Topic

Roll stiffener material suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Roll stiffener material suggestions

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

What is a good material to stiffen the top seam of a roll top backpack and where can I get it?  I need pieces about 1″ x 20″ .

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I used McNett Seam Grip.  Not normally what I would use it for, but I had extra after I used it to seal seams.

Stormin
    Spectator

@stormin-stove-systems

Locale: East Anglia

Use plastic strapping, the stuff thats used to band boxes and crates.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Instead sewing a rolled hem on the top edge of the roll top, you could attach a separate collar around the top edge using stiff 500d fabric – just like you would attach the waistband of a pair of pants. But Stormin’s idea of plastic strapping inside the rolled hem would be easier and quicker. Just make sure you attach any snaps to the hem before you insert the plastic and finish stitching – Kam snaps would be difficult to punch through the plastic afterward.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

When I’ve needed thin, durable plastic stiffeners, I have cut up those thin/flexible cutting boards. You can sew right through them.

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

That stuff is perfect but I havent seen it in atlanta for several years.  Walmart used to carry it.  Also, most cutting boards are smaller than the 20 inches I need.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

When I needed longer strips, I just overlapped 2 pieces about and inch and stitched them together. I think I saw them in Walmart recently, but I’m not positive.

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

That would work well if I could find some.  I have no idea where to look for it. I used to work in a factory and everything came wrapped in that or steel strapping. I haven’ worked in place that got boxes wrapped with that delivered for a long time.  I’ll watch for it in the mail room.

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

True, you can always splice it but I’m spending a lot on materials for the pack and I would rather not have to splice that for lack of a better option.

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

That would work.  Not what I was planning to do though.  I suppose I could consider it but i like the stiffened opening on another one of my packs. That one has a thin plastic strip sewed into the seam and it closes with velcro strips.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

I have no idea where to look for it

Amazon has them:

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

Thanks.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’ve seen something similar to those thin cutting boards used as a bottom insert in some mid-range reusable shopping bags (insulated, with reflective lining, printed with a logo for distribution at a trade show).  Seems to be HDPE (one of my favorite polymers), suggesting an even better, cheaper, more readily available option:

Take a gallon plastic milk jug, or if you want thicker material, a gallon jug of automotive window-washer fluid, and cut a strip from it. It could be as long as you want, by spiraling down the bottle. I’d suggesting using 1/2, 3/4, or 1” masking tape to create straighter more consistent cut lines and then any decent pair of scissors (which offer better control and are vastly safer than a razor knife).

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

I hadnt thought of that shopping bag idea.  I mag have a couple of them – I’ll look around the house .  I make a lot of stuff from window washer fluid bottles.  My favorite is a little.wash basin made by cutting about 4 inches off the bottom.  They nest with other gear, weigh nearly nothing And make a nice way to wash up at the end of the day.  Used as a source for strip material they might require a bit of effort to get rid of the spiral and curve. Possibly too much trouble.  Doesn’t HDPE have a memory?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

The HDPE cut from a bottle would stay a little curved but in a fabric sleeve, it would mostly straighten out.  Or you could utilize the curve so the collar of the bag stays open a little more for easier access.

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

This project has nothing but the best in it so i dont want to risk a problem to save 5 bucks.  I believe i could cut the material I need from a cheap storage container lid and it will be flat and long and wide enough.  Your comments are.what got my creativity going.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools