Topic

Separate sleeping clothes in Yellowstone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Separate sleeping clothes in Yellowstone?

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Mina

The BSA high adventure base at Philmont, New Mexico has the same rule. And while I had my private doubts about its effectiveness, we as a crew followed in.  My wife did know a kid in high school who woke up while camping under the stars in Yosemite to experience a bear licking his face.

I took a 30 degree bag to Philmont and also took a down sweater in case I needed to augment the bag on cold nights.  There were a few mights when I needed to put the down sweater as soon as the sun set but mostly I waited until after dinner.  And while my normal practice is to sleep in most of my clothes on cold nights, I switched into an base layer bottoms and tops.  I also have to remind my Scouts that if they get cold in they can among other things 1) put on their rain jackets and pants and 2) get up and make a hot water bottle (operating the stove under adult supervision).

I would guess the NP policy is really to protect the bears from being habituated to associating humans with the scent of food.

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

We are definitely going to do some practice sessions before the trip, re: clothing management and food management.  Thanks to everyone for the feedback and advice!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

My wife did know a kid in high school who woke up while camping under the stars in Yosemite to experience a bear licking his face.

What a story.  I would have crapped myself right there.  Though I don’t think bears generally want to “hurt” humans, especially unprovoked, but an animal that large and powerful can hurt you without intentionally trying.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools