Topic

Review: Simms Bugstopper Hoody

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Review: Simms Bugstopper Hoody

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nathan R
    BPL Member

@nathanr

Locale: TX

Simms Bugstopper Hoody
    $65
    7oz (spec), 9oz size L on my scale.

This review of the Simms Bugstopper Hoody is after one continuous week of summer hiking in the Sierra Nevada. Most of the trip was off trail but only rarely in underbrush. The temperature was hot for the elevation, was in full sun for much of the time, and after a heavy snow year the mosquitoes were the worst I’ve experienced outside of Alaska.

Overall I found this shirt very comfortable, it breaths well, protects against bugs and sun, and dries quickly. Would recommend for summer mountains, or other places with extended sun/ bugs.

The shirt runs a little large. I usually wear a size L with Patagonia shirts, and since I bought it online I used their size chart for comparison. The Simms large was significantly bigger than I’m used to and the shirt wore baggy, which wasn’t always bad. Consider sizing down.

The material is 100% polyester, a feature I was looking for. unfortunately most other outdoor hooded shirts have a mix of elastene or spandex. It has a hexagon-type shape in its weave which you only notice up close but looks kind of gimmicky. The material has some stretch which might be a result of this weave. It never felt uncomfortable under a backpack. Overall it was a comfortable fit that felt more like a cotton tshirt than a hiking shirt.

The shirt only got wet from sweat so I can’t speak to how it handles getting soaked by rain or stream. But it dried quickly and seemed to dry as quickly as any other polyester shirt.

The hood has a comfortable fit, and was easy to put on and off over a cap. I thought it was ideal for sun and bug protection in that it covered my face and neck but wasn’t snug like most raincoat or windshirt hoods. That is, it still had good airflow around the face and into the neck. I only used sun screen on my face and hands, and almost never used deet.

The permethrin treatment was effective. Less than 1% of the mosquitos that tried to attack could bite through the shirt. It performed on par with my hiking partner’s ex officio permethrin treated (and tight weave) shirt. My other hiking partner had a knit polyester shirt without permethrin and he was pretty well eaten by mosquitoes. I wore a different polyester knit hooded shirt (without permethrin) in the Rockies earlier this summer and the mosquitoes ate right through it.

The benefit of running large was the Bugstopper shirt layered nicely over a Patagonia capilene 4 fleece shirt. This layering was warm in the evenings without needing a puffy and still kept bugs off. It probably would have been a good layering option under a shell if i had hiked in snow or cold rain.

The light grey ‘mineral’ color seemed to stay cool in the sun. But it showed dirt after a few days, FWIW.

I’ll update this review in the coming months to speak to: durability of the permethrin treatment, ability to dry when fully wet, and performance in thick, snagging underbrush.

I paid full price for this product, was not compensated for the review, all opinions are my own.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Never heard of it. Here’s a link

https://www.simmsfishing.com/bugstopper-hoody-s17.html

Nathan R
    BPL Member

@nathanr

Locale: TX

Long term follow up on this review. It’s on the fifth season and I’m on my second shirt. The original shirt is used basically every weekend during the non-bug months and in the desert. (I’m in the southwest and spend a lot of time in gumo and big bend). This is hands down thr best hiking shirt for desert for long days off trail bushwhacking through desert scrub. The hood gives great protection from sun, blocks cold winter wind when paired with a buff and wind shirt. Wicks sweat and dries quickly. Is tough and doesn’t snag on branches, granite, limestone etc. the permethrin is probably gone, but mechanically it’s going strong and doesn’t show any holes or abrasion or loose threads. Extremely well built.

I’ve since bought a second shirt I save for bug season, and sized down to a medium. It still fits a light fleece under it. Wore it across the brooks range this summer and had no issues with mosquitos. Had a fall into a creek and completely soaked the shirt. It dried quick.

this is a solid shirt, excellent permethrin treatment, incredibly comfortable, and the most functional backpacking shirt I’ve ever owned. Strong recommendation.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

You could always send the original shirt to InsectShield for a new permethrin treatment. https://www.insectshield.com/pages/insect-shield-your-clothes

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Thanks for the review.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools