Topic

Sierra High Route GPX?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Scott M
    BPL Member

@bluetick-2

Hi All,

Im planning a trip that will hopefully touch on Granite Park, Humphires Basin and Evolution Valley, perhaps using parts of the Sierra High Route, sort of like a North Lake South Lake Loop Deluxe. I use Gaia for planning and backup navigation. Does anyone know of a GPX of the SHR that I could upload to Gaia? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to go around Labor day.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Scott, I am not a sage old walker of the high country but I think most people are resistant to the idea of a gpx file for the SHR. It’s a route and having everyone walk the same route will turn it into a trail would change it’s essential nature. Roper explains this in his book. You should probably buy the book and/or Skurka’s mapset. You can definitely plot a vague track for planning/mileage purposes in Gaia but you won’t really know where you are going until you are on the ground there.

High Sierra Topix is another source of information about specific off-trail passes but again, I don’t think you’ll find a .gpx there.

Scott M
    BPL Member

@bluetick-2

Totally agree.  Was just hoping to get a sense of what might be passable along the way I was thinking of going.  Ordered Ropers book tonight.

Thanks

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Much thanks to both of you for handling this the way you did.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Scott M
    BPL Member

@bluetick-2

Hey guys,

thanks for those links. I found them last week and they were super helpful. Ordered shrukas Map set and Ropers book.

The current plan is to leave the bay area after work on Thursday 8/30 and head to Mammoth in order to sleep at elevation and pick up a permit on Friday morning. On Saturday morning, hiking out to the North Lake Campground and over Piute Pass, into Humphries Basin, over Puppet Pass, north to Granite Park and Italy Pass, then hanging south through the Bear Lakes Basin and Feather Pass, hooking back up with the French Canyon trail to the JMT in Kings Canyon at Evolution Valley, then back north east to Darwin Bench and finally over Lamark col and back to North Lake. Its an area that I’ve always wanted to see, 9k and up, lakes with goldens, alpine granite wonderland!

Any suggestions?

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

You can also google sierra high route caltopo…. and then export GPX to gaia.

Or you can you use the Roper book and Caltopo and make your ‘own’ route..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools