Topic

Skillet Cooking-Do I need a Heat Diffuser?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Skillet Cooking-Do I need a Heat Diffuser?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Picked up a MSR Quick Skillet for shorter trips. Plan to cook steaks, eggs, etc. using my Soto Amicus stove. Do I need a some kind of diffuser plate to prevent hot spots on the skillet?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

wouldn’t hurt.  You can use a can lid as a diffuser.  My 2 cents.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

But you should avoid using an aluminium as a diffuser. It is quite easy for a flame to melt aluminium, after which you have molten aluminium wandering around.

One of my stove customers had this problem, with molten aluminium from a heat diffuser dripping onto the hose. These was a bit of a fireball until he flicked the safety valve on the canister and cut the gas off.

Cheers

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Yeah, don’t want that for sure. @Jon, are most food cans now made of aluminum?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

nope, steel.  It will have a coatin9 on it but it will burn off.  They will also rust but they are free and easy to get.  I make SS ones, but you don’t really need that.  My 2 cents.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@Jon thank you.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Two thoughts:
    – Recycling worn-out metal items into cookware can be a fun distraction.
    – Air and motion make excellent diffusers.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

4″ dia plate I use with my white gas stoves I have use for many year and it does the job.

https://backpackinglight.com/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/3736118/c64nfhfc5pl0n9zgdwq96xdxuz26ci4m.JPG

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Curiosity compels the question: instead of using a heat diffuser, why not just turn the stove down (and save fuel)?

Cheers

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@Roger stove is down but it’s the narrow head that concentrates heat, thin skillet doesn’t help. I thought with a diffuser to spread the heat wider it may help.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

If you’re going to fry eggs you’d want to spread the flame to make the heat more uniform across the pan

“Real” skillets are thick and made out of copper or aluminum.  But they weigh too much for a sane backpacker.  The spreader sort of accomplishes the same thing.

I just boil water so this is theoretical to me

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Well, I do have some experience in this matter.  Here is an old video of frying a pancake using a thin walled MSR BlackLite frypan and a Kovea Spider: Thin pan / small burner head.  The video demonstrates the heat transfer with and without a diffuser.  My 2 cents – Jon

YouTube video

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice video.  The last pancake looks sad, but still quite tasty I’m sure : )

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

No heat diffuser needed if olive oil is used, stove on low heat and pan held in hand over flames. Small silicone spatula used in other hand to stir contents.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Jon

What you need is a spondonical!
    Otherwise known as a billy-grip.

The MSR one is the lightest commercially available one, and it works excellently. It has an insulated red handle.

Highly recommended both the pots and for pans.
    Cheers

EDIT
    To my intense annoyance, I find that MSR does not list this invaluable item on their web site any more. Which says something about the (lack of) brains behind the modern MSR. Sad.

However, the first sort is readily available on ebay.
    I never travel without mine. Sue also uses one in the kitchen with a little frying pan without a handle.
    R

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
    Ron Jameson
    BPL Member

@tigerpaws

Locale: Upstate SC

I use a small paint can lid. About 4″.

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

I just hold the pan slightly raised above the pot supports and move it back and forth a bit in a swirling motion to distribute the heat. With such a thin pan anyways and unless your stove truly simmers (most really dont) I dont trust it not to burn anyways. For less sensitive stuff you can occasionally slightly offset it at different positions from center every like 10 seconds or as needed

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’ve used local, flat rocks. Including one time I had a automotive radiator over a 150,000 BTU/hour burner (about 15x a backpacking stove) for a remote hot tub.

No added pack weight.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

So I was all set with my tuna can lid heat diffuser. Set up camp and it’s nowhere to be found.  Regardless, the MSR skillet did surprisingly well for being so thin. I wasn’t cooking anything delicate though-no burnt spots.

Skillet

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

I wasn’t cooking anything delicate though-no burnt spots.

Well, if you do want to cook some delicate things, you can always order a small piece of .125″ copper from eBay – I think there are 4″ by 4″ pieces for about $12 – and create a diffuser worthy of the best vintage French cookware.  Sure, it’ll weigh about 250g, but if you’re doing omelettes in browned butter in the backcountry, there’s nothing better. ;)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools