Topic

Seeking a combo tarp/hammock/bug net/tree straps that’s lightweight.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Seeking a combo tarp/hammock/bug net/tree straps that’s lightweight.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Joshua B
    Spectator

@bobolibas

Pretty much the topic title covered it.  Since you all are extreme lightweight packers, I’ll say I want the whole thing (straps, hammock, net, tarp) to be less than 3lb.  I don’t even know if y’all would consider that lightweight but I’m perfectly willing to go lighter. ;)  Budget is 150$. Thanks in advance!

PS: I do at least have Dyneema whoopie slings!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

The 3 pound target shouldn’t be a problem, but the $150 budget might be.

I have a Dutchware Half-Wit (half a bug net that’s permanently attached) that weighs 18 ounces with straps and the suspension.  The hammock, without a suspension, is $100.  I pair it with a custom cuben hex tarp that weighs just over 10 ounces (including stakes & guy lines), putting my “whole thing” at just 28 ounces.

Check out Dutchware Gear for some affordable options.

Good luck!

Joshua B
    Spectator

@bobolibas

Thanks Kevin,

I’ll look into that website, I already see a few good options upon a cursory look! Might have to up the budget a bit in order to make this feasible…

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Definitely Dutchware for the suspension. The Cameleon is the hammock I’ve been looking at. There are lighter options, but they will probably cost more than the half wit.  Hammock forums has a similar gear swap sub forum that might have more used postings.

also check out Warbonnet, Antigravity Gear and Arrowhead Equipment. All great cottage hammock vendors.

for me one of the lightest suspensions is muletape.  A single layer gathered end hammock and DCF diamond or hex tarp will be the lightest. The DCF tarp will cost more, but I think a Silpoly tarp from warbonnet or dutchware will save a little. Don’t forget to budget for an underquilt instead of a pad.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’ve been hanging in the yard for the last eternity (I’ve lost count of how long it’s been since I left the house/yard) and it’s reminded me how comfortable a hammock is. I’ve had my eye on a halfwit as a future backpacking option. It seems like the lightest option for avoiding the skeeters.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Also I’m pleasantly surprised how well the hammock works with the dog. We haven’t spent the night out here but we get along well for extended naps in the hammock.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

I’ve found the HalfWit to be a perfect combination of weight savings (versus a full net) and hassle factor – It’s really easy to get into and out of the HalfWit.  I don’t know if it would be my net of choice if I were going someplace where the bugs were expected to be horrendous, but in the hills of Pennsylvania it’s worked really well to keep the skeeters at bay.

Joshua B
    Spectator

@bobolibas

Thanks for the tips, everybody.  I’m going to go with a Chameleon, no frills- and I’ll replace my stakes and suspension…should actually get me below 3 lbs on hammockstuff.  And those Dyneema tarps are $$ !

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

I think the Chameleon will be a great choice and you’ll have the bug/winter flexibility if you need it.  Dutch has some reasonably priced Xenon hex tarps that come in at around 12 ounces as well.

I’m not affiliated in any way with Dutchware Gear, but I am lucky enough to live about 6 miles from his factory.  He’s a great guy and if you’re ever in Lancaster, PA I suggest you stop and say “Hi” and get the tour.

Amber
    BPL Member

@amberg

I recently made a hammock with the 1.6 HyperD (planning to make a 2nd one with the 1.0). It comes in at around 7oz and was easy enough- even for someone who had to read the instructions to thread the sewing machine. I spent around $20-$30 for the material and 2 continuous Amsteel loops to use as end loops.

Currently using the tree straps from Hummingbird Hammocks. They weigh 1.5oz for the pair and cost $30. I also just bought their bugnet for $40. It’s supposed to be 8oz. I also ordered the button attachment from them for $12. They’ll replace the continuous loops AND the heavy metal carabiners. I’ll put them on my scale when I get them.

After the ease of hammock-making, I ordered a Silpoly tarp kit for $55 a couple of days ago from RBTR. It should come out to 12oz, maybe a couple more. I’m hoping that this will get me under 30oz for right around your budget.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

<p style=”text-align: center;”>there is my Dutch Chameleon, with bugnet, packed with straps and all, in a dcf double ended stuff sack. I use beetle buckle suspension,  8 foot spider poly tree straps with sewn on Dutch clips. The bottom picture is the hammock with Hammock Gear standard DCF tarp (no doors). I use an all mesh snake skin for the tarp. I use Dutch stingerz on the ridgeline with black or brown reflect it line, same for the guy lines. I also use a combination of stakes, depending on the time of year, but mostly MSR groundhogs, mini groundhogs, V-Best DAC small and medium stakes.</p>
    Its pretty lightweight and packs down small. It is very fast to set up and even quicker and easier to take down and pack up.  Keeps me bone dry and and most importantly.. COMFORTABLE!! Living and hiking in Northeast.. NY, NJ and PA.. it works!! Never have any problems finding a great place to hang and get a good nights sleep.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools