Topic

Sierra Bighorn sheep

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

there’s a pretty good article on Sierra bighorn in today’s Chronicle. Tom Stienstra, “Sierra bighorn on ledge of breakthrough” in the sports section. Sorry, I read the paper version, so no link! I’m sure you can find it by googling Stienstra or the Chronicle.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

that’s xciting news…thanx 4 sharing.

my fishing buddy & I had a couple brief glimpes of bighorn high above us in canyons of the San Gabriel Wilderness in the early 80s. those r sweet memories…wild trout & wild bighorn, only a few miles from Los Angeles.

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

Amazing turnaround!

I lived in Bishop from 98-2001. Back then we thought surely the Sierra bighorn would go extinct.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I see Desert Bighorn sheep often here in southern Nevada. I will apply for a hunting license for them next year.

Chances are slim I’ll draw a tag.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I see transported bighorn Sheep on the Deschutes River in north central Oregon.

Once there were three groups of about 30 each on the trail ahead of me.  I was a bit concerned, but they just moved on.

Stormin
    Spectator

@stormin-stove-systems

Locale: East Anglia

Eric, why would you want to kill an endangered species?

Bighorn sheep have a right to exist just as you do.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Stormin,

Here in Nevada DESERT bighorn are far from even being listed as “endangered”. NDOW says they are huntable in selected areas and in selected numbers so why not hunt them? The meat is “marinaidable” and can be made nicely edible.

If I can’t eat it I won’t shoot it. I’m a meat eater, not a vegetarian, as you might guess.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

Nevada currently has over 10,000 bighorns (mostly desert bighorns but some Rocky Mtn. also).  That’s more than any other state, and the numbers have risen fairly dramatically in the past 30 years.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Do the desert Bighorns taste as good as the Alaskan sheep?  I am not a hunter but that was one tasty meal – especially after days of mostly candy and bars.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools