Topic

Starlyte XL3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Starlyte XL3

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Complimentary 1st post

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Dimensions:

3″ Diameter at the lid

1-3/8″ in height

Weight including lid: 0.9 ounce (25/26 grams)

Fuel holding capacity is 3 fluid ounces in suspension. Will not spill out if accidentally knocked over. Very favorable feature in areas of “fire bans”

Body is made of food grade aluminum and has stainless steel mesh screen over the ceramic absorbing material. Has copper wick in center for easy ignition in extreme cold weather.

Works well in conjunction with Trail Designs Caldera cones of 900ml and larger.

Comes with tight fitting plastic lid that prevents vaporization of left over fuel. No need to empty unused fuel after boiling your water, just blow out the burner, let cool and then cover with lid. Lid should NOT be used to snuff out burner. Caution, Burner gets HOT

First  photo shows size comparison to original Starlyte burner

Cost: $23.00 + $4.00 shipping

BPL members get a free Dispense Cap that fits the yellow HEET fuel bottle. Just let mention BPL when you order.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-xl3.php

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Dan…Do you have any testing data you would like to share with the group??

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Ken, I’m not at my home in northern Illinois to perform good tests. I did send a prototype to a interested party on Whiteblaze. Here are his results:
    <div class=”header”><span class=”username”>ScareBear</span></div>
    <div class=”title”>Zelph Starlyte 3 Proto Test Report</div>
    <div class=”content”>

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on Zelph’s Starlyte 3 prototype. It does not have the pot supports attached, as the final product will, but I used a stainless steel grid screen that came with it to support the MSR Titan Kettle. The final product’s pot supports will be at the same height as the grid screen I used.

All alky stoves are very wind-sensitive. After my first try at a home-made windscreen, I honed my craft and for the second set of tests, I made a very effective windscreen out of heavy-duty aluminum foil.

The features of the Starlyte 3 that impressed me were:
    Capacity=holds 3 ounces
    Safety=the alcohol is held “in suspension” and isn’t just pooled.
    Speed=once I perfected my windscreen, I had consistent sub-7:30 boil times
    Weight=the unit, without lid or pot support screen weighs in at 27g!
    Cold Weather=has a copper “wick” installed to aid in cold weather ignition!
    Lid=keeps alcohol from evaporating during transport/storage/idle

So, the tests were run at 70 degrees ambient, 50 degrees water temp, 16 oz water, MSR Titan Kettle without lid, windscreen in place.

The average for the Starlyte 3 was 7:10 to boil and an average of 18g of fuel to reach boil.

These are, to me, excellent results for the unit. And, the Starlyte 3 has earned a place in the backpack, especially for trips less than 4 nights.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/123342-Zelph-Starlyte-3-Proto-Test-Report

</div>

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

What I love about my standard version of the Starlyte is that it is STUPID easy to use.

Pour in alcohol….flame to touch the metal mesh….fire!

Blow out when done to extinguish flame, let cool, snap cover on to conserve left over fuel in the stove.

No primer pan and very lightweight and affordable.

Tony

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Yes, super easy to use. This 3 ounce capacity version will be nice for the larger versions of the Trail Designs cones. When I return home in April, I’ll do some testing under a cone made for the Kmart grease pot that holds 4 cups. It works well with TD’s Foster cone.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The Starlyte XL3’s are back in stock finally :-)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

This type of burner(No Spill) is also well excepted by Rangers in Western States.

David Colbert
    BPL Member

@adkphoto

Locale: Central, New York

Dan,

I’d love it if I could buy this burner with a pot stand and windscreen (not a cone).

David

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

@adkphoto David, send me your email address and I’ll send you an invoice to include the items you want. It will include a stainless steel pot support that wraps around the burner for storage and a 6″ aluminum EZ-Fold windscreen. The “pot support” is made of 306 stainless steel, weighs 0.1 ounce and is 1″ tall

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=101307

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

A quote from recent post in a thread related to the Sterno Inferno stove kit.

I completed 3 tests recently using a Sterno Inferno :

2 cups starting temperature of water 80 degrees. Ambient air 80 degrees

Burner filled with denatured alcohol, weight 3 ounces

1st test: boiled in 8:20, weight of burner 2.6 ounce = 0.4 ounce used to boil 2 cups

2nd test: boiled in 8:30, weight of burner 2.2 ounce = 0.4 ounce used to boil 2 cups

3rd test: boiled in 8:22, weight of burner 1.9 ounce = 0.3 ounce used to boil 2 cups (beginning water temp 83 degrees with 83 degrees air temp) Temperature in my garage had increased since the beginning of my tests. Humidity was high, I did sweat a lot during tests, all in the effort to advance stove technology plus I like watching water boil.

Garett B
    BPL Member

@g1r2ts

Hey Dan, I bought a Starlyte back in June. It appears there is an upgraded version now. What benefits would I have if I bought the new Starlyte with the narrow burner for TD’s Caldera Cone?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The one in the above photo is the XL3. It will work just fine in the Caldera Cone. That is the one you purchased. Did you want the original size that is smaller than the XL3?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I recently made another batch of the XL3’s, plenty in stock for the holidays.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

Wow. I like the new website Dan. Very slick looking. At first I thought I clicked the wrong link! Haha. Enjoy your Turkey-day.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Thanks Christopher. My daughter has been trying her hand at developing something new and it’s coming along nicely. She is also my “shipping dept” :-)

Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

For those wondering, the XL3 I purchased still fits in the evernew 1300ml pot with the trail designs caldera cone and inferno rolled up inside the middle of the pot as well. Mini bic lighter and infernal chicken wire still fit on the same side as the xl3 leaving the other side open for a flexible fuel bottle.

* And just a plug for the reusable consealable cruise flask on amazon – it’s a flexible fuel bag essentially they just didn’t know it when they designed it. I’m still using the 8oz version for my HEET fuel. They were designed to stow alcohol away onto cruise ships inside your luggage. It only weighs 9g. They have great rating for not breaking and – the small version has a great narrow spout with screw on cap, holds 8 oz, and the pour is very well controlled into the Starlyte with the narrow spout. The fully loaded bag fits snuggly next to the caldera system inside the 1.3l pot but since its flexible it will fit in any pot taking up all the unused space. Each bag lasts me 4 trips before getting a little crunchy and opaque,  but they have never leaked. I highly recommend this as an alternative to the plastic bottle for packability and weight. They cost a 11$ For 3 of them last I checked.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

For those that have the ‘built in’ pot stand for the XL-3 stove, would you kindly measure the distance from the flame source to the top of the pot stand. I’d like to know the exact distance from the stove’s mesh and the bottom of a pot that will sit atop the pot stand.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Gary, I never made any with built in pot support. Too many folks out there want the ability to use a cover/lid on the burner to conserve unused fuel. A built in pot support would not allow a cover/lid.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

But Dan, don’t you make some sort of pot stand for the XL-3 (no matter that it isn’t ‘built in’)?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Gary, make the pot support 2 inches taller than the burner.

The XL3 has been performing very well in confined pot supports as indicated with the Sterno Inferno. It’s an excellent choice to be used with Caldera Cones being sold for pots with capacities of 4 cups and upward.

The burner holds 3 ounces of fuel and has a lid to conserve any unused fuel.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Thanks for your response, Dan, but I’m a bit confused now. When using the stock red pot stand the bottom of the Inferno pot sits 2.6875″ above the mesh of the top of the XL-3, and 2.375″ above the stove when using the 3-1/16″ stainless steel pot stand that I think you made for Bob (he kindly sent it to me so I could try to figure out why I wasn’t getting similar results as you and he did). Now you are suggesting that the distance should be 2.0″. How have you arrived at that precise distance? I am certain that there would be an optimal distance for the XL-3, but it isn’t clear to me just what that might be. Or, perhaps it is good over a range of distances?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

It’s not a precise distance, it an educated guess at being in the ballpark. My tests with the Inferno has opened up a new territory. The results have surely been enlightening. In the inferno thread I posted a photo of a flame showing the hottest part…the sweet spot if you will. I’m not able at this time to give out the “ideal” distance burner to bottom of pot until I’ve done more testing. I want to test a titanium pot support of the shortest possible and still maintain the efficiency of 1/2 ounce of fuel for 2 cups. You know….a Toaks Light 700, cone and a XL3.

I think you nailed by saying ” good over a range of distances”

It is certain though, the burner behaves well under a narrow diameter, enclosed pot support. You and Bob are witness to that.

The Starlyte XL3 http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-xl3.php

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Well, Dan, when you come up with a fairly precise stove-to pot distance for the XL-3 stove, please let us know.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Sure thing Gary, will do.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools