Topic

Small (tiny) force guages for fabric testing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Small (tiny) force guages for fabric testing?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

I’ve been playing around with various silicone-coated fabrics, trying to get a sense of the differences in bias stretch (which I believe is a function of the weave density) and elasticity (which I think is a function of the quality and quantity of the silicone coating). I’ve observed a lot of variability, and would like to get some objectivity into the testing. There is no way for me to be certain I’m applying the same amount of force to each sample.

So I’d like to put a small or tiny force guage on one side of the fabric samples I’m pulling on. It has to be a small device, as I’m dealing with fabric swatches (~4×4 inches).

Anything out there so small (and preferably simple and cheap)?

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Fishing scale?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Force Gauge or are you talking about a strain gauge?

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Jon, Iā€™m not sure the difference, but really just need something to assure reasonably accurate and repeatable force applied to fabric in tension. I guess a force gauge.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Fishing scale wins. Thanks, Dave.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools