Topic

Quality of used gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

This is probably addressed somewhere on BPL and I haven’t found it, but maybe someone can tell me. I was thinking about posting a WTB message for a tent on the gear swap, but I wondered if people have sometimes ended up with gear in poor condition. Without being able to see it I’m a bit leery of paying for and ending up with a lemon, especially after reading the bathroom threads where people don’t leave the tent, eew. Should I be more trusting of BPL readers and posters? Anyone ever had a problem or have people found good stuff this way? There seems to be tons of traffic, which is encouraging.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

No guarantees in life, no difference here. I have heard of bad dealings, but most seem to go fine. I don’t buy from anyone who only posts in Gear Swap. Some sellers here have a stellar reputation. Have had a couple of unbelievably bad sellers here, I mean laughably bad.  Detailed description and ample photos should let you know what you are getting. Too stressful, buy new.

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

I used to worry the same about eBay items.  But after hundreds of purchases I’ve had nothing go wrong.  I’m sure at one point I’ll receive an item that’s not as advertised, but I’ve saved so much by buying used items I’d still be way ahead so I don’t worry about it anymore.

From this site, everything I’ve purchased has been as advertised and in great condition.  I won’t purchase an item if there’s no photos or if it’s not well described. I figure if the individual didn’t want to spend the time to take photos or write a detailed description, they probably didn’t take time to keep the equipment in good condition.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Out of 25 clothing items on eBay, I’ve had one bad outcome (a portable playpen that reeked of smoke).  I didn’t ask if it was “smoke free”, they didn’t claim that it was.  I didn’t try to return it or get a refund.  The 8 times I’ve bought gear on BPL, it’s been exactly as described and people seem to be especially careful about disclosing all faults.  If its exact condition is important to you and the description is vague like simply “in good condition”, then I’d ask for more details or pass on it.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Where’s Jimmy’s post?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I would ask for the number of nights it has been used. Assuming the user wasn’t abusing it or using it in mostly extreme weather, that would give you some idea of wear and tear (in addition to verbal description and pictures).

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I don’t buy from anyone who only posts in Gear Swap

+1  The BPL “regulars” are all upstanding, honest folks.  When considering a GS purchase I always click a seller’s link and quickly peruse their history on this site, and I expect others to do the same with me.

I figure if the individual didn’t want to spend the time to take photos or write a detailed description, they probably didn’t take time to keep the equipment in good condition.

Yep.  And historically, this community has been exceptionally well self-policed.  Anyone involved in even remotely shady shenanigans has been immediately, and sometimes brutally, publicly outed for all to see…and come to think of it, that has not happened in quite a while. I am very careful to be 100% honest with the items I sell on GS and I think that goes for 99.9% of us.  I have yet to have a bad experience buying or selling on BPL.  This is really quite a small community and most people cherish their reputation too much to attempt to pass off shoddy merchandise as something it isn’t.

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

There are a lot of people on here like me who get out a few nights every few months. Gear purchasing, swapping, trying out, etc…is part of the fun. I often sell gear that is technically used, but might as well be brand new. I have bought several items over the years and never had an issue either. As has been mentioned I do try to check a persons history before purchase.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Ken, I tried like heck to get my post in and it would not take. BPL has done this to me before and I’m tired of wrestling with this site. First post does not appear so I try again and it tells me my post is a duplicate then when I open a new window and refresh the sight it still will not post and it starts all over again. Forget it!!

I had to copy, paste and PM Karen with my post. Hopefully she received it and it was helpful.                jimmyb

Curious to know how you knew I even posted, I see nothing on my screen right now.??

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

It was there for a few minutes.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Jimmyb I did get your post, since I had notifications turned on. I have no idea why the forum is doing weird stuff. So far I haven’t experienced problems with it.

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

I’ve been too active on gearswap for my own good. Most purchases have been smooth, many have exceeded expectations, and a few have been problematic.

Some of my used tent purchases have had a strong storage smell and one particularly noxious Tarptent had a broken door zipper. Seller said sorry, it hasn’t left the stuffsack in a year (stored there apparently.) After I returned it, the seller suggested I had “sabotaged” his tent out of buyer’s remorse. I doubt it could get worse than that :).

Ask very carefully about the smell, the number of days used, and how it’s been stored.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I wanted to post an update on my original query. First a thanks to all respondents. I went ahead and bought a used 1p Tarptent Moment DW back in April. I had only a couple of short trips with it this summer, but I’m really pleased with it. It was a good deal and all the equipment in great condition.  I love the Tarptent, so easy and fast to set up, and held well in quite windy conditions on a fairly exposed ridge. I found it plenty roomy enough for me and my gear.  Sorry I didn’t get photos of the tent up there, will do next time. I appreciate the encouragement to give the gear swap a try. It also saved me 2 pounds from my old tent!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Super! Glad it worked out.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

This is a fairly small community and this shows in the quality of trades and sales. Those who are on the site regularly will not misrepresent the gear or try to scam someone. Just not worth it in the long term.

All the trades, sales and purchases I’ve done have went well.

Look to deal with people who are:
    – active on forums
    – write about gear
    – ask questions or provide advice
    – have a picture profile
    – have some information about them in the public profile

Obviously you can have a great transaction even without those, but they can help a satisfactory experience.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

Most transactions here have been straightforward and the gear as described.

The one that sticks out was a bivy whose floor had a seam – I never would’ve thought some one would sew a floor with a seam across the middle! The seller “neglected” to mention it at any point before shipping it.

I returned it (shipped international) at my expense.

Lesson learned never again to do business with that individual.

Was it a honest mistake? Or ignorance? I’ll never know and don’t care to find out.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I never would’ve thought some one would sew a floor with a seam across the middle! The seller “neglected” to mention it at any point before shipping it.
    I think you over-reacted. If the floor dimensions are bigger than the fabric width, what else is there to do?
    I know of some very high quality commercial tents which have a seam through the middle of the floor. All properly seam-sealed and not leaking.
    That the vendor did not mention it may be simply because it is often how the tent is made. No evil motives at all.

Cheers

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I know of some very high quality commercial tents which have a seam through the middle of the floor

I’m pretty sure my Tarptent Notch had a seam that traversed the floor between the poles. Pictures of the Bowfin 1 show a similar floor seam. I’m with Roger, it shouldn’t be an issue if well constructed and properly sealed.

Eliot
    Spectator

@ejdiamond

As other allude to, I think a lot of the used gear purchasing process is using common sense and having standards for other people. Zero photos, minimal info with a ton of typos? Probably not reputable. Price too good to be true? It probably is. Only using product’s stock photos? Probably unclaimed damage. Regular postings/high seller ratings/detailed photos and description? Go for it!

Ralph Wood
    BPL Member

@visualscapes

Locale: Northern CA

I’ve had nothing but positive experiences buying and selling used items on GS. That said, if you’re in doubt and want to “risk” it be sure to pay through PayPal’s goods and services and not Friends and Family. That way if something does go awry you’ve got some recourse against the seller.

Ken P
    Spectator

@tyro

I posted my first WTB recently. I got 1 response. “I have a Cricket for you.” I’m delighted with it and my experience with my new internet friend. As with everything in life go into it willing to please and to be pleased. And add the 3% for protection. This is one the most civil forums. An atmosphere which seems to make the dishonest uncomfortable.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools