Topic

Standards Watch: Introduction

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Standards Watch: Introduction

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Intro to a monthly column that explains important backpacking product standards, interviews key people, and analyzes industry standards.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Looking forward to your articles Rex. Thanks for taking this on.

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

Sorely needed. For backpacks, what I call pocket waste affects the usable volume. My zPacks Arc Blast (55 liters, plus about 3 liters for the add-on side pockets) seems nearly as big as my Jansport Carson 80. The reason is that the Carson has 6 pockets, a large lid, and a sleeping bag compartment. The 80 liters is measured assuming all pockets are exactly filled. But gear doesn’t fit this way, so the practical volume is much less. The Arc Blast is one big sack, plus a back mesh pocket, so the practical volume is closer to the stated volume.

So when you do packs, see if there’s a way to allow for lost space in partly-filled pockets and lids.

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

I’m really looking forward to these articles. I’d love to understand what “standards” are used to determine torso length, shoe size, and tent sizing. Seems like no one uses the same length ruler!

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

This sounds great!  Lotsa possibilities here.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

What I’d really love to see is after your series is over, is that it all get consolidated into a downloadable e-book, preferably in PDF format.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

As a tall guy, I find the most egregious inconsistencies in the labeling of tent dimensions.  It’s not that published dimensions are wrong, it’s that they’re irrelevant.  Floor length and width are utterly meaningless without knowledge of ceiling height at/near the edges.  Peak ceiling height is irrelevant in all cases unless the ceiling is completely flat.  All dimensions have different practical meanings for single- vs double-wall.  Etc.

I don’t expect this one to be easy.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions. Keep those ideas coming!

— Rex

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

Perhaps the length of a tent should not be the full length, but the length for which the internal height is more than 10 inches, 12 inches, or whatever to allow clearance for the sleeper’s head and the toe box of their sleeping bag.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

How long a coffin can you place in the tent?

(asking for a friend).

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

, I find the most egregious inconsistencies in the labeling of tent dimensions.
    Don’t pick on tents. The same criticism applies to many pack brands for capacity, for some sleeping bags over temp ratings and size, etc.
    It’s a competitive capitalist world with few prizes for honesty. All that matters is the bottom line for the next quarter.

Cheers

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

, I find the most egregious inconsistencies in the labeling of tent dimensions.
    Don’t pick on tents.

Don’t pick off the most important part of my sentence:  “As a tall guy…”  :-)

The same criticism applies to many pack brands for capacity, for some sleeping bags over temp ratings and size, etc.
    It’s a competitive capitalist world with few prizes for honesty.

The (dis)honesty of marketing is a separate matter, I think.  Even if all marketing were forthright and factual, there would be value in standards that allow meaningful comparison across manufacturers and products.

Max L.
    BPL Member

@mlehman

I’m relatively new around here, but this sounds like it will be a very interesting series. I love hearing the hows and whys of designs.

Fred A
    BPL Member

@bfp

It may be interesting to take a deep dive into waterproof/breathable rain parkas and the process of “Wetting-Out”.  Is there a way to differentiate captured perspiration versus rain migrating through the material?  This may help to define “Wetting-Out” in quantifiable terms to compare rain parkas.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools