Topic

Reader questions on backpacking in kilts and skirts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Reader questions on backpacking in kilts and skirts?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Mordecai _
    BPL Member

@mocai

I suggest doing a trial with a loose-waisted skirt, held up by suspenders. You would wear the skirt lower than the pack hip belt, by two inches or so. If you don’t use a hip belt on your pack, you could wear it higher, if that is your preference. In any case, with bottom AND top ventilation, you probably end up with more ventilation. AND, depending on how loose and how long you want to go, more modesty.

But then the trick is finding the right suspenders. That should maybe be an article suggestion for your other forum, as the same trick could be performed with loose shorts (un-lined, non-binding at the waist). I’ve been curious to try this with some natural fiber shorts, but never did it. My Montbell suspenders are too short to get below the hip belt, and I never got around to finding a replacement. (Seems like a good MYOG project. Could someone else do this? I’m lazy…)

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Suspenders? Just don’t make the elastic too tight and you can move the position on your hips or waist wherever you want.

In regards to having skirts work in all conditions, they probably aren’t going to work in all conditions. There will be drawbacks in some conditions and advantages in others. Some of the advantages can’t be found in pants or shorts.

It works best to make your own skirt. Doesn’t even need a pattern. You can use old sheets, curtains or tablecloths from the thrift store.

Mordecai _
    BPL Member

@mocai

I would suggest no elastic at all. I guess I was unclear…

I’m thinking that the reason to wear a skirt is you want maximum breeziness… So, take the guy below and make his “skirt” UL, leaving enough room for air to pass through on TOP, as well as bottom.

(Also, I suggest NOT googling “naked barrel”)

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

In addition to all that has been mentioned, I would be curious about how others on the trail react (or not). Do they notice? Comment? Engage some in dialogue for their unvarnished reactions.

Ed Biermann
    BPL Member

@longstride

Sorry for the drift. Even more sorry to give The most just one the opportunity to go off.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Even as a woman people frequently ask questions. I also sometimes wear Luna sandals so that generates even more questions. Being ultralight in general generates the most questions.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t care how others react or don’t, but i haven’t had too many comments one way or the other.  I get the sense that there is a percentage of women that like it and/or find it sexy.

Worrying about what others think or don’t think about self, is perhaps one of the biggest time/energy wastes around.

Ed Biermann
    BPL Member

@longstride

nm, not worth it.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

As for reactions to a man in a kilt, I think the farther from a TH, the less negative you experience.  In town, the most   At least the positive reactions seem to go up in the wilderness as some male backpackers express outright jealousy at the perceived airflow.

Ed Biermann
    BPL Member

@longstride

Going to be reviewing these?

https://sportkilt.com

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I have really been wanting to try the Purple Rain skirt – but I worry about chafing, too.  I have moved to hiking in shorts pretty much through everything – even if it means some cut up legs here in the desert.  I just HATE hiking in pants…

But the shorts have to have enough coverage to keep any chafing at bay – so then I wonder how in the world I’d manage with a skirt….and you really go commando under there, eh?  how does that work when climbing steep hills with people behind you??

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Dying to try the SportKilts hiking kilt.  I wouldn’t go commando.  I’d wear black merino boxer briefs from the likes of Icebreaker or Stoic/Backcountry.com

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Any kilt wearers found a suitable sporran for the trail? Sport Kilt have the traditional leather / animal fur styles, which would be a liability, and a heavy duty tactical model which looks ridiculously oversized.

Oh, and suspenders means something completely different to anyone who’s lived in Scotland…

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

I’ve worn Purple Rain skirts for three years now. The pockets are perfect, the yoga waistband never wears out and is comfortable hi or low on the waist. Mandy, the creator and owner of Purple Rain has also made a wrap around style for both men and women. A friend of mine on the pct got one and wore it while I was there and while it seems like a good idea the flap on the front, which does button shut it did not appeal to me. I’ve got three of her hiking skirts and almost never wear anything else now hiking unless it’s snowing or extensive cold rain is expected, then I do prefer my railrider pants. Rain water just beads off the skirt. I carry a montbell Dynamo wind paint and long base layer to wear underneath 90% of the time if I expect cooler weather. I use ExOfficio and just deal with the chafe in real hot weather. I do own a kilt, but it’s too heavy for my liking when I can just use the lighter, more comfortable Purple Rain skirts. For those that don’t know Mandy is having a baby so if you want a skirt get it ASAP as she will not be making many once she busy with the baby.

I wore my Purple Rain the whole length of the Arizona Trail, just suffered thru the bushwacking which was a LOT and not nice, (i.e. mesquite, white thorn, catclaw, high grasses) but the hardest part was outside Tucson in the intense heat with more rain than normal last year hundreds of small flies like fruit flies would land on my bare legs every time I stopped to rest or take a snack break….guess they liked salt….it was horrid to say the least. I had no bug repellant and I hesitate to use it on large areas of skin for extended periods. Besides the more crud you wear on your legs the dirtier you get. I think I ran the whole Catalina and Rincon sections as fast as I could just to keep the flies off of me. It was too hot to wear my rain gear or base layer. But that has been the only time wearing the skirt was a pain. It’s definitely cooler, more comfortable and practical. And they are extremely durable.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

What is the benefit of a skirt rather than shorts?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greater convection/aeration, especially if one goes commando/warrior-squaw. If you’re wearing underwear, it still helps a bit, but not as much as a difference between shorts.

It’s also nice how easily and quickly you can throw on or take off pants if need be, while being able to also take off or put on the skirt or kilt easily and quickly.

Other than these, well, no magical powers are conferred, and you don’t all of a sudden turn into an ancient, immortal Highlander beast of a warrior, even if the skirt has pleats and is a kilt (“There can be only one”).

I tried that, didn’t work out so well.  Turns out that jumping off a cliff whilst wearing a kilt/skirt and yelling “FREEEEEDOMMMMMM” (and echoing “ARREATIONNNNNN”)…umm doesn’t keep one from breaking any bones and being seriously injured.  Go figure. (rolls eyes).

Anonymous
    Inactive

For the CT trip coming up, i’ve been thinking about making some .67 oz/yd2 nylon noseeum mesh pants, with some velcro on it around the knee areas, and then take some 1.1 oz/yd2 very breathable, non coated nylon fabric with corresponding velcro (spray this fabric with permethrin).

Wear under the skirt.  That way, still get very good aeration, good bug protection, and sun protection when it’s needed.  Could also have some other, water resistant fabric (like EPIC) that one could velcro on/off as needed.

Randy T
    BPL Member

@ochocowalker

Locale: Wet side of the Cascades

I’ve been hiking in kilts for the last 8 to 9 months and do so regularly now. Any time or place where I would or might have worn shorts, I wear a kilt instead. I have two, a Sportkilt original kilt and a Sportkilt hiking kilt.

Pros:

• Fantastic air flow and cooling, avoids build up of moisture and heat – I’ve never had chaffing
    • Very comfortable, it never bunches or tightens up like shorts can
    • Easy to put on / take off wind pants or leggings or pants or anything else underneath
    • It does not have a belt and does not interfere with my pack hip belt (I use an Arc Blast), as worn properly it is up high on your waist, not on your hips
    • Easy to both urinate (hands free, guys) and defecate (no pants to remove) with little danger of soiling yourself
    • Sportkilt uses velcro to fasten, so it very adjustable to your waist & any number of layers
    • In rain (I’m in Oregon), I use a poncho anyway and kilt does not interfere with this or get wet, it fact they work quite well together

Cons:

Almost all the cons of a kilt are similar to those with shorts due to having exposed lower legs: Bugs and cold are issues, just as with shorts. I soak my kilts in permethrin and carry permethrined leggings or wind pants to put on for bugs at rest stops & camp. I don’t hike in the East where ticks are rampant, so I can’t speak to that, but we do have a tick season out here too and so far it has not been a problem for me using that method.

For colder weather, from about 40 F up to the 60s F, I wear a Sportkilt original kilt. It is acrylic and moderately heavy. Now, I admit that I have pretty warm legs, so I had no issue with cooler weather, but below 40F or in wind, I will add wind pants. I have also used merino leggings a couple times. But for long hikes in below freezing weather, I switch to pants.

For warmer weather, I wear the Sportkilt hiking kilt, made of microfiber. It is light (12.3 oz on my scale, with two rather large pockets I had added to it). The only issue I have had is in blustery wind, it is so light that it will blow around a bit and flap in front. A safety pin fixes that.

Hiking through brush is an issue, just like with shorts. I hike almost always on trail, so it is not a major issue for me. If I know i am going into brush a lot, I’d wear long pants instead of a kilt just as I would instead of shorts.

Potential cons:

One thing you have to learn as a man is how to avoid absentmindedly exposing yourself to others. This means learning how to sit with your legs together, and to be aware of who is around and where you’re pointed (if you know what I mean.)

For instance, recently I reached some blow down on the trail and was about to hop over it, when a couple approached from the other side. At the last moment, I realized I should warn the woman on the other side. I said, “Watch out. I’m wearing a kilt, so you might want to turn your back as I hop over.” She did and thanked me.

When sitting down on the ground or a rock or in a (post-hike) chair, you have to learn to sweep your pleats under you as you sit down. If you don’t know how to do that (I didn’t), just ask any woman to teach you.

Another con to a kilt is wearing it inside a sleeping bag or quilt. It is difficult to get the kilt under you and keep it there when getting in and laying down. In a quilt, it gets tangled with any strapping beneath you, too. I find the best solution is just to take it off and use it as part of the bedding system instead. I’ll spread it out over my pad, or roll it up as part of my pillow system.

The final con, and this may just be me, but I find I tend to use my kilt a lot to wipe my hands on, like a chef’s apron in the kitchen. I know it’s bad habit, and I should use my bandana, but hey, there’s all this wonderful microfiber cloth down there just to be used as a towel. (As if Scotsmen didn’t.)

Reactions on the trail:

Most men studiously pretend to ignore it and say nothing. Sometimes, men will say with a bit of envy that it looks really comfortable. I tell them, yes, it is.

Women almost universally smile at the kilt. Bemusement might be the word for it. I am not sure why, but there seems to be something disarming about a man in a kilt that makes women feel comfortable. They tend to strike up conversations much more easily than if I were not in a kilt. Just my own perception of course and I am generalizing, but I had heard this from other kilt wearers before, and it is my experience as well.

A few people have occasionally asked if I am part Scottish or what my clan affiliation is. This usually leads to a nice conversation about our family and clan histories or our visits to Scotland.

Both my kilts have tartans. I have not hiked in generic, solid colors, like the El Kommando grey or Utilikilts sollid colors. so I can’t speak to those. Personally I think a kilt wants a tartan and that’s what I like to wear.

– Randy

Randy T
    BPL Member

@ochocowalker

@ Stuart  – I’m still hunting for a good sporran. I tried using the zPack cuben pouch, but at 4L, it is just a bit too big. It has a lot of connectors that make it easy to fit, though. But it doesn’t quite hang well. Instead, I had pockets put into my two kilts. It works but a good hiking sporran would be much better.

Pete M
    BPL Member

@munro21

I live on the west coast of Scotland and yet despite our heritage of kilt-wearing, there’s no way I’m exposing myself to the dreaded midges and deer ticks! Perhaps the clans of old were made of sturdier stuff.

Randy T
    BPL Member

@ochocowalker

@pete – I wouldn’t either if I lived there, or Maine or Ontario or Alaska, with the bugs in Spring and early Summer.

Basically, If I wouldn’t wear shorts, I wouldn’t wear a kilt. Since I mostly hike trails in the Cascades, Siskiyous and Sierras, I see a lot more “shorts weather” than other places.

Not to puncture the sacred mystery of what’s beneath a kilt, but except in really warm weather, I often wear running compression shorts under mine. To me, the airflow is almost as good & I can aways take them off if I need more.

Speaking of western Scotland, sightseeing about about twenty years ago I got off the train in Kyle of Lochalsh the first week of September and decided to walk over the (then new) bridge. I think I got frostbite.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Pete and Randy, what about if you wear mesh pants underneath the kilt?  The pants don’t have to be all mesh, if you walk through scrub etc, you could have a tougher, less easy to snag material on the lower part and have the mesh higher up, going under the kilt.  Still good convection/aeration but also decent bug protection.

Randy T
    BPL Member

@ochocowalker

@Justin

Hhhmm, interesting idea. There’s some regular mesh mesh pants made for wearing over shorts in hot, humid weather. Mesh is so easy to snag, but I like your idea of a mesh upper with a nylon lower pant leg. Haven’t used mesh pants myself.

The original Bug shirt company makes a shirt sort of like that. It’s part tough fabric and part mesh. I have one, it works. But I don’t think they do a part mesh pant like that. I don’t know.

Maybe this is something to ask our OP @Emylene and her brave Scotsman to try out for us: various bug pants combinations with a kilt.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, i’m not sure if any company sells anything like that, but it’s pretty easy and cheap to make if you have a sewing machine and some basic MYOG skills.  You can do it with no sewing machine, if you use the iron on, polyamide bonding, “no sew” stuff.  That stuff bonds really well to nylon, because it’s basically the same kind of material.

Just have to make sure the iron is not set too high, and if you’re bonding mesh to mesh, take a piece of parchment paper and put it in between the iron and the material, otherwise it will stick to the iron.

Oh, and it’s important to have nylon that is not treated with a DWR, otherwise it will not bond well.  You can always apply a DWR after doing all the bonding (if you want/need it).

Emylene VanderVelden
    BPL Member

@emylene-vandervelden

I’m back, sorry I took a little foray into the bush for a couple days. I really appreciate everyone’s detailed responses and questions. Helpful while I prepare and decide what accessories are needed. I like the bug pant idea. I was planning on permethrin leggings or something and my knee high gaiters at very least. Canada is much like Alaska for bugs, thorns etc. From the sounds of it you guys and gals will like what I have coming in as products for the tests.

I think if I was myoging a pair of mesh pants I’d make them just long enough to tuck into gaiters. I might just pick up a cheap Colman bug pant and give them a trim. My MYOG skills are strong but my available investment time is low right now.

Now I’m off to order Permathrin from REI since no one in Canada carries it. Nothing like international orders for basics……

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools