Topic

Pushing limits of three-season gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Pushing limits of three-season gear

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I know from a previous car camping trip that my quilt (20 degree EE down quilt) will get me through the night when it is close to 20 degrees if I have sufficient clothing on. I’m thinking of slipping away this weekend in the same kind of weather, except I won’t be close to my car. And, I’d rather not bring the same clothing as I would bring car camping because that would be five pounds of wool and fleece. On the other hand, this trip I will have a MLD superlight bivy (instead of none) and a better sleeping pad.

My question is, what’s the best way to supplement the this so I can try out cooler weather with some margin for error and without too much expense? I don’t want to pack my fears, but will gladly carry my minor neuroses when trying something newish. I have a summer quilt, also down, that I could throw over the top if I find myself too cold. I also have a summer-weight synthetic sleeping bag that would be heavy, but may be easier to keep under. I could also buy a liner, bring an extra fleece to wear at night, or throw in a few of those hand-warming pouches.

In addition to whatever I bring for extra margin, I’ll have my usual cool weather sleeping gear (a pair of wool socks, wool or synthetic baseline tops and bottoms), a puffy (which I usually throw over my feet), a thin balaclava, and a watch cap.

Mike B
    BPL Member

@highwarlok

Locale: Colorado

A couple of questions that might help folks help

What kind of shelter are you using? Enclosed will be warmer then a tarp

What is the summer quilt and summer bag options?

What sleeping pad are you using?

How much room will you have inside the bivy? With a taller pad you may compress your insulation layers if you are doubling up the quilts, which will reduce the amount of warmth they will hold in

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

The shelter is a BPWD canopy with two beaks. I was thinking it wouldn’t be that different from a tent if I pitch it low and use a bivy. My summer quilt is a Brooks Range Cloak 45. The sleeping bag is an REI travel sack. It’s not much insulation, but it is bigger. The sleeping pad is a Big Agnes Sand Mountain (2.5 inches thick, synthetic insulation, R-value 4). I’ve had it in the bivy with that quilt and there seemed to be room for more, but you are right it couldn’t hurt to check with whatever I decided to take.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I do something similar.  I wear a synthetic vest, down vest over that, synthetic balaclava.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

I have slept in a winter tent at 5F with a 15F degree bag (Older Montbell SS UL 15F or something the sort) and an EE 40F down quilt draped over. The quilt was ordered oversized for this purpose, so the inside bag wouldn’t be compressed. I was warm in just my thermals. Inside a bivy, I am confident I choosing the Cloak 45F and the EE 20F quilt could take me to zero or below.

On another occasion, I slept at -25F inside a hammock, and my top insulation were the same two bags draped over me. It is possible I wore some sort of down jacket, but I don’t recall at this point. I slept inside a winter sock and a tarp over the set up. Warm, warm, warm. Having said that I seem to sleep warmer than most people.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

High calorie food

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Adding your summer quilt would be the safe solution, is less than 1lb, and will cost no money. My suggestion would be to not initially deploy it and see if you are OK without it (test your limits).

My strategy has been to bring a bag/quilt which is warm enough for me in the weather I “expect”, and use my clothing to cover the temp drop that I sometimes experience. I my case, I am using an old ghost quilt which I am happy at 30F and can sleep down to around 20F wearing just my base.  If I am cold I use my puffy jacket as a quilt over my core. When I really expected cold I would have puff pants that would be brought.

–Mark

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Food is a good idea, especially since it’s not my habit to eat before sleep.

Taking the Cloak 45 was my first thought as the best option. I was concerned because it’s not an oversized quilt as mentioned above. It’s just big enough to cover me. But maybe that’s not an issue if I just need a few degrees boost. Turned sideways, it’s big enough to cover my core and would probably stay on just fine when I switch sides. The bivy and the EE straps should prevent any exposure to drafts.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Calories comes from the Latin word for heat.

No calories, no heat.

John S
    Spectator

@juany118

Just my 2 cents… Sleeping pad R value. If you get a bag certified as 20 degree, as an example, that bag is saying “on the ground with no pad you will live until 20 degrees Fahrenheit.” Don’t get me wrong it’ll suck but you’ll live.

I think people often forget how important a pad or under quilt is

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The EN ratings assume you are using “a basic foam mat”.

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

Using your water bottle as a hot water bottle will do wonders. be sure to test it before you put it in your sleeping bag!

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

If you’re cold when you go to bed, and you’re wearing a coat, it can be hard to warm up the sleeping bag. Paradoxically, you need to take off the coat to warm up the bag.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

@mjh I’m in the same boat as you this weekend. I’m looking to get away Sat/Sun and have the possibility of lows between 15-25F. I have a 20F EE down quilt and plan to supplement w/ wool socks, long johns, a hooded puffy & hat. I have slept in this system down to ~25F before so I know I’m within range, but I’d get pretty cold if it turned out to be 15F instead.

The “backup” I plan to bring is hand warmers. A pack of 2 is only 1.5oz, they’re cheap, last 8-10 hrs, and they can be deployed w/ almost zero effort at 2am if the need arises. The summer quilt or a liner will be much heavier, and heating up water bottles takes a lot more effort (esp if you don’t do it before going to sleep). My feet always get cold so I’d likely put one warmer at about my ankles, and then a second at my thighs if needed. One of these days, I’m going to get a pair of EE’s Sidekick booties but haven’t pulled the trigger on that yet.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Thanks for the advice everybody. My weather report is looking up. A few degrees warmer than it did earlier in the week, barely any wind, and dry. I think I’ll still take the Cloak 45. It’s only an overnight, I really don’t have a good range of experience to see how warm (or not) I sleep, and most of the established camping spots are low and near water.

I’ll probably ask for a proper insulted balaclava and some booties for Christmas.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

I ended up having a low of only ~28F last night so didn’t need (get to) test the hand warmer option as a backup. Maybe another time.

But I did try one new technique which may be helpful to others. As mentioned above, my feet almost always get cold while sleeping. I’ve tried various things like thick socks, wrapping a puffy vest around them etc. these have helped but never kept them warm all night.

However last night, my feet were warm & toasty ALL night thanks to this method. I took my puffy jacket and zipped it up. Then I pulled the sleeves inside out into the jacket. Then I cinched the waist cord. Finally, I slipped my feet into the sleeves until my toes were maybe 3-4” from the wrist cuff. So my feet were hugged tight by the sleeves, and inside the cinched down portion of the jacket body. It was awesome :)

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Test your limits and your gear at home in your backyard (if possible). This way, you will not have to wonder if you will be cold or not when you venture out into the backcountry.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

“Test your limits and your gear at home in your backyard (if possible).”

+1 to that. Or just go on a quick car camping overnight trip and bring supplemental gear “as needed”.

Regarding cold feet, It seems to me that I need to remember that my cold feet represent a symptom of a larger problem: lack of good circulation. I’ve been thinking about this a lot since I posted the following link about a month ago:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/interesting-study-about-cold-feet-in-a-sleeping-bag/ 

I discovered that when I started wearing down pants, my feet stayed much warmer. I also found it was much easier for me to get going in the morning or deal with a pre-dawn potty break while sporting down pants. They are just as integral to my shoulder season kit as a down jacket.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I don’t know the exact temperature last night for me, but it must have been somewhere near 30. My shoelaces and socks (hung on the guyline) froze solid, but a water bottle set on the ground did not freeze, presumably because the ground is still holding heat.

I slept fine under the single quilt until about 3:00 a.m. when I woke shivering. I think that’s just when the heat of dinner left me. I had a snack ready but just did not feel like eating, so I pulled the other quilt over my upper body and slept soundly until dawn. The worst part was putting on frozen socks and shoes the next morning.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools