Topic

Rub your eyes and look again

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Rub your eyes and look again

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

sacrificial lamb to the slaughter

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

We were stunned to see this particular RV in a Page, Arizona Campground, overlooking the red sandstone and sky blue waters of Lake Powell.  Yes, this is a camper who has rigged a video projector to his RV so that he and his kids can watch movies instead of look at the stars.  Which makes you wonder why they don’t just stay home and do the same thing.

Amazing.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

As long as they are enjoying themselves.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have to admit to doing this with a pico projector and phone on short overnight backpacking trips when my kids were very young.   Even did jiffy pop over the stove burner.    We projected on the tent ceiling and while the picture was very distorted, I don’t think they minded at all.  Great memories.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

While RV’s in general are not my cup of tea, this is actually kind of clever.  As long as it wasn’t bothering anyone else, it seems like a fun way to spend a warm evening outside.  Those kids will have some great memories!

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Fair enough.  I’ve been camping for more than sixty years and never seen anything like it, but I am also first to admit that I’m about that many years behind the latest technology…

It does remind me of a bus trip I took forty-five years ago across the north end of Scotland.  As we drove through a rainstorm we passed a guy riding a bicycle in full kilt and regalia with a banjo strapped to his back.  The bus driver and I took this in, and then the driver turned to me and said with a wink:  “Ach, it’s amazin’ what you’ll see when you haven’t got yer gun…”

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

They did the star watch while having their small contained campfire. Now to settle the kids down with a short movie to get them ready for bed. I like it! :-)

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Unfortunately my kids don’t share the love of the outdoors that I have but they are game for an overnighter now and again.   However, we still enjoy movies together.  In fact, we just got back this evening from a special premier of the new Spider-Man movie that gets released next week and my two teenage daughters are big fans.   I have learned it’s better to spend time with your kids doing things they like than not doing anything with them.   I have always loved wild places, I am hopeful that they are just late bloomers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools