Topic

REI Air Hammock – Seeking Comments & Opinions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping REI Air Hammock – Seeking Comments & Opinions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Don H
    BPL Member

@donh-1

Locale: Midwest

Hi everyone.  I’m new to relatively new to backpacking, BPL, and hammock camping.  I recently purchased a REI Quarter Dome Air Hammock which I used during a Boundary Waters trip in July.  Overall I like the product but see some areas for improvement which I want to pass to REI.  Rather than just send one guy’s thoughts, I thought it would be more effective to collect the opinions of you smart BPL folks and pass a collective assessment (no names of course, just facts).   Here’s what I think, please pile on your thoughts and I’ll consolidate.  Haven’t found any posts like this on any site I’ve checked.

Also, if this is not an appropriate use of BPL please let me know … that would be a newbie error!  Thanks, Don
    Disclaimer:  I don’t work for REI but am a part of their (large) REI Advisors network because I like the company.  REI did NOT ask me to do this … I just like the hammock and want to see it improved.

OVERALL.  Good hammock, well constructed, good price point.  Good comfort, average weight for a bridge hammock, easy to use suspension.  Limited storage and small fly.  Permanently fixed spreader bars a con.

PROS

• <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Comfort</span>.  Nearly flat lie with decent width.  No shoulder squeeze for me (I’m 5’9″ average build) and I was able to side sleep.  Fetal position sleepers would have a problem but I don’t know many hammocks that allow for that position.
    • <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Setup</span>.  Easy for a novice like me.  Color coding helped, especially for folks wanting to help me set it up (‘blue to blue’).  I marked the whoopie slings to tell when I was getting near their inner limit if the trees are too close even when wrapping the traps a couple of times.  May be a newbie error.
      • Question.  There are little blue loops on the rain fly which REI tells me should attach to the blue clip on the bugnet.  When I do this they always pop off as the hammock drops when I get into it … is this normal?  I think I’m doing something wrong here.
    • <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Flippable Setup</span>.  Easy to transition from bug net to open air hammock.  Small storage pockets for both options.
    • <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Bugnet</span>.  Out of my face and I can sit up in the hammock without problem.

CONS

• <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Permanently Attached Spreader Bars</span>.  Really wish I could store the bars on the outside of my pack and small stuff sack the hammock.
    • <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Storage</span>.  Like very little.  Warbonnet’s Ridgerunner Saddlebags are supposed to be really nice.
    • <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Rain Fly Too Small</span>.  While we did have a good, cold, wet night at Boundary Waters (a mandatory requirement of the BWCA I think) and I did NOT get wet, I could see that happening if the rain is coming at an angle anywhere near the ends.
    • <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Rain Fly Touches Spreader Bars in Storm Mode</span>.  Until I got into the hammock the spreader bars touched the rain fly (not mid-fly anchors to tie off).  Once in the hammock there was no contact.  I’m not sure there would be wear and tear but would like your thoughts.

NEUTRAL

• <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Suspension Attached to Tree Huggers</span>.  Some reviews I’ve seen don’t like this and want the greater flexibility of picking their tree suspensions system … such as Atlas Straps.  Some suggest the whoopie slings be connect to the suspension instead and carabiner to the tree straps.
    • <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Color</span>.  Mixed reviews I’ve seen.  I’m OK with the red but I’m just a backpacker and not hunter or the like.
    • <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Underquilt</span>.  Synthetic insulation so it’s heavier and packs larger than down but that may be OK in a wet environment.
      • Question.  Has anyone used the REI Underquilt yet?  I didn’t have it in the BW (sleeping pad – sides got cold) and haven’t tried it out yet (July may not be the most challenging test :).

Thanks ahead of time everyone!
    Don

[moved to Hammock Camping – MK]

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

News to me that REI had this

https://www.rei.com/product/110804/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-air-hammock

Yet another bridge hammock choice.

windsor ak
    BPL Member

@windsor

Locale: MN

Detailed reviews on Hammock forums.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/136908-REI-Quarter-Dome-Hammock-Review

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/136730-Video-REI-Hammock-v-Ridgerunner

Personally I wouldn’t use the REI quilt. Too heavy and bulky and the temperature rating seems optimistic. A few cottage manufactor have economy lines of down quilts that are well priced and good for their rating. Even if the weight of an econ down quilt is only 4 to 6 ounces less it will pack much smaller.

Don H
    BPL Member

@donh-1

Ken T – thanks for the link, I forgot to post it.

Don H
    BPL Member

@donh-1

Windsor, thanks for the references – good reviews both.  I’ll include them in my summary.  Much appreciated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools