Topic

Some interesting comparisons between reddit and BPL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Some interesting comparisons between reddit and BPL

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Some good, some not. Fair bit of truth. Couple of things wrong.

BPL vs r/Ultralight? (pure curiosity, not a shootout) from Ultralight

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Reddit seems a lot more active now than BPL.  A lot of former posters are on Reddit or both forums now.  Quite a few young people felt a little disconnect with BPL.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Reddit completed a wiki page on UL backpacking.  Congrats to them!

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I think one Reddit’s poster’s point describes my own hiatus from BPL — for many months (almost a year, could it be?), BPL’s transition to a new software platform made it literally unusable.

When it takes 5 minutes to load the Recent Topics page, then another 5 minutes to load a thread, and still another 5 minutes to load each page… yeah, not worth it.  I have enough frustrations in my daily life; I didn’t need the additional ones from the World’s Worst Website (WWW).

Many months later, I tried BPL again for whatever reason, and the problems have been resolved, but I totally understand that not everyone bothered to check back.  Modern life -> on to the next thing!

OTOH, I haven’t explored the Reddit UL platform at all; I do know, however, that *certain* people on BPL are worth staying for…  Over the years, fortunately, most of the *ssholes have come and gone — but some of the core members are people I can respect.  That’s saying a lot.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I frequently find the conversation on reddit to be aggressive and uncivil.

The dominant perspective is fairly narrow and seems heavily influenced by PCT/AT thru-hikers and social media stars. Too much focus on everyone posting the same gearlist.

Reddit is more active than BPL and there is useful advice there on a good day. I participate occasionally but much of it seems like the same thing over and over.

There is a larger diversity of opinion and more experience here on BPL. I learn much more on BPL but I go to Reddit if I’m bored and avoiding work or other productive activities.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Although I haven’t looked at Reddit much, when I did I found most of the discussion to be shallow or overly opinionated.  A small fraction of posts seemed to reflect real knowledge and experience, but I couldn’t be sure.  At BPL I’m much more confident of getting correct information based on experience.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

At BPL I’m much more confident of getting correct information based on experience.

Very true.  I’ve seen a lot of “common sense” type advice that is outright wrong.  This is expected with less experienced hikers but due to the amount of posting and the ratio of experienced to inexperienced there’s a lot of incorrect advice that goes unchecked.  As the user base matures this might be less on an issue.

Reddit in general has an issue with group-think and the downvote/upvote really encourages that behavior.

At BPL there’s an impression that UL has peaked so there’s little to discuss.  I think the dwindling BPL user base vs. the growing Reddit user base indicates there is a lot of interest in the subject and much to still discuss.  Pay-to-post model on BPL is a surefire way to slowly kill your community.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Oh yes. Now that BPL has ads a voluntary subscription base would be better. Free even more so. It’s not like BPL is churning out regular content anymore. And as always the gold is in the forums.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I think it’s beneficial to remember that Reddit is a series of communities, BPL is a business.

Or, perhaps better: Reddit feels like a series of communities, BPL feels like a business.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Advanced Publications is mega corporate. BPL is cottage by comparison.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“Advanced Publications is mega corporate. BPL is cottage by comparison.”

Yeah, that’s why I added the edit. Reddit just doesn’t feel like mega corporate.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Not that run out of the back room of the service station vibe.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Oh yes. Now that BPL has ads a voluntary subscription base would be better. Free even more so. It’s not like BPL is churning out regular content anymore. And as always the gold is in the forums.

This. I come to BPL for the forums, and the people. The content is good, but I wouldn’t join for just the content. However, I joined back when a lifetime membership was $30. I joined for that, and it’s been well worth it. I wouldn’t join today with the monthly subscription plans. No way.

How many me’s are out there, not joining? Too many. If BPL gets below critical mass, then the forums fail, and BPL fails.

Bring back the $30 lifetime subscription, says I.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Oh yes. Now that BPL has ads a voluntary subscription base would be better.
    We could not agree more.
    However, as many older BPL readers will remember, after an upgrade in a commercial hacker kit (yes, you can buy them on the web), BPL was inundated by shoe spammers, selling (mostly) fake Nikes. I was deleting over 50 accounts per day.
    A small token subscription fee cut them off like the celebrated guillotine.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

This day in age there has to be a way to deal with the hackers and make the forums free.  Other sites clearly manage it.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Forum wasn’t even on the current platform then Roger.  Adapt or die.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

This is the only pay-to-post forum I’ve encountered in all my years of internet usage.  If it was a good solution to the problem of spammers others would follow.  The “solution” also directly impacts real users who would participate but balk at paying to post.  It makes very poor business sense as well, since more users = more ad revenue.  Slowly killing off the user base will doom the site.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Jacob
    BPL Member

@jakeyjohn1

This is the only pay-to-post forum I’ve encountered as well and that is why I use it.

I never thought of the pay wall as a way to stop spammers, but rather as a way to stop casual commenters/trolls. I assume the only people posting here are people who care about the topics. Also the price to post is comparable to park entry fees or camp stove fuel costs; it shouldn’t prevent people who partake in backpacking from being able to post.

This forum format is far better for information sharing and cataloging than reddit (made for entertainment) or social media (made for being social). Other websites of this format that are free to post are struggling to get by on ad revenue/sponsorships alone.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

JCH True. Nothing if not consistent here.

Mark V.
    BPL Member

@room210

Locale: Northern California

At BPL there’s an impression that UL has peaked so there’s little to discuss.  I think the dwindling BPL user base vs. the growing Reddit user base indicates there is a lot of interest in the subject and much to still discuss.

This kept me from posting more and spending endless hours searching. Of course, for the most part, it stays civil here.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools