Topic

ZPacks Solplex v Altaplex for me

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ZPacks Solplex v Altaplex for me

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

when I can’t use my hammock — above treeline or at assigned site where I’m not sure of the tree situation. My question mainly boils down to: which is better in the wind?

Important detail. I used Black Diamond carbon cork poles (which I love and don’t want to change) that only go to 51 inches, so I’d need a pole jack for the Altaplex. How would affect the wind-worthiness (one review noted concern about that juncture flexing)

otherwise:

Solplex pluses: lighter, smaller footprint, no need to carry a jack, seems like better venting on the backside

Altaplex pluses: aesthetically like it better, if I broke or dropped a pole out reach I’d still have one to use, says it can be pitched lower in wind, more spacious if I’m stuck in it for awhile, steeper walls might mean less risk of condensation dripping

# stakes seems like a wash: 8 for Sol; 6 min/10 max for Alta

I’m 5’6″, so I don’t need the Alta for height or anything. In the Pacific Northwest. I’m thinking: what would I want for going solo in Wonderland, the Enchantments, higher up in Oly. (I probably won’t pull the trigger until after I get permits or not.)

Have I considered a classic mid? Yeah, mild interest in Locus Gear, but I think i like the all-in-one plex idea better. I’d want to do an inverted-V if I had a classic mid. which steers me away from MLD because of the pole height.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

A lot of the designated campsites in the Olympics are in heavily forested valleys, so a smaller footprint might be an advantage there (unless using the hammock in those sites). I suspect both shelters would handle the winds just fine for regular 3 season use if you staked them well and covered the stakes with heavy rocks whenever possible when camping at less sheltered sites (core Enchantments area in the Fall). It may boil down to how much internal space you prefer.

Have you considered the Hexamid Solo? Other than having a lower entry height (29″ under the beak) is has many of the benefits of the Solplex (smaller footprint, lower peak height, less weight) and the Altaplex (one pole and more internal space).

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@parkerjw

Locale: East Bay

I really enjoy my Altaplex at 16.9oz and there is a lot of room for me and my pack.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I do almost all of my hiking in the North Cascades and Olympics and would be worried about any of the Zpacks shelters above the tree line, especially in shoulder season. I use my Hexamid Twin in the summer, but mostly in the trees. I think you should reconsider the Mid option, but size up. Consider the MLD DuoMid. Lots of folks use the solo inner-net from MLD, leaving a huge vestibule area. Just leave it behind when the bug pressure is gone. I use an MLD DuoMid when hiking solo, paired with a Zpacks poncho/ground sheet and a S2S bug net if I am worried about mosquitos.  With a single pole set-up off center, there is still a ton of room. It has a higher fiddle factor then using the inner-net, but it is lighter overall (dual use groundsheet/poncho) and very flexible. Even using a pole jack the set up will be bomb proof.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I have pretty much settled on the Duomid as my go-to shelter – the modular nature of it works really well.  But when it’s just me and I need the innernet, I just leave it attached inside and there is no fiddle factor at all.

I get to camp, set out the Duomid, stake out for corners then put the pole in the middle (yes I use a jack but it’s no big deal at all – just goes in the stake bag and I never notice it).  My friends on the CT (one used a duplex and one used a Big Agnes fly creek) used to laugh that I would be in my tent sound asleep by the time they would get their tents up – mine was just so fast and so simple…even in high winds it was just so darned easy to pitch – with the inner attached.  It’s about as close to a perfect shelter as you’re going to find (and I’m always right about everything – so there!)

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Alright, alright. Heart says a plex, but brain says a mid. This purchase must be the exposed-spot shelter, otherwise I’d be in the hammock.  I’ll start a new thread about my pole length/jack hang ups!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools