Topic

REI now stocking HMG backpacks (online only)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI now stocking HMG backpacks (online only)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

REI now lists Hyperlite Mountain Gear backpacks for sale online. This is interesting for a couple of reasons:

• REI giving more focus to lightweight/UL gear
    • REI return policy makes it easier to try out a pack, and you can return it to a store rather than ship it back if it’s not right for you.
    • REI frequently has 20% discounts (next one should be in March). Assuming HMG packs will be eligible for the discount, this could be helpful.
    • Another use for dividend dollars if you’ve got ’em.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I think we’re getting to the point where lightweight gear is just gear. Another cottage goes mainstream.

spencer c
    Spectator

@spencer92-2-2

FYI some stores are now getting them stocke. When I was in store getting my girlfriend fitted for her first pack and noticed them the sales rep said they were getting all stores designed at “AT” and “PCT” stores stocked with them first. Not too sure what makes a store designed as one as this was suburban Boston.

Do you think HMG quality will suffer with growth and is cottage going mainstream really that bad? I seem to compare this to a small tech company blowing up, more money for them and easier access to the product for us. I’m thinking of getting a SW 2400 with the upcoming 20% off since it seems like a great pack and good for bike commuting too

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

“Do you think HMG quality will suffer with growth and is cottage going mainstream really that bad?”  Time will tell on quality, but no it doesn’t have to. And isn’t growth the goal of many companies cottage included? Kelty was cottage once too.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

Not so sure Kelty’s such a great example to illustrate that quality doesn’t have to suffer when a cottage company goes mainstream.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Right. Just as all cottage isn’t necessarily quality. BPWD comes to mind.

Sam C
    BPL Member

@crucial-geek

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I think that REI may have them in select stores, but not sure about that.

Anyways, a heads up:  if you are an REI member, member coupons come out this Friday.  So, you should be able to purchase an HMG for 20% off (~$60 savings).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools