Topic

Starlyte stove: hard to light / leaving fuel in it

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Starlyte stove: hard to light / leaving fuel in it

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

I have Zelph’s Starlyte modified burner stove that I use with a myog cone. If I put in just enough alcholol needed to bring 1.5 C water to a boil (not much fuel), I have a hard time getting it to light.

I’ve tried turning the stove almost upside down, using a Bic lighter, and it still won’t light.

Any tips?

Or, if I load it up with fuel for an easier lighting, I have leftover fuel in it after the water boils and I snuff out the flame. Which kind of stinks up my pot where I store the stove…even with the plastic cap on the stove.

What has worked best for you?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I squirt a bit of fuel on every time. The new screw top version may solve your problem plus make Dan a few dollars.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Doug, I’ve had the same issue, though it hasn’t bothered me. I overfill a bit, and squirt a little on top just before lighting as Ken suggested. I don’t notice the remaining fuel stinking up my pot, but more likely that is due to my diminished olfactory capacity with age. So I guess the answer is to just wait until your my age and the pot won’t stink anymore ;-)

Lee W
    BPL Member

@ltw

Locale: Mojave Desert

Yup, just dribble a little out the mesh and on the ring and light it up quickly. Works every time.

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

I use UCO Stormproof matches. Just light, throw on top of the stove, and it’s good to go. The matches stay lit for a little longer that other matches, which probably helps out with heating the stove to the point that the alcohol is more likely to vaporize for combustion.  At higher altitudes the Bic’s can be hit or miss for easily being able to start.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I have a couple Starlytes but I haven’t used them much because I discovered Esbit around the time I got them. When I’ve had trouble lighting other alcohol stoves in the past I’ve always just dribbled a few drops of alcohol on a piece of foil under the stove which seems to bumpstart the vaporization and get things lit. Does it go without saying that one needs to be aware of dry grass and the like when taking this approach?

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Thanks for all the tips.

Maybe a bit of alcohol smell isn’t so bad, I just thought it might be a bit unhealthy.

I’ll try squirting a bit of fuel on the top/rim and lighting that.

I’m not sure “dribbling a little out of the mesh” is a real option when I put so little in to start with…and the mesh seems to soak it up. But I’ll give it a try too.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Return it, I”l give you a refund. 

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“I’ll try squirting a bit of fuel on the top/rim and lighting that.

I’m not sure “dribbling a little out of the mesh” is a real option when I put so little in to start with…and the mesh seems to soak it up. But I’ll give it a try too.”

It may seem counter intuitive, but you can reliably light a Starlyte by simply turning it upside down, or even 3/4 of the way upside down, and holding a match or Bic just below the mesh, as long as you don’t overfill it.  Then quickly turn it back right side up and carry on.  Give it a try.  It’s become my standard way to light one.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Dan Y—There’s nothing wrong with the burner/stove…it’s clearly user error! :)

Tom K—Yes, the turinng it over method is what I’ve been using. It just doesn’t work (for me) when I only have a little fuel in it.  But everyone’s suggestions are very helpful, so  I’m sure I’ll find a way that works for me with some experimentation.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools