Topic

Stainless steel windscreen/potstand combo, anyone has experience with?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Stainless steel windscreen/potstand combo, anyone has experience with?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andrea C
    BPL Member

@andreagattonero

Hi there.

Couldn’t find an answer to my question, what thickness would people use for a stainless steel windscreen/potstand?

I’ve done a couple of titanium ones, using 0.12mm (I guess is 0.005″) and 0.20mm (should be 0.008″) and pretty happy with it; but I’ve no experience with thin stainless steel sheet.

Not insterested in alluminium ones, as I like to have the option of using wood in emergency, so titanium and stainless are the candidates. The 0.12mm titanium is ok for a small cone, although one has to be careful to avoid it from buckles; the 0.20mm titanium is nice for a 1.5-2lt pot support :-).
    Both can be rolled easily as it needs, but I’m wondering if I should go for the same thickness for stainless steel sheet as well? My take is that 0.2mm stainless would be overkill and difficult to roll, probably a 0.10mm stainless is a good compromise if saving every gram is not of concern (I already have the Titanium cone for that).

Let me know your opinions about, thanks!

p.s. this is the 0.12mm cone that I’ve done as potstand/windscreen. Not trying to make a “Caldera cone rip-off” but as postand and windscreen works very well. Weights 26gr (0.9oz) and needs two tent pegs to support the pot. With a DIY “jet burner” can stove and pegs is about 60gr (2.12oz) and boils two cups of water in about 6 minutes in the field. that stove is fuel-hungry tho! :-)

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Andrea, Well, yeah, you *could* go with .010 SS. There are many grades of ti, SS that will work. Some is highly tempered and it has different alloys. Usually, you will find shim stock or roof flashing (around .020.) It takes heat pretty well. Why did you need it compared to the ti wind screen you have?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

0.003″ or 0.004″ Stainless Steel, full hard works for me.  My 2 cents.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools