Topic

Removable tarp vestibule ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Removable tarp vestibule ideas

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Kyler B
    BPL Member

@live4backcountry09

Locale: Kootenays

I see the stone glacier and sling fin are using removable vestibules that tuck under the front of the tarp. Ray Jardeine has used something similar to this called a batwing for a long time.

I was wondering if anyone made anything (myog or manufactured) that would just clip over the top of one end of a flat tap. Something used to block driving rain and maybe even winds a little bit. Might not have to be filully waterproof.

It could probably be made out of something very light as it’s use would be super limited. Maybe even could be rigged up using something that you brought along like rain gear.

anyway I would love to hear peoples experiences. I know I’m asking the right crowd.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I made a triangular add on for an A frame tarp pitch and I attach it with 3/8″ velcro, then reinforce it with 4 small binder clips. I also sewed a vertical separating zipper on the vestibule for entry and exit. I attach the vestibule before I pitch the tarp. works great. We are frozen under a sheet of ice here in southern Indiana or else I’d set the tarp up outside and take pics. Questoutfitters carries the 3/8″ wide velcro.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Not on a flat tarp, but it could be rigged to block a good portion of the open end of an A frame tarp. This is my ULA rain kilt with a Cricket tarp.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

And here is a zip on/off addition I made for a flat tarp in half pyramid configuration. I used a separating zipper of course.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@Monte. That is awesome!! What material is that?  Kind of looks like my Lunar Solo but without the inner attachment. Very cool.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Very VERY minimalist but good coverage in storms.

A slight catenary cut on the two rear seams would give it a more taut pitch and be better in winds.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Thanks dirtbag. The material is RSBTR 20d silnylon. The add on portion could be made with a much lighter 7d silnylon or a .93 membrane silpoly because the beefier tarp fabric provides the core strength. You could even go with a .34 DCF is you had deep pockets and wanted the absolute lightest.

I’ve been thinking of making a zip add-on like this for a poncho tarp. but the poncho would have to be at least 8′ 8″ long.

Yea Eric, a cut cut on the tarp would give it more of a taught pitch, however, the whole idea in this application is for the flat tarp to retain its flat tarp qualities.Namely much more versatility for a multitude of pitches. The zip on portion for example could be used to close up the end of an a frame pitch with clever tying off.

Kyler B
    BPL Member

@live4backcountry09

Monte,

that’s brilliant! Looks like it gives you some better options for camp site selection. Have you had it in bad winds? Makes me wish I could sew better.

I like the attachment for the pole. I wonder how effective it would be made out of say argon67 or argon90 if it was put on the end of a A frame tarp. Maybe the piece with the grommet attachment for the pole could be put on the vestibule and used to guy out the Apex of the tarp. Then the corners steaked out along side of the tarp. I hope I’m making sense.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

@septimius

That is awesome!  I’m guessing you made it, what’s the weight?  How the condensation when all closed up? What size is your tarp?

I really like the coverage for rain/ storms.

I like flat tarps but depending on configuration and wind ect I like the closed in idea for rain.

I’ve been eyeing the zpacks pocket tarp with doors or the penta tarp by wilderness designs.

I’ll probably up doing a bivy/tarp combo…

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I have a silnylon rain skirt that has five loops on it. I’m 99% sure it’s from MLD. The fifth loop makes it easy to pitch in a triangle. I’ve tried it in the yard as a front door on a flat tarp in an A frame pitch and it seems like a good option but I haven’t spent a rainy night in it so I’m not sure.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Thanks for the good word Kyler and Josh.

Kyler. The Argon 67 and 90 you’re referring to has a DWR coating , but it’s not waterproof. 7d silnylon weighs around 0.8 oz per square yard. I wish I could set up my velcro A-frame tarp end addition to take some pics. The velcro holds better than you might think. Just set your tarp up out in the yard and measure the optimum width when it’s pitched. Also measure the tarp width when it’s laid out flat and then divide that number by 2. Now use the Pythagorean theorem to determine your desired finished dimensions. 1/2 triangle base width squared, subtracted from side length (half of tarp width laid flat) squared. Take the square root of that number. Now you have the finished triangle height you want. But you need to do two 1/2″ hem folds around the perimeter of the triangle, so you need to add 5 1/2″ to the width and 3 1/2″ to triangle height measurements in order to get your finished dimensions. Measure and mark half inch hem folds with a soluble white pencil around the perimeter of triangle. Next pin and iron each fold. Lastly sew the perimeter just once after you’ve double folded and pinned it. Now you can sew the velcro hook and loop onto the tarp and the 2 sides of your triangle. FINISHED. Attach a small binder clip to each side on bottom end to fortify the hold before you pitch tarp.

Josh. The tarp measures 56″ wide and is 106″ long. With the zip on addition total weight is 9.6 oz. Yes I made the tarp and the condensation isn’t too bad because it ends up having substantial clearance from the ground around most of the perimeter. Only back 2 corner tieouts are pegged directly to the ground.

Yes IMO the Pocket Tarp is great for those under 5′ 11″ tall. I have the Solo Hexamid which is the exact same dimensions as the Pocket Tarp. Of course you don’t have the versatility of a flat tarp, like for example when you’re hiking and a rain shower pops up. You can set the flat tarp up and make lunch and chill until the rain subsides.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

@septimius

That’s awesome,  I’m 6ft, so I’ve wondered about the pocket tarp or even the Gatewood if I’d fit…..

I also like the flat tarp for that reason as well.

I may have to venture into making my own at some point.

What do you do for bugs? Bivy? Net tent? Do you have a internal clip to attach either?

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

I use this .67 net I made for Pocket Tarps, Gatewood Capes, and other half pyramid tarps. Zippered entry. It took me 4 tries to get the dimensions right. Weighs 6.5 oz ( by itself). I just add a floor. In 2nd pick I have regular Tyvek folded and taped for a bathtub floor, but it’s heavy. I can also use a much lighter polycro. I find the slightly heavier 1 mil Gossamergear polycro (0.7 oz yd sq) is the best floor material for an SUL weight. DCF would also work great, but it is of course far more expensive. I hang the net by simply tying a loop onto my trekking pole. You could sew a loop on the tarp though.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Nice!

If you don’t mind I might have to hit you up for help ect in making one for myself! Both the net and tarp!

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Sure, but I don’t remember what I did with my measurement lists. The net has cat cuts, reinforcements, and involves double folded silnylon strips that are double sewn as seam connectors. Very complex, however, I can try to help anyway I can.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Before I moved to hammocks, I used my rain jacket as a tarp entry cover.  I opened it up and used 6 of those “snap” barrettes to clip it to the underside of my tarp.  I put the jacket hang loop over my pole tip to keep it centered and in place.  It certainly wasn’t perfect, but it protected the top 2/3 of my entrance from the blowing rain which kept much more of the interior dry.  The weight penalty of the clips was negligible.

I could attach it from within the tarp, but not as well as from the outside.  It was easy to remove from inside in the morning if I needed to put it on before exiting.

Kyler B
    BPL Member

@live4backcountry09

Monte,

thanks for the super helpful post. I guess 7d silnylon would be a good fabric. I’m not sure that the beak needs to be waterproof but if it can be for the same weight then why not I guess.

Now I guess the question remains is what is more weight efficient and versatile. A tarp with a removable vestibule or a larger tarp that can bet pitched into more protective configurations.

I have an 8×10 ran siltarp that I use solo that is very versatile. I use 3 or 4 different pitches and can camp anywhere you would really want to set up a reasonable ultralight 3 season tent.

The problem is that it weighs 15oz alone so with a bug bivy it doesn’t provide huge weight savings over my tarptent.

I could go with DCF but am not sure it would pitch as nice as the silnylon does in my more protected pitches. I use kind of a pyramid with a big open awning on the lee side.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Rab siltarps are of supreme quality. The 30d Cordura won’t let you down. I also like the numerous tieouts provided on the Rab tarps. Allows for far more pitches than just 8 tieouts. The Rab siltarps also come in a nice olive green color.

Even the camo DCF isn’t stealthy enough for my tastes. Nor is the Dyneema as forgiving and easy to pitch or durable as quality silnylon. The stretch of silnylon can be a good thing when the brunt of a storm moves in

My problems with larger tarps are, and I’m mainly talking about flat tarps:

1) Big time wind catchers. Not too bad in mild breezes, but when strong winds move in you have a lot more surface area to deal with. A lower profile rides out major blows far better. Of course a larger cat cut tarp can deal with the forces more efficiently than a similar size flat tarp.

2) Larger foot print. I like to have many options when it comes to setting up my tarp. A big tarp limits the possibilities. Much easier to find a nice little 4 1/2′ wide slot to set up in. Sure, the bigger tarp has it pluses in terms of space and you give up some of that with a smaller tarp, however, I’m willing to make that compromise.

3) Weight

4) Visibility. If you’re not a stealth camper then this doesn’t apply to you, but if you don’t want to be seen it goes without saying that a larger tarp stands out a lot more.

I like a smaller tarp paired with either a 15d poncho tarp or a 7d silnylon 4′ X 6′ tarp, in order to add additional coverage. Greatly helps in sustained rainfall, especially when you aren’t sleeping and you want to sit up and cook, hang out or whatever. The poncho is essentially no added weight if you’re already using it as raingear. Same with a rain kilt, but the kilt doesn’t provide as much coverage. A 7d 4′ X 6′ tarp weighs 2.2 oz.

Please post pics of your 8′ X 10′ tarp pitches if you have any Kyler. I love seeing a vast array of tarp pitches, regardless of the tarp size. Yes, I’m eaten up.

Kevin’s idea of using your rain jacket to help close up an A frame opening is a very good one. I’ve done it but it requires a little ingenuity and some fiddle factor.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Ill add to this.. other then the ridiculous price, DCF also does not pack away as versatile and small as silpoly or nylon. It is slightly lighter weight,  yes..  but I much prefer the pack size savings and less bulk.

Kyler B
    BPL Member

@live4backcountry09

Monte,

unfortunately I’m gone for work for months right now and have no tarp pitch pictures because I’m notoriously bad for taking photos on my trips. I will do some setups when I get home.

I do love the siltarp it’s served me well. I have no plans to stop using it. It actually could use a couple of mid panel tie outs to be perfect. You can always probably silnet them on. I had a re enforcement patch lightly glued on the inside for a pole when I thought I found the pitch I would use forever. It came off after a couple of trips and I don’t use that pitch anymore.

I use an A frame when I’m in a nice sheltered spot (preferred pitch). Half pyramid when it’s obvious what side I need shelter from. Forster tent on occasion. My favourite pitch for rough weather is a variation of a trapezoidal pyramid with the second pole pitched as a door or awning. I got the idea from a YouTuber by the name of Papa Hiker. You can see it in his video tarp camping in awful weather.

I think that this pitch is quite wind worthy actually. Low profile pyramids tend to do well. Mind you if I want to camp somewhere risky I just would bring my duomid.

I don’t have the issue of finding a camp site I just look for a place I can lay down with my bivy and pitch it directly over that place. I can camp almost anywhere. This is one of the big advantages of the tarp for me in a locale where offtrail travel is common and random camping is king.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

@septimius

It just hit me yours is very similar to the wilderness design penta tarp or bear paid bear den but with removable door.

I’m really liking yours for the versatility of basically 2 flat tarps.  I do have to admit I think I like a square tarp just for more options of pitches but for a very light set up just for hiking yours is hard to beat imho.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Here’s an old post you might find interesting. https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/105872/#post-2222897

Here’s a bunch of pictures of makeshift doors for my pocket tarp. Maybe it would give you some ideas. https://imgur.com/a/jgxOg0S

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Monte,

The tarp measures 56″ wide and is 106″ long. Im assuming measurements as flat, not pitched?

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Yes Josh, that is the laid flat dimensions.The tarp is a little too narrow for a comfortable A frame pitch. It can be done, but as you’d expect you have to shimmy like a worm going into a tube to get under it and you have near zero headroom. Far better than nothing though when the rains move in. I think the optimum size solo tarp, especially if you are going to employ zip on, velcro or clip on attachments, is the 70″ X 108″ Borahgear 20d silpoly tarp. Weighs 7.45 oz and is only $65. Best deal going. I find that if you go any wider than that your half pyramid pitch sags too much and you can’t get a taught pitch. If you do a more involved half pyramid pitch like the one Kyler describes with his 8′ X 10,’ then I’m sure it’s different, but for a conventional half pyramid like the one I have in the pics above,70″ wide should be the maximum width IMO. And it’s wide enough for a livable A frame, yet still small enough to have a low profile, small footprint and be stealthy.

Borahgear Solo Tarp. Comes in gray and dark olive. If you add 2 mid panel reinforced tieouts your pitching options go way up. https://borahgear.com/tarps.html

Actually small binder clips work great to attach rain kilts, ponchos, rain jackets, mini tarps or any waterproof materials to a tarp opening, No sewing needed and it gives you far more versatility in adapting to any size tarp or tarp pitch. As long as you clip them over a 3/8″ – 1/2″ hem they hold well, except for the strongest of winds. However if you don’t clip them over a hem the holding power goes way down. The binder clips weigh exactly 0.1 oz (2.8 g). As soon as it gets daylight here in Indiana I’ll take some photos of the clips to show how they work.

I don’t know how the SMD Serenity Net would fit someone your height because I’ve never owned one. The only half pyramid innernet I know of with enough length for taller people is the discontinued ZPacks Hexamid Solo Plus innernet. You might find one with a WTB on Gearswap. Making a net like the one I have in the pic above is quite the ordeal. Someone with professional skills I’m sure could produce one much easier though.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Monte,

I’ve been looking at the Borah Gear tarps as well and I know John would easily add on tie outs. Looked at the solo and his larger on.

The clips make sense I think…. what part of Indiana are you in? I’m in South Bend.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools