Topic

Running vest vs frameless pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Running vest vs frameless pack?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Which carries best without a hipbelt, a running vest like the Ultimate Direction packs or a typical rucksack like the Burn?

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Will you be actually running, especially downhill? Are you doing overnighters or just day trips? If running, especially for one-day outings, then the Vest is the way to go. If hiking (not running), the vest has some advantages for day trips, but for overnight trips, a Fast Pack or a traditional pack like the Burn would probably meet your needs best.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Typically not running, used for 1-2 nights. I’m looking at the UD Fastpack 25-35 models.  I enjoy the freedom from hip belts but find the shoulder straps on traditional rucksacks apply too much pressure around the pectoral area when not using a hip belt.

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

It is a weight issue.
    I really think that carrying my race gear in a GG Burn like backpack would be just as comfortable as having it stuffed in my running packs. Yet, with that gear I do prefer the running packs, but that is because a Burn would simply have way too much volume, making a regular backpack style bag annoying because such a backpack cannot be compressed enough to efficiently store the gear. Plus the running packs don’t bounce when running, which is a must.
    When it comes to packing gear for a hiking trip then I’d definitely wouldn’t want to go without hip belts. In my experience bellow 5kg I don’t need hip belts.

Eins

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools