Topic

Resources, Tools, and Processes for Planning Nontechnical, Off-Trail Backpacking Routes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Resources, Tools, and Processes for Planning Nontechnical, Off-Trail Backpacking Routes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Companion forum thread to: Resources, Tools, and Processes for Planning Nontechnical, Off-Trail Backpacking Routes

The purpose of this article is to document the process I often use to plan and execute off-trail trips in the mountains using digital mapping and navigation tools.

JOSEPH S
    BPL Member

@shofn006

Locale: Los Angeles

This was a fantastic read, one I wish I had consumed before my own trip into the Absaroka-Beartooth this autumn ;) Much appreciated, Ryan! It is difficult to find detailed, intricate and helpful guidelines for such matters.

Ryan G
    Spectator

@rgreenhalgh

Thanks for the article. This is literally exactly what I was looking for.

I was just on google earth planning a route through the Gore Range in Colorado and I was wondering what the best way to plot a course through some pretty rough high altitude terrain would be. Your slope angle analysis tool as well as energy mile and difficulty multiplier are two fantastic concepts.

Question: Do you have any type of multiplier that you add in for hiking at altitude? I’ll be going over some 13,000ft passes and obviously this is way more taxing than lower elevations but I’m wondering if there is some kind of standard multiplier or rule of thumb.

Great stuff!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools