Topic

Solo shelter advice, JMT and beyond

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Solo shelter advice, JMT and beyond

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Hi all – would love your opinions on which solo shelter to bring on a JMT thru-hike and for longer term solo use, from you folks who frequent the Sierras.

A few details:

• Most trips I share a shelter, so at this time I don’t have a solo rig dialed in.
    • My experience is in the Rockies and lots of other places, first time in the Sierras.
    • June 20 permit from Cottonwood Lakes to Tuolumne Meadows, our goal in approximately 12-14 days.
    • I will be sleeping solo but hiking in a small group and need to be adaptable to campsite locations.
    • I don’t want to buy an entirely new set-up, but am willing to spend money on something I will get use out of down the line, mostly in Colorado where I live.
    • Aesthetic preference is for sleeping out whenever possible: cowboy > bivy > net tent.

Based on that, which would you bring?

1. Yama Swiftline 2P (~34 oz; $0) – sees regular use with my daughter. Easy choice to just bring this, but of course I could go lighter with…
    2. 8 x 10 flat tarp + Yama net tent (~28 oz; $0) – slightly fiddly combo but works OK.
    3. Yama Cirriform tarp + Yama net tent (~28 oz; +$175) – smallest footprint on the list and much easier to set up than the flat tarp with or without the net tent; would need to buy it though.
    4. 8 x 10 flat tarp + bivy (~20-22 oz; +$100-180) – scarred after putting up with mosquitos for a few nights in a bivy that was too small for me, but am considering springing for a bigger one and giving it another shot. Could see a lot of use after the JMT as well (although I could just use the net tent on the ground like a bivy).
    5. 8 x 10 flat tarp + STS nano (~19 oz; +$53) – nano for skeeters, tarp for rain; up there at the top of the fiddly list, but my lightest option; perhaps a bit colder.

Thanks!

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I hike in the Sierra a few times a year between late spring and fall.  I normally cowboy camp in a bivy and use a small tarp when the weather requires it.  Use to use a 6’x8′ one.  Now it’s more like 7’x9′.  Never had an issue even in the occasional light snow (under 8″).  Pick your camp location well and you’ll have no problems using any tarp.

As for your inner netting.  How much of one depends on how long you’ll spend in camp and the time of year.  In the late summer/fall, there are hardly any bugs unless you are in a wet meadow.  In Spring, they are everywhere below the snow line.  If you only stop to sleep and maybe eat, a bivy is all you need.  If you are planning on spending a few hours around camp, then having some extra room to move around in if they are in large numbers or the weather is bad may be desired.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Good advice^

I prefer the simplicity of a breathable bivy (MLD Superlight or Borah equivalent) mostly because of the simplicity of camping most nights… You just drop it and go to sleep. I also don’t spend a ton of time in camp and don’t like hanging out in a tent.

My preference for a shaped tarp rather than a flat tarp because it takes less stakes and (in my experience) way less cord to make that work. I prefer a mid because I like the side entry and square footprint over the YMG shaped tarp you mention but that is just preference.

I like the option of sleeping above treeline or in exposed spots. I don’t want to commit to always sleeping down low.

I’ve never used it but I’ve got a 2P inner for my mid. Depending on bug pressure My hiking partner and I might decide to use it rather than our bivies. I like knowing I have the option.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have been using a MLD Soul Zip in eVent with a MLD Poncho Tarp since 2009-2010 in the Sierras and on the JMT in 2011….Late Aug and Early Sept.

eVent bivy is total over kill….8 x 10 tarp with a lightweight bivy like the Superlight would be fine and offer a lot of flexibility……tried and true.

A suggestion that touches on what others have mentioned: MLD SoloMid and Inner Net

If I had to replace my setup or if I had a trip where I expected a lot of rain, this is what I would go with.

A Mid allows you to sit up while in bad weather and cook inside your shelter….laying on your side, belly or back under a tarp for long stretched of time can be uncomfortable.

The Mid has the advantage of being much easier to setup vs. all the guy lines of a tarp.

Mid handles high winds like a champ and can handle light to moderate snow loads.

The inner net/tent (in theory) would have less issues with condensation vs. a bivy and more room to move around.  (Condensation is a constant issue with my bivy, but that also has to do with dew point/weather conditions…just a problem that bivies will have)

One big advantage of a bivy that I love is that cowboy camping with just the bivy is great and offers some warmth and wind protection….a mesh inner net/tent had less condensation, but less ability to provide extra warmth to a sleep system and breezes are not really blocked.

Anyway, hope this helps…..but a larger tarp with bivy should be fine on the JMT.

Over the years, I have only had a handful of times where I was rained on and it was rarely more than a few hours.

Tony

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

Isn’t a June 20 start date possibly too early because of snow?  There is a website posthole.com or something….

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I don’t have experience, but what about a MLD Grace or Patrol tarp with the MLD Bug Bivy or Serenity Bugnet?

Axel J
    BPL Member

@axel-t

BA Platinum 2. Roomy, freestanding, quick and easy. In the summer, there are plenty of bugs, uneven rocky ground, wind and some rain…this tent can handle that.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Switching from the Rockies to the Sierra the last several summers, I’d go with a separate net/tarp set up. There’s plenty of nights to be spent under the star. Having a mid helps when there’s a serious storm, but Sierra storms seem a rarer occurance than the Rockies for me (thus far … hope I didn’t just channel the lightning spirits).

My best theoretical solution would be a partial fabric inner tent for a little more storm protection (when a Sierra storm happens, it can really hit), a little breeze block while using said net tent, and a little privacy as the Sierra gets real popular real quick (you’ll often share flat spots other JMTers and PCTers). Something like an Ooggworks inner for the USA crowd ..

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Thanks, everyone, great advice.

Mid with inner: seems like many here have migrated to this combo as a year-round set-up. I see the advantages. Years ago I had a Gatewood Cape, and we have a Shangli-La 5 we use from time to time. Guess I was just thinking if I already own a flat tarp, what could I add to make that work, and also use in other scenarios? The bivy suggestions make sense in this regard. But dang, a Solomid XL sounds so nice!

Tony – I’m kinda jealous of your Soul bivy. Speaking from zero experience but the simplicity of that has always been attractive. It’s just one thing. How that would feel over a two-week hike?

Erica – Our permit is on the early side but it’s what we could make work with our schedules. From what I understand even an average snow year means we will be dealing with snow and bigger creeks. We could have the fun of both snow and the mosquito hatch.

Axel – others in our group have BA shelters. I like them, too, but have a Swiftline which is comparable in weight and performance. It’s not freestanding, or a 4-stake ‘mid, but surprisingly easy to pitch!

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

snowpack report is at postholer. We are ahead of average this year but not crazy like some years. My guess is that there will be some snow in the passes but nothing that would stop someone from completely the JMT.

Of your options I would go with 8 x 10 flat tarp + bivy. It should be early enough that the mosquitos won’t be too bad and rain not that common, so a bivy and generally cowboy camp + a tarp (or poncho/tarp) in the unlikely case of rain sounds like the best option given your specifications. Later in the season I personally like a bug free space to stretch out.

I  have been pretty happy with the original version of the hexamid. If I was buying a solo shelter for general use (e.g. not just JMT during early summer) I would look at the tarptent Aeon-Li or MLD DuoMid XL. I have written up some recommendations for ultralight shelters with some other thoughts.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

@Chris

Moving to a tarp and bivy was a “leap of faith” for me to save weight and hoping that I would be okay with the narrow confines of living in a bivy.

I did the JMT in 2011 over a 15 day period living out of my bivy.

Once I mentally adjusted to “head space” of being in my bivy…I can tell you honestly that there were times where I felt it was roomy and cozy.

Until you have spent a night or two in a bivy, you won’t know if it is for you.

That said, I love the simplicity of being able to unroll my bivy and drop it in the smallest of places to call home for the night.

I have enjoyed many a moon lit nights sleeping with my bivy unzipped and the top folded back for an open air night….I have woken up the next morning with a bug or two in my bivy, but nothing that ate my face or freaked me out.

I love my bivy, but I do think that a mesh inner tent is nearly the same weight as a bivy, but provides more interior space, less or no condensation and might have nearly as small as a foot print as the bivy….just lacking the wind protection that my bivy provides me….so I might end up having to pitch a Mid to go with the inner tent for the wind protection….extra work vs. laying out a bivy.

What I do like about the idea of the innernet  and mid is that as a combination, it can handle a lot of bad conditions and the simplicity IF you had to pitch a tent.

Alternatively, a bivy plus mid gives you a ton of options, but the inner net has superior living space and breath ability vs. bivy.

Anyway, mental gymnastics…..

Tony

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m going to emphasize what HK said:

“when a Sierra storm happens, it can really hit”

I hiked the JMT starting June 15, 2015 (lowest snow year in recorded history) and we got absolutely slammed on two nights. It happens.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

OK, I think I have a better idea of what to expect and what to practice or purchase this Spring, thanks all.

@matthewkphx
    , @miner, @valshar – if you had to buy a bivy from Borah or MLD now, which would you go for? ~ $180 gets you the Borah with cuben bottom (I like the less slippery factor), while ~ $200 gets you the size large Superlight (full head net, sil floor). Weight aside, I’m curious about the ergonomics/feel of the head section on these. Any noticeable difference?

@verber
    – regarding the Hexamid, what are your thoughts on the new .51 DCF Pocket Tarp? Lacking the storm doors and netting, but 3.8 oz! Thank you for the link to your site, I’ve visited it in the past looking for info as well. Not sure if the shelters you have listed are just ones you’ve had experience with, but the two-person Swiftline is competitive with the others on your list in terms of weight, interior volume and storm-worthiness.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I used a flatish tarp one year on the JMT; got lucky with two storms, and would never use one again.  Wind changes direction, just like that!  Blowing rain down the length of the tarp is always a possibility, even with the best pitch and “proper location”.

If you skimp on the size of your bug protection rest area, just bring a good head net for your sanity.  Bugs come and go in the Sierras, and I’ve never found any pattern.  Near water, away from water, near meadow, away from meadow, mountain pass, 8000 foot valley, etc.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

@geokite – I hear ya. Last summer I was camped under a flat tarp in trees on the edge of meadow and got mixed up in an microburst-style event that came out of nowhere, lasted 20 minutes, blew under the tarp from all directions, and left as soon as it came. The rest of the night was calm and clear (as was the evening leading up to the zephyr) but the lesson was learned.

Bug info noted.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

I’m partial to my MLD Trailstar – it does take up more room but provides great protection and allows me to camp in exposed spots. In really inclement weather or if bugs are a problem, I use my MLD Superlight bivy.

I’ve used MLD Trailstar + Superlight bivy across the Sierra at all elevations and in a range of conditions starting in the Spring to late Fall. It’s never failed me.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

@Chris,

With a bivy, assuming that you using a tarp/open shelter of some sort, I would require/want a solid head space with the all mesh option of the Borah.

I have had a number of nights where there was a steady or strong breeze that would have chilled my head if I did not have some sort of protection from the wind.  (I do wear a hat when I sleep, but I don’t think that is enough protection from a cold breeze)

The weight of the Borah is outstanding, but I am in a place where I would add weight for more functionality…protection.

Tony

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

I have been using the original hexamid which was is the pocket tarp + sewn on netting.  I wrote a hexamid, 1st gen review with a fair bit about it’s performance in rain and wind. Sort answer… rain coming straight down it works well.  All but the most extreme side blown rain would be manageable, with you are careful or have a light weight bivy.

As to the shelters I listed… I generally only list shelters I have personally used multiple times. I sometimes will list shelters that have been used in my presence or  shelters I haven’t personally seen… but in these cases I will make it clear my recommendation is not coming from personal experience.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Love my Solomid. Don’t forget about fog and mist. More than one way to get soaked out there. We had sunny, clear days but with a daily inversion that soaked everything overnight.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Chris, I have a Superlight bivy and my kid has the Borah equivalent, both with silnylon bottoms. His is slightly lighter, mine has a more refined footbox but I don’t think it matters. I’d probably go Borah if I had to replace mine tomorrow.

One detail: Borah only puts one slider on the zipper by default. My son gets frustrated by the closed position of the zipper on his whereas I can split it above my head near the hang point or wherever I want.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

Chris, hiking the JMT in June you will have mosquitos.  My preference for an “inner” in bug season is the MLD superlight bivy.  I’ve used an A-16 bug bivy (free standing 3′ diameter mesh dome) and though it has the advantage of the mesh and bugs being well away from your face, for less weight the MLD bivy provides better overall protection.

June weather can be variable, meaning you could get a several day rain, so would carry a large enough tarp to have some wiggle room.  I have the MLD cuben grace tarp duo.  When needed I set it up as an a-frame with my hiking staffs.  8 guy lines/stakes.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’d take my Tarptent Moment DW solo tent. Fast setup W/ 2 stakes, very wind worthy and 2 doors/vestibules. 2 lbs. 4 oz.

Once while on a hunting backpack I stayed in my Moment DW in an all day rainstorm on the trail to Mt.Moriah, NV and it was quite “bearable”. Buy 4 PM the rain turned to snow and I was able to get out and cook my dinner.

BUT… this summer I may buy a Tarptent Notch Lithium which has the same footprint as my Moment DW but is a full pound lighter. As I age into geezerhood I’m going lighter (as is my wallet). Last year, for example, I bought a Browning X-Bolt Pro 6 lb. 1 oz. “semi-custom” mountain rifle with a carbon fiber stock and other lightening features. That set me back nearly 2 grand so I guess I can spring for the Notch Li.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

you had to buy a bivy from Borah or MLD now, which would you go for? ~ $180 gets you the Borah with cuben bottom (I like the less slippery factor), while ~ $200 gets you the size large Superlight (full head net, sil floor). Weight aside, I’m curious about the ergonomics/feel of the head section on these. Any noticeable difference?

I had a sil-nylon floor Super Bivy with the half moon face in mid 2009, then got a cuben fiber Borah Gear Bivy in early 2014 as I wanted better ventilation then the half moon provided and the Borah was really light, and when the zipper failed, I got a cuben fiber floor MLD Superbivy again in 2018 with the full net.

Sil-nylon Superbivy got a few micro holes after a few year, but I still have it and use it sometimes in the winter. Half moon netting is great in colder weather, but I prefer the full netting for most of my hiking so my last 2 bivies went the full netting route.

Borah Gear CF. Head area a bit roomier. In fact, I returned my bivy and had him reduce the size somewhat as it was bigger than I wanted to fit under a 8′ length tarp without extra length I didn’t need catching more rain. It was sized to store all my gear inside which I don’t do as I keep all unneeded stuff in my backpack at night. Was the lightest bivy option of the ones I considered though mine weighed more than the website showed even after he reduced the length by a few inches. Basically 2 pieces of fabric sewn together, but does the job. Good price point. If cost is a big issue then just go this route as it is a good bivy for the price. Got a few small holes in the cuben fiber flooring (but I use it all the time) and the zipper kept seperating down at the lower end as the teeth got out of alignment at the very end where it was sewn, so I was going to have to redo or replace it which is beyond my sewing skills. I have a few of photos of my Borah Gear bivy here.

MLD Superbivy CF. More craftsmenship as it just seemed made better which is why I went back to it as the extra money didn’t bother me. I’ve always been happy with MLD. Floor sewn more like a bathtub, but it isn’t really as there is no side support. Slightly heavier (except it actually weighed about the same as my overweight Borah Gear one at 4.8oz). Dual zipper vs single zipper on my Borah. No issues yet. Went with the CF floor again for the weight savings. I expect it to eventually get a few small holes like the Borah did, but I try not to camp where water pools where it might make a difference; at least it never has up til now.

With a bivy, assuming that you using a tarp/open shelter of some sort, I would require/want a solid head space with the all mesh option of the Borah.

If the full netting bothers you in wind or the cold, I normally carry a UL wind jacket (< 2oz) that I just line the head netting area, using my pillow stuff sack, head, and the pressure of the netting to hold it where I need it. This blocks much of the wind and traps more heat (pull it up more over your head the more heat you want). It essentially similar the top fabric on my bivy anyway so its an easy way to add more when needed.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I don’t think a 2-person shelter is all that much additional weight, so if that’s what you have already, enjoy the extra space. A tent is nice to get away from the mosquitoes.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

For me, some form of light solo tent that’s storm proof and has netting to keep out mosquitoes and spiders and ants (bugs are attracted to a headlamp if you read at night and swarm to the source) and mice and marmots and wind is definitely worth while. Easier to pitch and more reliable than a tarp –for me! I’m  clumsy with pitching tarps. A cuben solo tent with netting can weigh in at a pound or so. Oh and condensation issues a la bivy are greatly reduced or non existent. Too many pluses to overlook.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools