Topic

Sorensen Massdrop Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sorensen Massdrop Pack

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I cleverly just managed to delete Aaron Sorensen’s post about his new pack from Massdrop so here is the link:

Massdrop x Sorensen Shadow 28L Fast Pack

discuss amongst yourselves…

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I can’t think of a more interesting pack for $50. I might pick one up just to see how a chest harness fastpack works for me. Bummer they don’t show up until next March. I suppose March 2019 Matthew will be happy that August 2018 Matthew bought him a neat new pack…

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If only March 2019 Matthew could send back winning lottery numbers to August 2018 Matthew . . . .

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Best wishes Aaron. Count me in.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“If only March 2019 Matthew could send back winning lottery numbers to August 2018 Matthew . . . .”

Wouldn’t matter, he’d inadvertently delete the email…. :-)

Kevin B
    Spectator

@newmexikev

Locale: Western New Mexico, USA

So, BPL still pre-screens Aaron’s posts??!?

Sad.

Killing your best free content, Ryan.

Edit: this will be my first massdrop purchase

Kevin B
    Spectator

@newmexikev

Locale: Western New Mexico, USA

Aaron,
    Can you clarify the sizing. How large does the med/L model adjust to around the chest?

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Certainly interesting at that price point.

Weight looks great.

A little more front storage is what I’d ask for, if I were getting greedy.

Nice work, Aaron.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

$50 is a great deal on that pack. I don’t need another running pack – I’ve got 3. Or maybe I do….

Ryan

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

How different would this be from the UD fastpack 20?  Is there anything meaningfully different that would change the performance when running with 10lbs?

It looks like it has a little more rib strap so that might help but still has the clip to connect the harness to the pack at the bottom unlike say the Bawkin 3.0 which is sewn.

I already own a UD 20 so don’t really need this pack and would love a low cost 12-14L version but the value this pack offers looks really good

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I’ve never tried on this type of pack. Assuming I’m not running (because my tendons won’t let me), is this an improvement over a pack of similar specs with just regular shoulder straps and no hip belt?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

The pockets on the shoulder straps are nice for both runners and non-runners. It’s a good way to keep more items at hand and thus less need to stop and take your pack off.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

It seems to me that the bottom pocket offers lots of accessible storage for food, gloves, etc. diminishing the need for tons of storage up front. Individual preferences vary but I do not like the feeling of a “crowded cockpit” and many running vests seem cluttered up front.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

I’ve never tried on this type of pack. Assuming I’m not running (because my tendons won’t let me), is this an improvement over a pack of similar specs with just regular shoulder straps and no hip belt?

I have a ZPacks Zero with no waist belt, which is basically a sack with shoulder straps attached to it. I also have a handful of packs similar to Aaron’s (UD FP20, FP25 and FP30).

I find that the Zero works great on trail, but not as great off-trail, due to the way it can swing and alter my CG during heroic talus leaps (note that this could probably be fixed by a <1 oz waist strap; I haven’t tried, due to the lack of front storage on the Zero–more on that below.)

So, I take one of the FP options if I am either a) going to be doing any running, or b) going to be off-trail.

The situation where I’d consider the zero–on trail, multi-day fastpacking–hasn’t come up in the last couple years. I might take the zero, but I have to rig my own front storage on it, which ends up being kind of kludged together. In that case, I might just the pay the small weight penalty (few oz) and go with an UD (or Aaron’s) pack.

It seems to me that the bottom pocket offers lots of accessible storage for food, gloves, etc. diminishing the need for tons of storage up front. Individual preferences vary but I do not like the feeling of a “crowded cockpit” and many running vests seem cluttered up front.

I’ve never tried a pocket like that, so I can’t comment based on experience. It will be a blind pocket that you can’t see. I can see shoving one or two things in, but not lots of little things–fishing them out might be a pain. I’d probably just stuff trash in it, and after you stuff one piece of trash in, getting anything out that isn’t that piece of trash might be a pain.

I’m speculating mostly, because again, I haven’t tried a pocket like that before.

So, two bottle holders + that is still not the front storage I tend to like on multi-night trips: Snacks, phone, water, water treatment (if not integrated into the water bottle), camera, maps, sunblock, hand sanitizer, chapstick… in a perfect word, Delorme Mini and pole storage, too.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Interesting.  I prefer no waist belt when my load is under 20 pounds (but hesitate to cut them off of packs that have them).  And the more vest-like shoulder straps are intriguing. The best-equipped carpenters, police officers, and backpackers keep their most used items handy and spend less time packing-unpacking everything.

There seems to be a typo, “1cm HDPE sheet backed to 1cm 5lb EVA foam” because I doubt it’s 1 centimeter of HDPE.  ***1 mm*** of HDPE bonded to 1 cm of foam would create sort of a “foam-core” construction that would be much stiffer/weight and more impact resistant than the foam alone.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I think the bottom pocket and front pockets serve different purposes. The nice thing with a bottom pocket is that it can accommodate items too large to fit in most pockets. Things like maps, windshirts etc. You only want to put larger stuff here so it’s easy to find. Then the front pockets handle the smaller stuff like bars, sunglasses, sunscreen etc. I think a bottom pocket is great, but comes at the expense of durability.

I like hipbelts are pretty much every pack even if it’s not for load carrying. It just like the pack to not move around when I bend over to tie my shoes or am jumping talus. But the double sternum straps on this might do well enough.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Is Aaron able to reply to this thread?

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Aaron has been very active on the MassDrop discussion.  If you have a question for him you should ask it there.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

^^ thanks. I have his email as well.

Is Aaron able to reply to this thread?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Aaron is a member and can post on the forums at BPL, except when I accidentally delete his posts.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Looking forward to Aaron’s posts getting into the details instead of being bombarded with sizing questions like over on Massdrop.

How do people feel about reflective bits on clothes and packs? I see this pack has a bit. Is that a plus or a minus for you?

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

How do people feel about reflective bits on clothes and packs? I see this pack has a bit. Is that a plus or a minus for you?

Slight positive. I prefer to be seen rather than not seen.

My days of wearing camo are over (as are my days of being ineligible for VA loans).

Kind of wish he would’ve put SORENSEN in big reflective block letters down the back. That would’ve earned a hearty chuckle from me.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

“Kind of wish he would’ve put SORENSEN in big reflective block letters down the back. That would’ve earned a hearty chuckle from me.”

Lol. Sounds like an easy update for V2.

Ryan

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Looks good – I am in as well.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Congratulations Aaron on 200 packs sold so far!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools