Topic

Simple, cheap watch/clock with alarm?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Simple, cheap watch/clock with alarm?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca 510
    BPL Member

@wanderingrebecca

Locale: East bay, SF bay area

I’d like to start carrying a small, light, simple timekeeping device with an alarm.  (No, I don’t take my phone in the backcountry, and my GPS doesn’t have sound.)  I don’t need any other features, and I don’t think I need to spend fifty bucks on this; I just want something better than the absolute cheapest piece of dollar-store junk that’s going to fail after a month.   I’d like setting the alarm to be fairly user-friendly.   I won’t be wearing it on my wrist, but can always take the straps off a wristwatch.

Anyone have a nice basic watch or travel alarm to recommend?

Thanks!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder
    Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

I am sure there are tons of these out there, but this is my go to for alarm, light, cheap, somewhat waterproof.  $14.  Casio Men’s F108WH Illuminator Collection Black Resin Strap Digital Watch.  Easily take the strap off.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B0053HBJBE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Another vote for Casio. I like the 100 M waterproof ones.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I think Arthur’s Casio ticks your boxes nicely.  If you want a step up, I would recommend this Timex:

Whether, Timex is better than Casio is probably a point of contention.  I think they are a bit higher quality and a bit easier to use.  The one really nice thing I like about that watch for backpacking is the indiglo.  It is very easy to read in the middle of the night.

Chris Hunkeler
    BPL Member

@hunkeler1961

Locale: San Diego County

I am interested in the answer as well.

Considering this is a lightweight backpacking forum, having a weight would be helpful. Timex is listed as 2.4 oz (68 g). Casio Illuminator only gives shipping weight of 3.2 oz (91 grams). I assume actual watch as worn would be lighter.

I had a little trouble with the Casio PQ10-1R mentioned in the first post but pasting the link into Microsoft Edge worked.

Comparing the three choices, the Timex gets my vote since it is weight that can be worn rather than carried, it is more stylish than the Casio and seems to weigh about the same.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

The Casio is 32 grams with the wrist band.  Educated guess is that the band is about half that.  Style is not important to me, I never look good on the trail. For that matter, I don’t look good off the trail either.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Look for women’s versions of each of those watches. Same functions in a smaller, lighter package. I wear mid-sized women’s watches because I have narrow wrists. And because of the weight.

If you use a pillow, consider glueing / taping on a small (2″ x 2″) mesh pocket to keep the watch (perhaps with band removed) near your head at night.

I keep it on my wrist during the day and use it track my progress, determine north, check my pulse rate, etc.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I also use a variant of what Arthur pointed to, for several years now, got it new for under $10. Very light, tells the time, durable, waterproof for swimming, 10-year battery and dirt cheap so if I bang it up I don’t care. The face can get scratched pretty easily while backpacking but so what. Mine also has an alarm but I don’t use it because I can’t hear high frequencies at all out of one ear and not well out of the other so it won’t wake me up, but if you can hear a high-pitched beep it will do the job.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

These are cute and requires no battery….it’s a wind up!

Timex Mini Wind Up Travel Alarm Clock

EDIT to say links to ebay are not accepted by BPL, nor can I upload a photo from my desktop.

Go to ebay and search for Timex Mini Wind Up Travel Alarm Clock

This is the message when I try to include a link to ebay

Sorry, you have been blocked
    You are unable to access backpackinglight com

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Ok, I’m back. here’s a photo of the clock on ebay:

Chris H
    BPL Member

@chrishillery

I use the classic F-91W. It’s slim and weighs only 20g, can be purchased for about $10, looks good, and it’s virtually indestructible. There’s also the W-59-1V which is very similar but rated to a higher degree of water resistance, though I’ve worn my F-91W while swimming and in the shower for years without any trouble.

Rebecca 510
    BPL Member

@wanderingrebecca

Thanks, all!  That’s a nice bunch of options.

Question about the Casio wristwatches–if I carry it in a pocket or bag instead of on my wrist (wearing stuff on by wrist has always bugged me), are the buttons protruding from the sides going to get bumped all the time and mess up my time and alarm settings?

I’m thinking the Casios win on size and weight, but the travel alarms win on simplicity of use, and possibly more alarm volume.

The wind-up one is nifty, and I like the idea of not having to worry about batteries, but if it needs to be wound daily, I just know I’d forget at the worst possible time.

David, my “pillow” is usually my down jacket, so pockets are already available–good idea to stash the alarm there.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Mine is the W-201 model, and the buttons are more recessed than in some of the photos shown/referenced above. To adjust the settings you have to first hold the “adjust” button for a couple of seconds, otherwise the settings are locked, so with buttons like this I don’t think you’ll have issues.

Rebecca 510
    BPL Member

@wanderingrebecca

Gosh, that looks perfect on all counts.  Thanks!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I sleep right through a Casio alarm. Usually drowning it out snoring I suppose. I would keep it out, near your head.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools