Topic

Smartwater bottle alternative discovery

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Smartwater bottle alternative discovery

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Locale: Olympic Mts.

<p>H</p>

Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Locale: Olympic Mts.

soap
    OK I gave up on uploading an image, but these ecos soap bottles fit the sawyer squeeze and sports cap to a smart water bottle. They weigh 42gram without stickers as 1lt smarts weigh 27grams. For a little over a half ounce, the bottle retains it’s shape after squeezing, as my smart water bottle barely holds water from how crushed it has become. Plus it is a rectangle shape which might ride in a front or side bag pocket better.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Nice shape and size, but something under an ounce would be ideal. Every time I’m in a store I look for a square or rectangular cross-section plastic bottle that’s no heavier than a smartwater bottle and has the right threads, but no luck so far. It would also be nice to find a 1 ounce, 1 liter bottle with a wider cap (like the Gatorade caps) for use as a pee bottle.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Square or rectangular bottles are pretty much assured to be heavier. Simple geometry tells you that it takes more plastic to enclose 1 liter of water in a rectangular bottle than in a round one. Plus the round bottle can have thinner walls since it does not require structure to hold its shape.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Nice find, but I would be leery of lingering soap tastes – yuck.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

@paul-1, the surface area of water is the same when it is not compressed?

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Why not use an Evernew bag? 900ml weighs(29g) less than the bottle and is very easy to squeeze for Sawyer filtering.

36g for 1.5L,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools