Topic

Rocky Mountain National Park Campsites

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Rocky Mountain National Park Campsites

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Josiah Grothe
    BPL Member

@sportsguy16171

In late June I am planning on going to RMNP with my father and 6 year old son for a 3 day hike. This will be sons first hiking trip outside of the midwest and I am hoping to make it an exceptional experience that continues to instill the same love of hiking that I have into him.

With that being said, I have never been to RMNP and am wondering if anyone could give me recommendations on what they consider to be the best camping sites. My current goal is Andrews Creek as it give me a short hike in (under 4 miles) which will allow me an easy bailout if things aren’t going well for my son. After setting up base camp there it appears that there are multiple destinations nearby with fantastic views we can day hike too.

Are there any other sites that would make a great base camp or perhaps a suggest route that would be doable for a child of his age? For reference, last summer he was capable of doing 4-6 miles day without a pack in midwestern terrain. My goal for this trip would be to hike somewhere between 15-25 miles over the 3 days.

Thanks for your feedback.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

This isn’t a direct answer but as you are probably already aware, RMNP has significant terrain above treeline and even the low areas are high elevation.  For your 6 year old I would strongly encourage something in the 15 mile range TOTAL.  4-6 miles in midwestern terrain would equate to no more than about 2 miles in RMNP.  If the objective is maximum enjoyment for him I would plan a low mileage with an emphasis on camp time and less on hike time.  Also I would add that late June you will be encountering significant areas of snow depending on your route which would further complicate mileage goals.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

If you only have 3 days total for your trip, then plan to spend much of that time acclimatizing to the altitude. If you have not done trips at elevation before, then don’t underestimate the time required to acclimatize, even to the 8000 feet “lower” elevations around Estes Park. If you begin your first day backpacking to 10,000+ feet, you’ll likely experience altitude sickness, which is very unpleasant and draining of energy. If you only have 3 days, you might consider car camping at lower elevations at a place like Moraine Park and just doing day hikes for 3 days. Also, in June you will find significant snowpack remaining over most of the higher elevations in the Park.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I agree with all that has been said about the altitude issues. It generally takes about 2 weeks for someone from the Midwest to increase his/her red blood cell count to compensate for our altitude. Don’t be fooled about the hike up to Andrews Creek, as it’s a bit more arduous than you might think. Another thing to be aware of – 5-7 years ago the Park ‘de-commissioned’ the pit toilets at both Andrews Cr. and the nearby Glacier Gorge campsites, due to e-coli getting into the creeks. So they require that you carry out your human waste, and also keep your food in a bear canister. If you could spend 3-4 days at a place like Estes Park first (~ 7200′), that would go a long way toward acclimatizing to the altitude here. And, yeah, there will likely be some snow on the ground in June. The suggestion of staying at Moraine Park and doing day hikes is a pretty good idea.

Josiah Grothe
    BPL Member

@sportsguy16171

While I appreciate the feedback I am already aware of all of the potential complications you have laid out (including the no pit toilet at Andrews Creek). This is nowhere even close to my first hike in high elevation and I already understand and know how to prepare and deal with that issue.

All I am really looking for is suggestions on what are some of the premier/best camp sites in the park as I have never visited that particular location in the past (primarly due to the shortage of long distance trails that acutally get you back away from people/day hikers). A simple ranked tier list of a top 3 – 5 favorite camp site would be more than adequte.

Thanks again for the intention behind your responses.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

You might also look at camping in Timber Creek on the west side of the park. A little higher in elevation, but a number of trails make for great day hikes, including the Colorado River Trail. Our grown sons hiked those trails with us when they were little so I know they are doable for young kids. Throwing stones in the Colorado was a fun pastime.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

So look at campsites that would take you into Big Meadows and beyond.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Odessa Lake is another very scenic camp site that’s short and easy to get to, but may have snow in June – good hiking from there up to Lake Helene and up the gorge beyond.

If you want to skip the snow and see less people, the 10 – 12 mile loop hike around Lumpy Ridge has very pleasant montain forest, two camps (Peregrine and Robit Ears), and you’ll see rock climbers all over Lumpy Ridge.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

Check out the East Inlet on the west side. Driving from the midwest you’ll be able to spend high time on trail ridge road (12K+) to promote acclimation prior to setting off. Besides, it’s a visual snap shot for your son into the high country that perhaps he’s never seen. Could serve as a carrot on trail. There are several lower elevation campsites for backcountry night #1 but nights 2 and 3 (if available) can be up higher if desired. A downhill exit is always nice. Lots of campsite options near streams (which 6 year olds love). Easy/frequent access to water (which avoids needing to carry a bunch of water weight. I like the out and back routes for younger hikers, which requires less of a commitment than a loop route and in RMNP typically puts the harder uphill hike on the first half to the trip. It’s a beautiful and less traveled area with lots of wildlife sightings and opportunities to fly fish for trout. Sagebrush BBQ has good post trip burgers and food. If you want to stay on the busier east side, I agree with the Odessa loop. Glacier gorge is beautiful but so crowded.

Upper East Inlet (looking west from Boulder Grand Pass)

Lake Verna campsite (October)

Approach route to Ptarmigan Glacier (via the Odessa Loop)

Topping out on Ptarmigan Glacier

Josiah Grothe
    BPL Member

@sportsguy16171

Thanks guys, really appreciate the input. Brian, the pictures you posted are a great visual aid as well. The East Inlet option may become my number one option. I’m assuming there would be fewer people there on average as well which would be a big plus.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools