Topic

Stainless steel seal-able pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stainless steel seal-able pot

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

While walking around Disneyland’s California Adventure, I found this pot in an artist display

After a little work, I was able to track this down as a stainless steel painter’s bucket used for cleaning paint brushes.  It was designed to use solvents and to be transportable so it has a gasket seal on the top.  I bought on on eBay for under $14 with shipping.

eBay link

OK stainless steel – check, water tight – check, cheap – check. It has 3 spring clips to hold the lid down for the seal and a wire bail.

So now for some measurements.

Weight – 7.7 ounces

Capacity – 670 ml

So, it is lighter than the Vargo SS BOT (8.4 oz) , it has a lower capacity and is 1/3 the price.

I am going to be testing it out over the next few days.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Wow, nice detective work! It won’t have the cross threading or pressure issues the Vargo does either.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Very nice. Link?

Google ” Stainless Bento” on amazon and ebay for more variations…

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

The link is just after the first photograph.  eBay

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

The link is just after the first photograph.  eBay

Thanks… sorry I missed it. It’s early!

That’s ideal for cooking in Plein Air… grin.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I bought a Keith Titanium .9L pot that also solves the issues that plague the Vargo BOT. Weighs 7.7 oz. on my cheapo kitchen scale. Comes with a nice cozy (1.2 oz). Much more expensive than Jon’s find though!

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Here is a quick demo video

YouTube video

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

At about 9 oz you can get a 1 l SS sealable pot :

I was trying to find out a type, in aluminium I think,  that we had at home when growing up…

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

Oh so funny, I’m a painter, have one, too heavy. Only for car expeditions for me…Holds turpentine well. Didn’t think the ultralight crowd would like ss. Talenti works fine for me hydrating food. but then I’m going stoveless.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

The main advantage to a metal pot that can be sealed is the ability to cold soak and cook in the same pot.  I made a chicken & wild rice with orange zest and crystallized ginger cubes for lunch yesterday.  If you cold soak wild rice for a few hours, you can cut the cooking time in half.  Since we have a fuel efficient simmering system, I just cooked it normally (mainly because I was hungry).

YouTube video

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

And you can dry bake in it….

YouTube video

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

Call me a chespskate if you like but I cold soak meals in a plastic 40 oz peanut butter jar with a glued in silicone gasket from the hardware store plumbing section. Total cost was $6.00.  When it doesn’t have food in it, it becomes a 1L+ water bottle and other uses.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

I agree, I usually soak soak in a ziplok freezer bag or light plastic,sealable container.  The paint bucket is a low cost option compared to the Vargo BOT or Keith rice maker, both about $100.  My 2 cents.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools