Topic

The BPL Podcast: What Are Your Questions about Synthetic Insulation?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The BPL Podcast: What Are Your Questions about Synthetic Insulation?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Hey everyone – we are recording our first podcast in a few weeks (it will go live March 25) and are going to have segments featuring Listener Q&A and Listener Tips related to the overall theme of the podcast.

For this episode, the theme is going to be “synthetic insulation”, coinciding with our release of Max Neale’s 16 jacket reviews and state of the market report being published this month.

If you’d like to be featured on the podcast and have us answer your question in detail, please email your questions to [email protected].

Tips:

• Let us know your name (first is fine) and where you’re from.

Instructions:

Thanks for participating!

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

So my question about synthetic insulation is, how much does the insulation degrade over time if not in use. I know synthetic doesn’t last nearly as long as down but I have an arsenal of different jacket for different weather and environments. I just bought my first synthetic last year and i have not used it very much, maybe 10 day. Will the insulation break down if just hanging in the closet?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

->  Which synthetic fill (brand and type) has the best resistance to losing loft after a few hundred stuff cycles? I have read that Climashield is one of the best.

-> Which synthetic insulation fill brand is the best for both loft retention and R value?

-> is there a “best” synthetic insulation for insulated air mattresses? (And a best way to stabilize them inside the mattress?)

David Phillips
    BPL Member

@dphilli1_00

What is the impact of long-term moderate compression on synthetic jackets?  i.e. bottom of pack for 4-6mo vs fully compressed for a few days at a time

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

Given that all of the commonly held synthetic insulation myths are false:

• warmer when wet (it’s not, because it’s still wet)
    • hydrophobic (the fibers may be, but the air gaps soak up water like a sponge)
    • dries faster than down (only if it’s 100% soaked through and through)
    • less maintenance than down (not if you have a washer and dryer and some tennis balls)
    • better for active pursuits (100% polyester fleece dries faster)

What should synthetic insulation manufacturers focus on? What kind of innovations should we expect in 2019 and 2020?

Chris H
    BPL Member

@c_hansell

Perhaps a stupid question (apologies – relatively new to the site), but where can I access the podcast itself?

Chris H
    BPL Member

@c_hansell

Ah – got it!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Really well hidden

https://backpackinglight.com/podcast/?utm_source=drip&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Podcast+No.+1+%2B+Synthetic+Jackets+State+of+the+Market

Would be nice to have a run time posted in the notes. This podcast is an hour and twenty minutes long.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools