Topic

Laces on bottom of quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Laces on bottom of quilt

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I have a Katabatic Flex 22, and it is big enough to wrap all the way around me.  With the three straps cinched tight and the neck snapped, and can lay on my back with my hands tucked into my waist belt.  This is very comfortable and I don’t feel like I’m stressing the fabric.

But there is only three straps and a snap (north of the zipper).  Has anybody modified or made a quilt with a laces linking the edges of the quilt?  This would allow you to minimize drafts along the entire non-zippered portion.  Certain sections could be draw tight, other left loose, as needed.

Keep in mind that I haven’t had extensive use of my Flex, so I don’t really know if drafts will be an issue.  I’m just going by my past experience with a Palisade I had about 5 years ago.  I have tried the clips on the string (around the pad); just not my cup of tea.  And, just like with the straps, there are very few holding the edges down (only two).

Cheers

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have not done as you suggest, but the little plastic things that the straps went through on my quilt broke at some point, so I sewed on gross-grain ribbon loops to replace them. It’s a pretty simple thing to do and you could just add as many as you want.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

^My thought as well, sew extra grosgrain loops for additional attachment points, very simple project.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

“Keep in mind that I haven’t had extensive use of my Flex, so I don’t really know if drafts will be an issue.”

Yes. Figure that out. You may have nothing to worry about.

On a MYOG mod of a 40° bag-to-quilt project I added loops at each baffle – about 6″ apart. Just pinched the edge and sewed them on.

Not elegant, but sufficient.

I tied a knot to the bottom loop –

I used 1/16″ shock cord.

At the top, for adjustment –

I added a cord lock.  Leave the cord long for lots of room/freedom. To keep the “tail” out of your face when you have things cinched up simply send it back  down to a lower loop and tie it off.

The final result (with a high contrast cord) looks like this –

Have fun out there.

David Franzen
    Spectator

@dfranzen

Locale: Germany

The system on my MYOG quilt is very similar to Greg’s, but I didn’t like that i could not easily undo the shock cord. my solution was to use tiny clips, so i can unclip everything easily for more venting in ‘blanket mode’.

I got these clips at extremtextil.de in Germany

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools