Topic

Quilt/Bag Pad Straps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Quilt/Bag Pad Straps

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Looking for advice on quilt/pad straps. I’ve had cold nights with drafty quilt use & tangled nights with bag use. Basic idea that down underneath is stupid & wasteful rings true to me. I’m trying to solve the issue.

I’m open to: excellent strap system that leaves much of the bag/quilt tucked on the sides -OR- fabric/bag attachment that goes over the pad to provide a seal.

Weight isn’t a huge deal. All seem pretty light (1-4 ounces) and I’ll lose that by removing bag zippers and hood.

Sewing isn’t a big issue either. I’m not a master, but competent enough to modify as needed.

Also – any comfort upgrades over sleeping directly on the pad or do folks just get used to that?

Thanks for any advice!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Some things that help me:

1. Fluff up the quilt, manually push the down from the edges to the center.
    2. Tighten the straps sufficiently. Don’t make them too loose.
    3. If you feel a draft, move your body into the draft, not away from it. I have found the draft is frequently caused by being not really in the middle of my pad anymore. Also you might have to recenter the quilt if you twisted it around with any tossing and turning.
    4. Want absolutely no more drafts? I like to sleep with a second quilt laid on top of me. An extra pound of perfect sleep is a luxury item I don’t mind bringing, especially in the colder months.
    Wild Exped
    BPL Member

@bankse

Locale: OZ

Depending on the width of your quilt, dare i say, you could add in a full length #5 zip (for 4 oz)?

Robert Richey
    BPL Member

@bobr

Locale: San Luis Obispo

The elasticized straps used by Enlightened Equipment for the last couple of years are a huge improvement. Check out the video on their website about straps and how they can be used. It eventually solved any and all problems connected with drafts and quilts.

lee kingry
    BPL Member

@leek2

Locale: Alabama and GSMNP North Carolina

Robert is Right ,I’ve also found even in single-digit weather I leave the straps always on the air mattress and slide the clips closer together so there’s more tuck, you actually wind up laying on a little bit of the edges but no drafts I also seriously close the foot box end. I pull the neck extremely tight but still comfortable to rotate my body and the quilt stays in place ,I have a little clip that keeps the extra string away from my face and a good hat, and appropriate base layers. On super cold nights instead of wearing my puffy I actually cover my torso with it so it stays on top as I twist or turn it also acts like an extra neck baffle, and draft preventer similar to Piper’s extra quilt.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado
    Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

@ Diane – that’s funny on #4. Exactly that is what got me thinking about this. I had a thin down blanket over my bag in cold temps last weekend and it was the most cozy I’ve been in a long time!

@ Robert & Lee – I’ll check those vids. The EE clips look good. Might be the cheap/light solution I’m looking for.

Robert Richey
    BPL Member

@bobr

Locale: San Luis Obispo

Here’s the link to the EE video. I found this extermely helpful and the new straps are great. Huge improvement.

YouTube video

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Since I started bringing a second quilt I have had way better sleep than I ever have in the past. Sometimes I bring the quilt instead of a puffy so there’s no weight penalty. This my extra quilt:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/sierra-stealth/

Note the picture of the guy wearing it. That’s why I love this quilt. It’s dual use. And I’m so short, where the quilt comes to that guy’s waits it come to my knees, so it’s super warm to wear sitting around in camp. I can pull my arms inside and tuck my legs in and be way warmer than sitting around in a puffy. Also, when it’s time to get up, I can get up in stages by putting my head through the hole of the JRB quilt so I can sit up and start putting stuff away without losing any heat, and then continue to wear it until the last possible minute. Takes the edge off getting up early in the cold.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I recall one of Ryan’s posts or articles talked a about layering quilts, specifically with a synthetic quilt on the outside.  I’ve been on the lookout for something like that, even through extended cold and wet weather is something I don’t encounter in SoCal very often.
    <p style=”padding-left: 30px;”>A JRB poncho liner quilt (synthetic) would seem like a great product, leaving my main down quilt underneath.  Not sure if it was mentioned on this thread, but EE has a chart that shows how cold you can take a combo of 2 quilts.  You don’t need much on the second quilt.</p>

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools