Topic

Recent backpacking in Utah’s Escalante area

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Recent backpacking in Utah’s Escalante area

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

We recently completed six day trip to Escalante exploring some side canyons to the main river. Our illustrated trip report can be found at: http://doingmiles.com/2020-09-escalante/

Enjoy,

Amy and James

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Great report, looks like a trip for me!

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Really neat trip and photos.  Thanks for sharing!  The colors and textures in that part of the world are fascinating and always surprising.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I love Utah, it’s magical.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

That is just very awesome!! I would love one day to do something like this. So impressive!!!

Bob B
    BPL Member

@thegrizz

Amy and James, thank you so much for sharing this!

The Little Lady and I used your post as the basis for a 55 mile lollipop from Harris Wash TH, looping Wolverine and Little Death Hollow. We especially appreciated the photo of your car at the trailhead (2wd access was an annoyingly critical aspect of planning this trip), the instructions for entering/exiting escalante canyon at the sand hill and class 2 scramble, and most importantly the caltopo map w/ all your hard-earned notes.

This was our first time in Utah….  MINDS TOTALLY BLOWN!!!!!

I know you put a lot of effort and research into planning this trip and posting a great report after. That enabled us to have a fantastic time ourselves. Thank you!

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Gorgeous! thanks for posting these amazing photos. I love the lizard photo; it must have been patient with you! What were temperature ranges like?

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

Utah is indeed a treasure …now if we could only keep the Californians out 🤭

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

“Utah is indeed a treasure …now if we could only keep the Californians out”

I know what you mean. California used to be a nice place until people from Utah and  elsewhere started pouring in.

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

Lol I thought it was the other way 🤗 but would totally trade the great salt lake for tahoe

lisa r
    BPL Member

@lisina10

Locale: Western OR

I’ve done a few trips in the Escalante region and look forward to getting back again soon. I was supposed to head there this spring but had to cancel. Curious if anyone has experience down there in October? Seems like the weather could be nice that time of year but I’m wondering how hard it is to find decent water sources.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Lisa,

Sorry for the delayed response. Please see our most recent Utah trip report: https://doingmiles.com/2021-05-grand-gulch/

We discuss the current Utah water situation in detail in that report.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools