Topic

Recommend me a sewing machine

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Recommend me a sewing machine

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    CARLOS C.
    BPL Member

@lamboy

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Finally scrapped up some funds to get a sewing machine for the family/me. What should I look into? Any  new models that would be good? Mostly for making garments and hammocks not likely making anything like a backpack. Repairs also of course.

CARLOS C.
    BPL Member

@lamboy

Or do the older all metals still reign supreme?

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaron_p

Locale: California

I can’t really speak to newer machines, but if you can find an old, well maintained machine, they do tend to work well.  In addition to being all metal, they usually have slightly more powerful motors than comparable modern machines.   One of these is a favorite Craigslist find. These sort of machines may be a bit more robust than modern equivalents, but if you look around the used market, you’ll often see people trying to sell these old machines as “industrial strength” or “semi-industrial” and jacking up the price.  I would avoid that sort of hype, they’re really not industrial class machines at all.  For example, they’ll still choke up trying to sew foam, and you might have to slowly hand crank them to get through some thicker layers of fabric and webbing (but you said you’re not making backpacks, in which case I’d probably look for a decent modern machine anyway).  Finding replacement parts for older machines can sometimes be an issue.

CARLOS C.
    BPL Member

@lamboy

I have found these two Necchi locally on craigslist but im just not sure if worth it on price.250.00 with table and manual attachments etc( seems like a good value considering the type) then the below one at 100 including the table.

I thiink i may have a line on a Singer 503a and perhaps a 15-91. Not sure on the pricing for those.

Jack
    BPL Member

@j4ck

Locale: New England

The two Necchis are more or less the same machine, with the green one actually being the more desirable. $100 for a clean working machine is OK, depending on your market. They are very nice machines and it helps to have a zig-zag option. With all old machines, be sure to check the wires to make sure they are not dry and cracked. If they are in the basement, be sure to ask to bring them outside in better light. Basement light can be deceiving!

That said, you can certainly find something cheaper. The Singer 15-91 is a classic and you should have no trouble finding many fine examples for very cheap. Plus, very easy to find parts and online guides (both use and repair) for the 15 and its bigger brother, the 201.

The best way to find a cheap machine is to search for “sewing machine” on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and look at the pictures. The ones that fall through the cracks are the ones that don’t list the model in the advertisement. That said, you roll the dice with condition on these types of listings, as they are more likely to have been sitting abandon in the attic.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Carlos – what type of fabrics and projects will you be sewing? Mostly ultralight fabrics, or will you be making backpacks and heavier stuff too? Any clothing? Here are some general things to consider:

• Get a machine with a sewing table. I just finished making a recessed table for my Singer 4423 machine (a new model). A table makes sewing twice as easy, twice as fast and twice as accurate.
    • Make sure the machine you get has enough room under the presser foot to fit thick materials under it – between the presser foot and the machine bed. This can be a problem when sewing backpacks with foam padding. My machines barely fits two layers of fabric with 1/4″ foam sandwiched between, and it’s very tight and tends to cause lots of jams unless the machine is driven slowly by hand.
    • If you want to do clothing, including hemming pant legs, get a machine with a free-arm (pretty common).
    • Get a machine with a smooth and precise foot pedal (speed controller). The one on my Singer 4423 is not very precise – it goes from zero to way-too-fast with the slightest pressure, making it challenging to get a controlled and consistent stitch speed.
    • It’s nice to have multiple needle positions to use with a zipper foot. That way, you can orient the piece you are working on any way you want to sew from the left or the right.
    Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaron_p

Locale: California

He said he intends to sew hammocks and garments.  A sewing table can be nice, but so can a free arm on a portable machine.  If you want to sew around stuff like cuffs, arm holes, waistbands, hats, etc, the free arm makes the piece a lot more maneuverable.

CARLOS C.
    BPL Member

@lamboy

Sorry just getting back to this.This machine could also potentially be used by the wifey for quilting and other projects, but it will be primarily me and the uses listed. Who knows if that will change in the future. I have been communicating back and forth with the owner of the black necchi. establishing what is working and what isn’t. He is somewhat flexible on the price and it seems that it may be in good working order minus just needing a little cleaning. I will be going to see it in person to check things out sunday.  Unfortunately I heard nothing back from the green machine owner.

Thanks for the guidance.

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

I recently bought a Singer 503A after doing some research online. I completely dissembled the parts for washing/cleaning as it was built in 1961. Its completely restored now and looks just about new. The machine is pretty heavy duty.

Jack
    BPL Member

@j4ck

Locale: New England

If you get the Necchi let me know and I can send you the manual and repair guide.

CARLOS C.
    BPL Member

@lamboy

I ended up getting the Black Necchi BU at a much lower price. Seems to need minimal cleaning and reoilung up as well ad new rubbers. But thats all i thihnk. May take it to a mechanic just to give it a once over to be sure.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools