Topic

Seek Outside Redcliff Shelter Review (With Titanium Wood Stove)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Seek Outside Redcliff Shelter Review (With Titanium Wood Stove)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Companion forum thread to: Seek Outside Redcliff Shelter Review (With Titanium Wood Stove)

Reviewed in this article is the Seek Outside Redcliff Shelter, a large pyramid tent that also includes a titanium wood stove.

Bruce Cooper
    BPL Member

@patch

Thank you for the great review. I use the Seek outside medium Ti stove inside a My Trail Co Pyramid 4 essentially the Shangri La. I had Jimmy from Jimmy Tarps add a stove pipe jack for me. My son and I used this last year November for deer hunting and for the 2 of us it was perfect. any more and it would be tight. 38 ounces for the stove with pipe and 54 ounces for the Pyramid with the tent pole and stakes made it a nice light weight hot tent at considerable savings. It also saves us weight on stove fuel since I bring a Ti teapot to cook water on for dried meals and don’t have to use the gas stove as much.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Hot tents aren’t (on the surface) compatible with UL philosophy.

I say on the surface because you have to experience a titanium stove in a sil tent and then consider the context.

To be THIS comfortable for THAT much weight is almost unreal.

I spend most of my backpacking w/hot tents on ski trips in the northern Rockies. It gets cold up here in the winter!

So to sit around playing cards and drinking ti-stove-brewed coffee in a sil tent when it’s snowing, blowing, and subzero…I mean, c’mon!

I own and use one big group (8 man) sil-mid hitched to a ti stove and it’s one of my favorite gear rigs.

Richard Mock
    BPL Member

@moxtr

Locale: The piney woods

Terrific review! Thank you.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

I totally agree, Ryan. Likewise, the Washington coast is extremely wet all winter and the wind-blown rain can overcome the best rain gear. To have a warm cabin to dry out and relax is amazing and extends the season for our family, allowing us to ignore the forecast and enjoy portions of wilderness that are totally empty in the winter.  I love the hot tent!

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Thanks Bruce!  That’s exactly our family’s first hot tent. I totally agree that the MyTrail 4 is perfect for two. I set up mine with a LiteOutdoors stove and the stove jack was done by Bearpaw Wilderness Designs.  It worked out really well also.

Best, Doug

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

Here is my 8 man last winter.  Got around 10″.

All set up

Snow begins

Early Morning. Should of had the guy lines out.  

Held up fine though.  Always great to enjoy a warm meal for breakfast…

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Great pictures, Andy.  Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools