Topic

Removable tarp vestibule ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Removable tarp vestibule ideas

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Binder clips also work well to attach noseeum to an opening, like when you have a Solomid or Deschutes with perimeter netting and you have to have the door closed for insect protection. Well that can be a bummer in good weather. Perhaps you’d like to look outside or you might want more airflow. Same with flat tarp pitches that are pegged directly to the ground. Just clip the netting onto the opening.

The clips certainly aren’t as solid as a zip on vestibule or velcro with clips, but it’s good up to about 15 mph. Questoutfitters offers the best selection of one way # 3 YKK separating zippers I know of. If you have a zipper foot for your machine, you can do it.

Oh yea, I’m in Floyds Knobs….at least for this month.

Here’s with some noseeum attached to a silnylon hem.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Kyle, What you are talking about reminds me of the HMG Echo shelters, as seen in this video

HMG Echo 1 Shelter System .

is this what you are wanting?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

There are a number of tents that have vestibules that open on both sides.  You can roll up and secure the vestibule beaks on either or both sides, and have only an open air tent just for sun shade.  No need for ad-on beaks.

If you think that the ad-on beaks can be left home to save weight, a couple points:

Do you really know when a storm is going to hit.  Why take even the lightest tent or tarp if you can really know you are not going to need the protection.

After figuring in the weight of methods to temporarily secure the add-on beaks, will they be much lighter than just sewing  them in and leaving them attached.

If you believe in “be prepared,” it’s always good to have a light shelter.  And it doesn’t have to be DCF to be light.  There are cheap tents and tarps galore on line. You can’t bargain with the weather anymore than you can bargain with the devil.  Either way, things could go very wrong.

Kyler B
    BPL Member

@live4backcountry09

Locale: Kootenays

Yes exactly like the HMG echo, just rig it up on my flat tarp. Carry it for one side of the A frame making a ton of usable space but mainly blocking cold winds. When I don’t want to pitch an A frame I just keep it in my bag. I think it would only be used on rare occasions with a 7×9 tarp.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

@scfhome

Can you name a few?

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

It doesn’t have removable vestibule but maybe worth considering is the penta tarp.  I’ve been eyeing it.

https://wildgeardesigns.com/products/tarps/

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

the TREKKER TENT STEALTH has a beak that rolls back reminiscent of the old GOSSAMER GEAR SPINNSHELTER .

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

RayWay Products (Ray Jardine’s company) sells a “Bat Wing” kit for their beaked tarps (https://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Tarp-Kit/BatWing/index.htm), but they are easy to make (it kind of looks like a bat’s wing).  It clips into the tarp beak end in a few places and does an ok job of keeping out wind and rain, depending on the tarp pitch.  You can take two if you want to block off both tarp ends.

I recall I bought a kit and used it as a pattern to make another, and I’m about to scale it up and make one or two more for a 3P RayWay tarp (scaled up from plans for a 2P tarp).

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Oops, wrong thread. I meant to post in minimalism in winter. Sorry

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools