Topic

Removable door for net tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Removable door for net tent

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike The Slug
    BPL Member

@sloper

I have a net tent which i use under a tarp set up as an A frame. One end of the net tent has a solid nylon panel which keeps angled rain out during storms but the door end is net so I am wondering if anyone has made a detachable panel  or a Ray Jardine “bat wing” style door to help close off the end in a heavy rain. I dislike the idea of using; snaps, velcro or a zipper and wondering what folks’ thoughts or experience is with a magnetic attachment system?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

A few years ago Big Agnes had the Fishook tents using magnets instead of zips.

They are no longer made.

Maybe you should try to find out why.

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Wondering if you’re in danger of over-engineering here?

Any magnet strong enough to stay closed when the wind gusts is surely going to be heavy?

I have a storm panel for my TrailStar that’s attached with bungee cord. The bottom chords are hooked onto the pegs that secure the door, and the top chords are secured to mitten hooks inside the tarp.

Simple, light, and hasn’t let me down yet.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Any magnet strong enough to stay closed when the wind gusts is surely going to be heavy?

Not necessarily. A rare earth magnet with sufficient surface area should do a very good job of holding a door closed. These 0.5″ flat magnets weigh only 0.05 ounces and have a 2.5 pound pull force:

https://www.magcraft.com/magcraft-nsn0640

The closure would be even stronger by incorporating a protruding edge on the door fabric (maybe some shock sewn along the edge) to catch against the magnet when the fabric is being pulled apart by strong wind. One could even design a backup clip or two for very windy conditions to augment the magnets if very windy.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

zPacks uses a simply toggle/loop closure on some of their shelters, see here. Might work for you, and is very light.

Mike The Slug
    BPL Member

@sloper

Thanks for the reference Doug. This is a great solution.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools