Topic

Scope Creep

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Scope Creep

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I work with a bunch of engineers, and we are all familiar with “scope creep” – which is a term describing how a project’s specifications can subtly shift from simple to complex through the addition of features the customer might not have asked for, but seemed cool or necessary to get the job done.

Last week I realized that scope creep has affected my backpacking life too. I headed out for a week in the Pasayten wilderness (a loop that started on the Boundary trail from Horseshoe Meadows to Cathedral Lake) and my starting pack weight was 35 pounds!  I’ve done week-long trips before and never cracked 30 pounds. What the heck?!

I decided that when I got back home I needed to lay out everything I brought and figure out what changed. It turned out to be… scope creep.

Examples: I use an Ursack with the odor barrier liner, and I took the aluminum liner too. Why? Well, because I have it, and what if? I brought my Montbell puffy pants because it might be chilly. In August. During a heat wave. I brought an extra drink bottle to shake/mix up a protein drink, but didn’t bring the protein drink. I added a 12oz beef sausage to the food bag because I thought that would be a tasty addition for lunch or with one of my pasta dinners, and it was still there when I got back. The list goes on. Turns out I carried almost 5 pounds of extra “what if?” stuff on this trip. I had forgotten the need for discipline when packing, and it showed up on my back.

It was an eye-opening exercise and I need to get back to doing it BEFORE a trip, not afterwards.

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

“What ifs” are the doom of ultralite backpacks.

The boy scouts really screwed us up.  “Be Prepared …” yeah, for a hernia!

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

Dave, I think your observation brings up a really good point, and it ties into another ongoing discussion about hiking in helmets.

So much of our gear is dictated by the “What ifs” and fear.  We imagine the problem in our head and then carry a solution, just in case.  We do a lot of the same thing in “the real world”, as well.  The profound lesson I keep learning from UL backpacking is to be prudent and reasonably prepared, but don’t catastrophize and addictively wonder and guess about what could happen.  There is no end to that rabbit hole.  To a great extent, except where you are and deal with whatever occurs as best you can with what’s already at hand.  Typically, that is more than enough.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Do you use a gear list such as Lighterpack.com to pack your gear beforehand? Before each trip, every single item of gear gets considered to determine if it’s: a) needed or not and b) is there a lighter alternative at hand that will perform the same function safety, effectively and/or comfortably under anticipated conditions.

The above will prevent you from taking unneeded stuff and ensure that you take the lightest gear you own. If you want to get that 30lb pack down to 20lbs or less, then the next step is to replace your existing gear with new (or used) lighter options and gain the skills to use that lighter gear confidently.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

To Matt’s and Lester’s points, the curse of non-BPL is the tendecy to pack to our fears, and the best solution is the weighed checklist.

Even so, my fear is going hungry, and for a 10-day, no resupply, past history has says I’ll have at least 3 lbs. of food leftover. My last trip was an aberration with about a pound remaining. I went in with the attitude that the worst thing that could happen is that I might just possibly lose some weight,  a positive outcome. I could probably set up beside a stream like a warthog for a week with no food and be healthier for it.

Another obstacle is having everything measured and weighed…and then comparing notes with a less frugal partner and feeling like you’re leaving something important out…and adding last minute additions. Be strong Light People!

Russ

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

For experienced backpackers, could it be less about packing fears and being overly optimistic? I find, too often, that I’ll bring extra things because I think I might have more time to read a book, play with a new camera, experiment with different gear so I can compare it to something else. What I can’t pack is extra time to do all that stuff I would like so the extra gear essentially gets a free vacation on my back. Taking less stuff not only lessens the load but it frees my mind as well. Now, if I can only take my own advice more often…

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

I began the “If I didn’t use it last trip I don’t bring it next trip” routine. That involves all aspects, clothing, gear and food. Think I came across that mantra somewhere in here at some point. Works pretty well.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

I’ll take this moment to reiterate that no matter how careful you are when hiking alone, shit still happens. Safety gear shouldn’t be cut for the sake of a few grams. A shelter (polycryo), emergency blanket, basic First Aid kit, water and a nibble, maybe even a fire, could keep you going through a cold night, alone with a broken hip/leg/collarbone/et al until rescue can be carried out in daylight. Oh yes, don’t forget the aircraft visible tarp or mirrored reflector.

Sean P
    BPL Member

@wily_quixote

Locale: S.E. Australia

“I began the “If I didn’t use it last trip I don’t bring it next trip” routine.”

I didn’t use my first aid kit or my PLB in my last trip…

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Safety gear shouldn’t be cut for the sake of a few grams.

Yes, an important point. And, you can go UL or even SUL and still carry all the gear you would likely ever need for a safe trip. Using the “10 essential systems” below is a time-tested way to check your gear list to ensure that you cover all the bases:

https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/images/the-ten-essentials/view

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

My scope creep is 90% food, 10% extra insulation.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools