Topic

Resupply bucket best practices

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Resupply bucket best practices

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Just curious about tips and best practices for resupply buckets.

I assume these are ok with postal regulations?

• What tape do you use to seal your bucket?   Plain old duct tape?  A postal worker once told me you aren’t allowed to seal boxes with duct tape…does that apply to buckets?
    • Theres already a thread on fuel, but is there any real issue with items like lithium batteries or whiskey in your buckets?
    • How do items like Snickers bars do at Reds/VVR/MTR in Aug?  Are they melted and weird by the time you pick them up?

Many other tips are welcome.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I use clear strapping tape with the fibers in it.

i shipped lithium batteries in mine. I didn’t realize you were not supposed to, panicked when the postal worker asked about it and lied. Next time I’ll just carry them because A) they are light and B) I don’t really go through many batteries.

I did not ship chocolate other than M&M’s because I assumed it would melt. M&M’s did fine, none burst or broke.

I have not shipped alcohol.

I used the sealing lids. You really have to seat them properly with a wood block and a hammer or a dead-blow hammer.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You can ship lithium batteries by ground. Fuel canisters too. Think about Amazon…   The parcel just needs to be properly labeled.

Know the facts.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/welcome.htm

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Everyone was very jealous when I pulled out two liters of box wine at MTR. Try finding THAT in the hiker’s boxes.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Even alcohol-based hand gel must ship ground labeled ORM-D, just like fuel canisters and other flammables.

Can’t mail knives, except back to the mfr.

Strange rules sometimes.

— Rex

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

“Can’t mail knives, except back to the mfr.”     Not correct.   USPS is concerned that they are packaged properly to avoid being a risk to package handlers.  Read publication 52 linked above. There are State laws to consider as well.

441 Definitions

441.1 General

Sharp instruments include all sharp–pointed or sharp–edged implements such as knives, tools, ice picks, razor blades, stilettos, or similar devices. When uncertain about the mailability of a sharp instrument or a switchblade knife, a ruling may be requested from the local postmaster (see 215.3).
    441.2 Switchblade Knife

A switchblade knife has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle, or by operation of inertia, gravity, or both.

Less restrictions with UPS, and FedEx

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

If I were Christopher I would pack a box and ship to VVR. Have a cold beer there and not stress. Since he’s only shipping it for a short distance, by ground, in one state. UPS won’t ask you what is in it. So you don’t need to feel like you are hiding something. MTR and the bucket system makes them a ton of money every year only for you to be treated with disinterest when you get it. Going to be cheaper to ship UPS too most likely.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Here’s a tip:  Avoid MTR altogether!  For the JMT, we resupplied in Mammoth (the town, but you could do Red’s Meadow), then we resupplied in Independence.  If you don’t mind the extra 7.5 miles to hike to Onion Valley (then same mileage back), it’s a wonderful option.  Yes, you leave Mammoth with a load, but Silver Pass is relatively easy, and you’ve lightened up considerably by the time the big passes crop up (unlike MTR resupply, where you’ve got your major load just in time for all the steepest passes).

Alcohol is never legal to ship via USPS.

Snickers, etc. DO arrive all melty and weird.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

“Alcohol is never legal to ship via USPS.”

Have a link to that regulation?

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

K T wrote:

“Can’t mail knives, except back to the mfr.”     Not correct.

When I went to the post office to discuss what I could and couldn’t mail, that’s what the Postmaster told me.

When uncertain about the mailability of a sharp instrument or a switchblade knife, a ruling may be requested from the local postmaster (see 215.3).

Luckily, I didn’t need to mail any knives.

Alcohol prohibition: http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_006.htm :

Intoxicating liquors having 0.5 percent or more alcoholic content are nonmailable. Taxable liquors (as defined by Chapter 51, Internal Revenue Service Code) with 3.2 percent or less alcohol, including those obtained under a prescription or as a collector’s item, also are nonmailable. The prohibition of the mailing of intoxicating liquors is contained in federal law (18 U.S.C. 1716).

— Rex

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

If you’re mailing yourself wine from California, you say it’s “olive oil.”  Some guy said.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

BTW, relying on Amazon to know and follow the rules is not a good idea. They’ve repeatedly shipped USPS prohibited items to my PO Box!

UPS and FedEx have fewer restrictions, but even they have limits.

As K T said: know the rules.

— Rex

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

FedEx allows alcohol as long as someone 21 or over can sign for it. There are options other than the USPS.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

If you accidentally break a rule, I’m guessing they don’t check every package.  Do they scan or anything like at the airport?  Spot check?  How does one get caught?

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

For the record I’m not endorsing the breaking of any rules.  Just curious how the postal service works.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I shipped Snickers to MTR no issues. Packed them near the center of the bucket though. Regular packing tape to seal the bucket; though I think it’s pretty redundant since the lids go on pretty tight in my experience – had to pound them on.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Sealing bucket lids: the same Postmaster advised me to use packing tape (not duct tape); sometimes bucket lids pop off, and sometimes USPS wants to inspect inside.

In my experience, buckets and contents arrived in much better shape than any box. And buckets are more varmint proof.

Buckets are a small investment in making sure all your stuff is there and usable when you pick it up.

— Rex

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

one other thing – pack it tight. if you have any empty space in the bucket your food will slosh around more in there and end up more cruched – though depending on your food that might not matter. But along those lines the other thing is to second the thought of goodies in there, whatever treats you wouldn’t carry on the trail but will survive shipping and storage..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools