Topic

Sonnet: Mobile Communication Without Cellular Reception

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sonnet: Mobile Communication Without Cellular Reception

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I just received an E Mail about this device.

Any comments ?

(I don’t use mobile phones, so not for me…)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Seems a lot like the GoTenna on steroids. Not that interesting to me.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Got that mail too. Have an inReach so not interested. Too limited of a range also.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Here’s the Sonnet Kickstarter page:

https://tinyurl.com/y8kyxlb2

(Used TinyURL because a direct Kickstarter link does … unusual things here.)

Comments there point out some interesting differences vs GoTenna.

They also mention that the biggest “mesh” they’ve actually tested is 3 units.

Uses 915 MHz between units in North America – mostly line of sight, with good penetration of forest and foliage, but won’t go around or through mountains. Take the 5 km / 3 mi range with a big grain of salt in the mountains.

— Rex

Matthew Alan Thyer
    BPL Member

@feetforbrains

Locale: Pacific North West

I have a pair of these coming as soon as October. They are more or less a hardened version of goTenna. I’m going to wire one into my van with a better antenna and amplifier and use it as a base station for networking in and around my vehicle. Expect a better write-up about them some time soon.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools