Topic

Stinky Tent Q

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stinky Tent Q

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I was bummed to discover our car camping tent (an REI Kingdom 4) as I put it away a couple days ago. We’ve used it several times recently and I thought I had throroughly dried it each time when we got home.

The tent smells vaguely of sulfur. I can’t locate the smell to any specific location. It a mild smell, most noticeable when it’s in the storage sack.

I laid the tent, footprint and fly out in the sun for several hours yesterday. I thought maybe we had gotten some elk droppings on the tent last weekend and t just needed some air.

My son was helping me examine the tent and he noticed some dark spots on the footprint when it is held up to the light. He thinks those spots have a little bit of a smell but I’m not convinced.

I saw this thread which indicated a failing PU coating can smell like sulfur. The coating is not sticky anywhere, so I’m skeptical of coating failure.

I’d be thankful for any ideas here. We are heading out for a long trip camping on the NorCal coast soon and I’m concerned this will get worse in the moist ocean environment.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Mildew doesn’t smell like sulfur, does it?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

It a mild smell, most noticeable when it’s in the storage sack.

Storage sack is degrading???

any neighbor cats around that may have peed on it?

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I can’t help you with the smell except perhaps to say it may need a wipe down and the DWR redone.

BUT I would like you opinion on the REI Kindome tents in general and some specifics on the one you use.

I need a new winter basecamp tent and the Kingdom series are on sale this week for 25% off which would pay for shipping and the exchange rate

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

In an effort to further locate the source of the smell I have put the four components (fly, tent, storage bag, footprint) into four heavy trash bags. I’ll give them all the sniff test on Monday. I’ll report back with results later.

Edward, I’m happy to answer any questions about the tent. I can’t imagine using it in the winter, I find it very cold in shoulder season (right at freezing overnight) because of the height and large mesh areas.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Mainly to ask how it handes wind and if the quality of the manufacture is good and the guy attachment points aer srong enogh. I know if I bought one i’d have to use a tent liner becasue of all the mesh but I understand thet there are plenty of attchment points to do so already sewn in. Be careful of using trash bags, they increase the humidity if sealed up

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Stability is ok for a 6′ tall tent but it’s still a huge wind area. The fly has three guyout points per side iirc and they are probably 3-4′ off the ground. Setting the tent up in windy conditions is actually pretty challenging.

Good point about the trash bags although the tent spent ~4 hours in the sun Saturday. It should be pretty dry. Still, I’ll open them up this morning.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Oh, my Kingdom had a noticeable lack of attachment points on the interior. I can’t speak to the current model.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

sniff the bags and let us know outcome 

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

If the odor is caused by being wet too long, try the McNett Mirazyme product – this stuff works fairly well at removing that funky odor that builds up inside dry suits and kayak gear that gets wet often. You add the product to a bin of water, soak the gear, then let it air dry.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Thanx Matthew

I’m trying to find a winter basecamp tent that won’t break the bank and I thought the Kingdom series might be the basis of one with a little modification

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

When my PU coating went it smelled like vomit, at that point I understood why they call it PU.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

It’s weird.

Its definitely the body of the tent. The trash bags told us that.

We set the tent up outside and there was zero stink. We went over the entire tent in a methodical grid with our noses and couldn’t smell it anywhere.

We put the tent into two trash bags cinched down around the middle so that half of the tent was in one bag, the rest was in the other bag. They both smell equally of sulfur.

Weird, huh?

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

It does sound as if the PU is starting to deteriorate. How old is the tent as it should have a life of at least 10 years apart from UV damage.

Time to dilute some plumbers neutral silicon and do a repair ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools