Topic

Snow Peak and Starlyte Advice?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Snow Peak and Starlyte Advice?

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    David K
    BPL Member

@back2basix

Great advice from everyone.  I switched to an open pot stand and managed to get a much faster boil (about 7.5 min) with 0.625 oz of Everclear.  I think my stand my be a bit too high so I’ll shorten it to have the pot about 1.75″ above the flame which should also help.

I’m general I just don’t like the idea of canister stoves.  With alcohol, esbit, wood, and liquid fuel stoves there’s never anything to throw away.  But it seems that once a canister is empty the only thing to do is puncture it and trash it.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

0.625 oz of Everclear.

Assuming that you are talking about ounces as volume…..

.625 oz = 18.4 ml

Assuming that you are using Everclear 190 proof the amount of ethanol is

.184*95% = 17.6 ml of ethanol

Basically, the stove is working fine.  The 10% water is probably slowing down the burn rate a little bit.  If you want to test this, try burning HEET in the yellow bottle.  That and get a good pot stand / windscreen.  My 2 cents.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools