Topic

Recommended shops for a custom groundsheet?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Recommended shops for a custom groundsheet?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Parker
    BPL Member

@rwparker35

Locale: Columbus, OH

Anyone have any recommendations on reputable shops that are currently taking new orders for custom groundsheets?

Looking for something made out of coated Silpoly or even DCF if that is all they do.

Nothing fancy, just a simple 48×86 rectangle with adjustable tie-outs at each corner.

I currently use plastic sheeting that I cut myself. While it is a super cheap option that works, I want something with adjustable tie-outs at each corner.

Thanks!

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

I’ve had great success with Bearpaw..has made 2 custom DCF ground sheets for me..quick turnaround…..very pleased with the quality………….however…” communication “ is not their forte….You place an order…no communication..then you ground sheet shows up on your doorstep

https://www.bearpawwd.com/

JVD
    BPL Member

@jdavis

Locale: Front Range

I have 3 items from Borah Gear, though not a groundsheet. I’ve been really happy with the quality and customer service. John was gracious in modifying my two tarps and bivy. You might ask about making the size you need.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Totally cool if it’s not your thing but making a ground sheet using DCF would be a tremendously easy project. You could even make a prototype using some Tyvek to verify your pattern. I don’t sew but I have enjoyed making several small projects using the techniques shown here:

YouTube video

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

Sewing your own is a rewarding project.  It’s a great skill to develop and a groundsheet is a really easy place to start.  I don’t have very good sewing skills but have sewed footprints, tarps, stuff sacks, and a couple of quilts.  The quilts were more difficult of course, but even those are just one line of stitches at a time.  Below is Tyvek footprint and a 1.1 oz silpoly footprint for my Durston XMID 1P, doubled hemmed with adjustable tieouts on the corners.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Regarding the adjustable tie outs on groundsheet corners – are you guys attaching these to components on your overhead shelter, or are you staking these corners to the ground directly? I’m trying to make one for my tarp just to keep the wind from flapping it around at night.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Ryan, I’ve always found tying off to my shelter to be kinda fiddly/wonky. If the ground is relatively soft I’d think some tiny toothpick stakes might be easier.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I really like the idea of being able to stake a ground sheet. Bob’s silpoly sheet looks great! However, in the Sierra, the ground is not soft. So, my stakeless 1 ounce polycryo ground sheet becomes, with a dedicated sheet and stakes….I dunno, 6 ounces? I’m not sure that it’s worth it.

I will use rocks to pin the polycryo as I set up my tent on top. A very tiny gust will blow that stuff around. But it can tear at the rock point too if one is not careful.

Maybe the dedicated sheet with tie outs, but rocks on the tie outs…

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Definitely consider making your own. A rectangle with finished edges and four webbing loops at the corners with LineLoc 3 adjusters would be a very simple project for you, even if you’ve never sewn anything before.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Ryan: “I’m trying to make one for my tarp just to keep the wind from flapping it around at night.”

So you’re thinking of using your weight on the groundsheet attached to the tarp to help stabilize the tarp and keep it from fluttering and flapping?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

@obxer no sorry – I mean to keep the edge of my groundsheet from fluttering and flapping.

Parker
    BPL Member

@rwparker35

Thank you to everyone for the recommendations. I have reached out to a couple places and will see if/when I hear back.

I don’t have a huge desire to try and sew my own.

If anyone on here has experience making a Silpoly groundsheet with adjustable tieouts on all four corners and wants to make a few bucks send me a message. That link in the previous sentence is for the material I would prefer to use. It runs $7.50 per yard from Ripstop by the Roll (you would need approximately 3 yards).

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Jared at https://simplylightdesigns.com/ does custom work, his prices are reasonable (I think), he is fast and a pleasure to work with.

Dave at https://bivysack.com/ may also be able to help.

Good luck!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

You can use bits of cut wine cork and hair ties to add tie-outs to your plastic groundsheets at the corners.

How to make a bathtub floor out of flat plastic sheet

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Tape & Nail

Made a new 96” x 40” Polycryo (Tent Footprint) for one of my granddaughters. Cut four pieces of Gorilla tape 4.67 cm long and then on an angle to form two triangles. Affixed both triangles “back to back” with the Polycryo sandwiched between on the ends of the Polycryo. Punched a small hole in the triangular pieces so a nail could secure the triangle end of the Polycryo to the ground. Have had no issues or problems to date with this method. Place the folded footprint and 4ea nails in a ZipLoc bag and slide it in the tent bag with the tent.

Total weight:  61g / 2.2oz

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’ll second Iago’s recommendation of Simply Light Designs. I purchased a tarp and some custom sized stuff sacks from him a couple years ago. Jared was very responsive, communicated quickly/clearly and delivered quality product at a great price.

Parker
    BPL Member

@rwparker35

I sent a message to Jared at Simply Light Designs and he got back to me right away. We talked through what I wanted and he made some suggestions on material and construction. He gave me a very reasonable price and his projected turnaround time was only a couple days. Pretty impressive. Order has been placed with him.

I will report back once I have the groundsheet from him.

Parker
    BPL Member

@rwparker35

I received my custom groundsheet from Jared at Simply Light Designs and I am very impressed. Ended up going with a Silnylon 1.1 fabric and the groundsheet weighs 4.9 ounces (48″x86″).

I contacted Jared on Wednesday and he got back to me within a few hours. We discussed fabric choices and tie-out options and within a few more hours I had my order officially placed and payment sent over to him. He had the groundsheet made and shipped out by the end of the follow day (Thursday). I received it in the mail today (Saturday). That is an absolutely insane turnaround time for a custom item.

His work quality is excellent. Groundsheet is exactly the size requested and it is an actual rectangle instead of some odd cut shape. All the stitching is perfect and corner loops are well secured.

Also, the cost was very reasonable. Total was $40 plus $5 for shipping.

I would highly recommend Jared at Simply Light Designs.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Glad you are happy, Rob. I have ordered a number of things from Jared through the years, and my experience has always mirrored yours for communication, quality, speed and price.

David Sugeno
    BPL Member

@davesugeno

Locale: Central Texas

Glad to see SLD get some love here.  Jared does great work, and (just as importantly, to me) provides excellent customer service.

Robb Watts
    BPL Member

@rwatts

Locale: Western PA

I had Jared (Simply Light Designs) make a custom sil nylon ground sheet for my Ultamid 2. I had it made with tie out loops on the corners, long sides and in the middle (to hang from a tree branch); with a reinforcement patch for the center pole. It doubles as a lunch tarp for crappy weather while traveling.

Nice sewing and quickly delivered. Price was quite reasonable.

One of those simple things that prove so handy.

Like Dave from Oware, Jared is one of those vendors who deliver products and service you can count on.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

https://blog.owareusa.com/2015/08/05/add-a-tarp-tie-out-point-with-just-a-piece-of-cord/

Not everyone needs a hemmed ground sheet and a cord can be attached without sewing as well. Old school.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Yeah, old school

I’ve done that with a rock or a Styrofoam ball.  Clever to use a knot that’s part of the cord.

My only complaint is it sort of sacrifices the outer inch or two of the fabric.  You pull on a point an inch or two from the edge of the fabric.  Not a total waste though, it sort of makes a fold in the fabric on the edge which raises above the ground which helps keep dirt and stuff from blowing onto the groundcloth

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Is it possible to make a no-sew silnylon/poly ground sheet?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools