Topic

Some Notes On Inexpensive Gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Some Notes On Inexpensive Gear

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Daniel M
    BPL Member

@sprucemountain

Some notes on inexpensive gear.

For some of us there are a number of demands on our cash, and as we’re not given free gear we have to be thoughtful about our purchases and find good value for acceptable performance.  This is a random selection of inexpensive equipment I’ve used over the past couple of years that have done well in the outdoors.

Trekking Poles:  Cascade Mountain Tech Carbon Fiber Quick Lock Trekking Poles.  I know that there was a long discussion here recently about poles but these are a really good buy.  Cork grip, decent weight (7.8 oz.) accessories, and they cost me about $35.00.  I’ve got about a thousand miles in the mountains of Vermont on mine and they’ve never given me a moment of trouble.  From time to time I notice that one pole is a little shorter then the other so it’s time to tighten the locks, very easy.  I find the snow baskets useful snowshoeing in the winter and I’ve used the rubber tips on road walks.  I can’t really see spending $200.00 for trekking poles when these are available.  I got mine from Amazon.

Backpack: I had been using a Rayway pack I made myself.  I liked it a lot (11oz. with sternum strap, lots of room, very flexible as to load, etc.) but I developed a spasm in my right shoulder.  I tried foostering with the straps, load and all but it didn’t go away.  I decided that I probably needed a pack with a hip belt.  Someone at Backpacking Light liked a My Trails pack so I checked them out and bought a 50L pack.  I’ve had it out for about 60 winter day hikes, not a full load but extra clothes, food and safety gear so it was around 12 pounds or so.  Recently I did a five day trip with a full load.  It really did well.  It’s very comfortable, it’s nice to have a hip belt and load lifters, and I like it’s simplicity.  I got it on sale for around $135.00 (it’s worth waiting for one of their very frequent sales) and at the price it can’t be beat.  Oh, the spasm went away.

Sleeping Bag: This won’t be new here, but I bought an Aegismax for warm weather trips.  It was $75.00 and weighs under a pound.  If you use their compression sack you can get it down to the size of a golf ball but I hate to compress bags too much so I just stuff it down into my pack.  I’ve used it about a dozen times and it’s worked fine, never below 50 degrees.  No doubt you can extend it’s lower range in the usual ways; clothing, bivvy sacks, etc.  I love it’s silky feel and it’s quite comfy.

Waterproof/Breathable Shell: This one’s for the DIY crowd.  I got a pattern from Green Pepper (Men’s Fairbanks Pullover) and sewed it up from Weathertec fabric from Quest.  It’s about 6 oz. and I’ve used it most of the past winter (in temps above zero) in snow, sleet and hail as well as light rain and mist.  It works great as a wind shell and so far has kept the wet out.  I haven’t been out in a real rainstorm yet (it’s been a long and cold winter) but so far I like it.  It has pit zips, hand warmer pockets and a zipped chest pocket with a velcro flap that’s handy for a phone.  Caution: it’s not an easy project, the instructions are a bit vague.  But a lot cheaper then comparable high end shells.  If you don’t count your labor.

Odds n’ Ends: My stove is the BRS 2000.  I’ve used it hundreds of times with no problems.  I cook my food in a Stanco Grease Pot (thanks Dixie!), lighter then most titanium pots and I believe the squat shape cooks food faster.  I think.  No doubt someone here has tested this.  I have an old lexan spoon I’ve had for over 30 years and see no reason to change.  Which brings up old gear.  One great way to save money is not to but new stuff.  I’ve had the same North Face sleeping bag for over 50 years now and it still keeps me warm on the coldest nights.  I love it.  But it’s about twice as heavy as a modern bag with the same rating.  (It’s about 4 pounds.)  I’m thinking of a long trip (five weeks) this fall so I’ll probably spend the money on a new bag.  At almost 70 with the usual age-related problems, I do have to keep things light.  Besides, if I invest in another top quality bag I might get another 50 years out of it.

Kevin Buggie
    BPL Member

@kbug

Locale: NW New Mexico

IMUSA aluminum 700ml pot from Walmart.  $7  Zelph made lid

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

From pmags, using military surplus wool gloves.  I use mine as insulation and in camp over some sun gloves (on sale).  Just singed mine using a camp stove – no drama at $5-ish ($6 if you want fancy features).

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

A lot of the stuff we talk about here on backpackinglight  is expensive, cutting-edge ultralight gear. There’ve been threads about the “gentrification”  of ultralight backpacking, and I’m not so sure it isn’t true. It’s nice to be reminded that someone can get much lighter without having to spend a lot of money. Thanks for bringing us down to earth Daniel. Actually it shows more savvy to achieve ultralight on a budget than it does to simply go out and buy all of the latest and greatest (expensive) ultralight gear.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara
    brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

2 of my fave things bout BPL are hit w this thread

buy Used. A much needed ethos in 2019. If you have patience, ALL the “best” stuff gets resold at some point. I have enjoyed this path…have owned a few pair of used shoes even.

and hey, aint GSwap the best venue ever to that end

(i must admit i still chuckle when a cuben shelter w 100 nites on it gets listed for 90% of retail LOL)

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

and hey, aint GSwap the best venue ever to that end

It sure is. I’ve bought, I’ve sold, and I’ve given stuff away. It’s great! My only beef with it is that it’s not a place to unload any of your old heavy stuff.

Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

McO is rolling over in his tyvek sheltered grave at such heresy

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Used for me. I very rarely buy new stuff and even if I go to REI, I’m headed straight to the gear garage or buying consumables.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools