Topic

Quilt Baffles – Tapering

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Quilt Baffles – Tapering

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

More progress. Got baffles done on one side, drawstring tunnel in, and liner prepped for baffles.

Sewn to shell
    Drawcord tunnel sewn in at first baffle.
    Liner prepped with tape for proper seam alignment.
    Used a buttonhole to feed drawcord in from the shell side.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Lookin’ good!

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

more work completed this weekend. All 27 baffles sewn in, end cap going in next and then fill. 6.65oz so far. Will add about .5oz for the end cap and then about 12 oz fill.

I stayed with constant width baffles since cutting them after I sewed them into the shell was a royal PITA. Will try a different technique on the next quilt.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Sorry Michael, I didn’t understand “I stayed with constant width baffles since cutting them after I sewed them into the shell was a royal PITA. Will try a different technique on the next quilt.”

If you shorten the widths the quilt will curve or at least not lay flat. I don’t see how you can change the width without this happening. If you change the thickness of the baffles, but, maintain the width, I believe the effect will be what you want. Or did I miss something?

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Sorry James, I meant thickness. I was planning to taper baffles but it was a difficult task as I defined my process. Baffles on this one are a constant thickness.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Got the footbox cap sewn up, just a few pics to show construction method. Added .2oz for total carcass weight of 6.65oz. I could have made the whole thing from M10 taffeta and fewer baffles to save a little, but I liked the fabric pattern and the little added strength of the micro rip stop and heavier denier of the M15 shell. Feels and looks awesome: went with a hex-shaped foot box as it matches with the shell pattern. 41” circumference.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

sewn in to the bottom

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Got it filled today, 12.13oz fill, 18.98oz total weight. Still need to add 2 flat buckles for closure, and I should be good to go.

Inside out, ready to be sewn up

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

looks good

do you weigh the down for each baffle?

those must be clips on the edge after you put down in each baffle

rather than use funnel, I just grab down between fingers and compress into a wad, then put into baffle.  Several wads to get all the down for one baffle.  Use a long finger to push the wad of down away from the edge.

after it’s sewn up then I’ll evenly distribute the down in the baffle.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Yeah, I weighed each baffle amount on the scale- yes those are “quilting clips” I got from a friend who does traditional quilting. They work great. I tried the compress & stuff method you describe,  but the down started sticking to my fingers about 2 baffles in, I wasn’t having none of that. A lot more tedious than I expected. My sleep deprivation from a newborn doesn’t help with my patience.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Good information here on different ways to do things, thanks

I weigh down for each baffle also, but it’s time consuming.  I assume real quilt makers just blow it in.  After a while they get the feel of how to do it.  If there’s a little extra down it doesn’t matter.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

I am sure manufacturers have an easy way to know how much is going in, I doubt they just go until they feel it is good, as that is money down the drain for all but the biggest manufacturers.
    this one goes over my head easily without touching the foot box bottom (I am 6’1”). I may have made it a little too long. Oops.

Fluffy and warm

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Wild pattern!
    Who wants boring plain?

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Hopefully not me :) I bought enough to make two, so maybe another person will want one.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools