Topic

Roadtrip August: New Mexico?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Roadtrip August: New Mexico?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Im looking to do a road trip in August, 10-15 days, mix of urban touristing (examples Taos, Santa Fe) and camping/trails/hike at some of the top trails/parks (whatever those may be, haven’t done any research yet.

Will NM just be insanely too hot in August?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

You have to book early but some of the cave crawls through Carlsbad are pretty cool (in more that one sense).  The book quickly and are limited to ~10-20 people.  Also the bats should be around and that is a pretty cool sight.

Chris T
    BPL Member

@chrisinnyc

Wheeler Wilderness area outside of Taos is BEAUTIFUL! You can park at Taos Ski Valley. Take Bull of the Woods trail to Twining Blue Lake Trail and cross the ridge to Wheeler Peak, top of the Sangre de Cristos. Eventually you have to out-n-back to Wheeler but you can take a very primitive trail with lots of loose talus down to Williams Lake. Its just…beyond beautiful.

I’m not from the west and this was literally my FIRST trip ever in the west maybe 15 years ago and I still think about.

Also I did this trip in late July and it wasn’t too hot at all. Its 7 – 13k feet (which was a rude awakening to a Mainer) but worth every gasping step.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

We went to Pecos Wilderness in 2015 (in June) and it snowed on us the first night.  Pecos is almost all above 10k feet so it should stay pretty cool. I highly recommend it.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

As you can tell from my trip report, New Mexico has plenty of high elevation areas.

All my NM posts:

https://pmags.com/tag/new-mexico

As past partner and I had two memorable cultural trips to Taos:

https://pmags.com/wild-rivers-recreation-area-rio-grande-del-norte-nm

https://pmags.com/two-years-celebrated-in-taos

Taos is more laid back and less crowded than Santa Fe imo.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Santa Fe is at 7,200 feet making it considerably cooler than other spots in the desert southwest (Phoenix is 1,000 feet in elevation.  Every thousand feet, the temps drop 3.5 degrees F.  If you hike up from those elevations, early in the morning, you beat the heat until you’re on your way back down.  But watch out for sun exposure – light colored long pants and shirts are safer than shorts with the intense UV at elevation.

I had a fabulous tip to Carlsbad Caverns by being first in line one morning for a ticket, hurrying on over to the natural entrance (versus the elevator), thereby being near the front of the line (of 20 or so) as they ranger gave a safety talk and then let opened the gate.  While others oooh’ed and aaah’ed around the large natural entrance, I took long strides down the path and had the cave seemingly all to myself for almost an hour before I saw any other visitors coming the other way.  Similar to leaving for Half Dome at 3 am and being on top before dawn, all by yourself.

Rachel P
    BPL Member

@ponyespresso

It won’t be too hot in August in northern New Mexico. That’s because it’s during our monsoon season and there are usually thunderstorms (often in the afternoon) to cool things down. The temp can go from 85 or 90 before a t-storm down to 50 degrees in a short period of time. If you hike, try to head out early in the day to avoid the storms.

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

great valuable comments, thank you :)

Chris T
    BPL Member

@chrisinnyc

Link – amazing Pecos trip report! I would LOVE to get back out there next year.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools