Topic

Shelter help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shelter help

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    xRangerx
    BPL Member

@xrangerx

I’ve run the full gambit of “medium weight” tents and am currently using a Golite Utopia 2, was using a seek outside cimmaron, and just a tarp before that. I’ve found that I’m tired of bugs so am wanting something with netting that is light ish. I’m looking pretty hard at the SMD lunar duo outfitter, at $190 it seems like a pretty solid buy. I’m 6’5” and live in the PNW so rain protection is important too. Any reason I shouldn’t get the lunar duo? Any others that I should consider? Price range would be $250 or so. The zpacks duplex would be perfect but out of my range

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I’ve got one of the original Lunar Duo tents and love it when there are two of us.  It looks like the “Outfitter” version in poly is about 14 ounces heavier than mine – not a bad weight penalty for the savings.  You either need to add poles or use your trekking poles.  If you’re looking at 1P tents, the Lunar Solo is a favorite as is the X-Mid 1P by Dan Durston (both of which use trekking poles for support as well).

Probably the biggest downside (other than weight) of going the 2P versus 1P is the footprint you’ll need to set it up.  If you want some extra room for one or take someone else along regularly then get the Lunar Duo.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

My wife and I have gotten a lot of use out of our Lunar Duo Outfitter.  It’s held up very well and it’s spacious for a 2P shelter.  Large footprint but my biggest complaint is having to expose the inner to insert the short curved ridge poles prior to raising it.  So far we haven’t been caught in a downpour when doing so but I’m sure the day will come.  Personally, I’m looking for something that goes up fly-first, like the x-mid 2p.  Shaves some weight over our Duo Outfitter as well.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

The TT StratoSpire II is another fly-first option…if you’re looking to go the 2p route but a bit more expensive

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

…the Lunar Solo is a favorite as is the X-Mid 1P by Dan Durston

The X-Mid 1P is too small for someone 6’5″.  The 2P will work, though.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

What about six moon design haven tarp and net tent?

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

What about six moon design haven tarp and net tent?

Looks like a roomy setup for one and can setup fly-first.  I looked past it since the inner is 10″ narrower than the Lunar Duo but may serve the OP well.

xRangerx
    BPL Member

@xrangerx

The Durston looks like a dandy, too bad they are out until the fall, but might be worth waiting!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Have not had it out yet but do plan on using it when the wife comes out with me. There is a LOT of room in here no doubt about that. If you can’t wait for the Xmid 2p.. I would suggest you go for this. You could always sell it off and pick up Xmid 2p when available.

Scott H
    BPL Member

@cbk57

We have the REI flash air 2, I really like it but it may not be long enough for you, it works for me fine, but I am 5`10”.  Really light though at 2 pounds if you bring tracking poles.  I am in Central Pennsylvania, we can get a lot of rain, always get a lot of bugs.  I have never seriously contemplated tarp only for that reason.  I actually was wondering if using a tarp is more a regional thing or more of just don:t care about bugs thing.  We also have a lot of ticks, so I try to take all the preventatives I can, sleeping without mesh is a no way for me in my area.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

That may work for you!!

xRangerx
    BPL Member

@xrangerx

I like the look of that! Considering the lightheart gear So-Long too

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

@xRengerx:  I got a look at the SoLong at Trail Days in Damascus one year and it is indeed a spacious tent for one.  Ample length for your 6’5″ frame.  Looked to be a bit finicky to pitch but I suppose no more so than most other trekking pole supported tents.  Similar concept as the SMD Skyscape.  I have a Skyscape as well and would say that, of the two, the SoLong would definitely be better choice considering your height.

@dirtbag
    :  Concerning the Haven, 44″ w seemed awfully narrow so I opted to look elsewhere.  I suppose we’ve been spoiled by the generous space in the Lunar Duo.  Even the Duplex is a bit wider than the Haven if I’m not mistaken.  But maybe it’s worth another look.  We’re using an Exped Duo pad that’s a little over 41″ at the shoulder so it would be a squeeze!  Have you had an opportunity to throw your pads and quilts/bags in yet…just to get a feel for the space?

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@Bret…so I have it set up in my yard, as seen in above photo, since Tuesday afternoon.  (Today is Thursday).. it rained very very hard yesterday evening and night,  heavy thunderstorms.. expected again all day today and tonight.. tomorrow also.. and Saturday some showers.  I am still at work as of this morning and will be home tonight.. anyway I will leave it pitched for the rest of the week as I usually do with new tents/tarps to see how they fair through a few consistent days of nasty storms. Sunday will be my next available free time and I will be home and the weather should be starting to clear up a bit, so as long as its still standing and not full of water, and I am happy with how it stood through this consistent days and nights of heavy rain, I will inflate my large/wide Xlite pad and my wifes regular Xlite pad to see how they fit. I will surely take some photos and post them here.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Mind you, I had a Duplex last year and decided I did not like it. Aside from feeling like someone mugged me (ridiculous price), I much prefer the modular option of being able to just pitch/sleep in the net tent. There is absolutely no need to be covered every night unless it is raining/snowing or a bit windy.. personal preference for me.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

@dirtbag

Awesome!  Agree that the modular aspect of the Haven and the like has some major advantages.  Though, my wife wouldn’t go for either just tarp or just inner.  She wants to be covered AND enclosed, which is a sacrifice I’ll gladly make to get her to come along.  Me, I’m happy to cowboy camp if the weather and bugs permit.

@xRangerx

Let us know which way you decide to go.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Dirtbag-that tent does look nice! Wish it had a wider floor (their web site says is 44″ wide in the bug net inner.  If it were 48″ or 49″ or wider I might try one!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

So long as 2 pads can fit in there.. be it wall to wall.. thats all we need to sleep. We dont carry much gear.. so finding room for gear is never an issue.. like i said, on Sunday it will be sunny and no more rain.. as long as it is still standing and not flooded.  I will inflate my large and regular pads and put them in there for reference pictures.

Also.. if all goes well.. she will be taken on her maiden voyage in 2 weeks when we do a little 3 day/ 2 night backpacking trip!….

Stay tuned…

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

the forcast till sunday..

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

FYI, the X-Mid 1P is getting more spacious for our next batch (in ~12 weeks). The inner is wider, taller, and longer. As it pertains to fitting at 6’5″, the current 1P is usually considered good to about 6’0″ – 6’2″, and then the new one adds a few inches to that, so you may fit in there at 6’5″ depending on how much length you want, sleeping style (e.g. side vs back), and how thick your sleeping pad is.

That makes the 1P a similar length as the 2P, but the 2P allows solo hikers to sleep on the diagonal and that diagonal is very long due to the parallelogram shape of the floor, so certainly the 2P is much longer/wider yet for solo users.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Here is my Xlite Regular/Wide and women’s Xlite pad side by side inside.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Here it is with tarp removed!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Hope that helps anyone with concerns about inside with 2 pads. 1 Regular/Wide and 1 womans pad.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools