Topic

pump sack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear pump sack

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Has anyone made a pump sack for a neoair? if so, what did you use to connect to the valve and how did you seal it into the sack? I see the pump sack that thermarest sells, but it seems pretty heavy at 3.4 oz.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

double post

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The go to answer I’ve seen here involves a plastic bag, a bit of hose and duct tape.

Here is one example,

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/any-value-to-an-air-mattress-inflator-bag/

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

YouTube video

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

^yep that works. I have a nylofume bag I’ve done that with. Also Ace Hardware sells tapered cork and rubber bungs in various sizes. I’m trying this with my packliner this season with a cork bung placed in the hole from the inside.

John Dallas
    BPL Member

@johndallas

I looked at it. In order for it to be worth it then my pad would have to increase in weight by the moisture in my breath.  Theoretically that may happen.  But after a week on the trail my scales don’t show a change in weight.  The only way I see it could be worth the trouble and weight is if I went when it was much colder and felt it reduced the efficiency of its insulating ability. If you do get one I would be interested in how you like it.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I am more concerned with the long term deleterious effects of moisture on the reflective layers inside the pad.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I’ve taken apart old inflatables that I’ve inflated with my mouth and it’s kind of gross. They all had mold growing inside them.

I’ve gone to a pump sack, tried a DIY solution which works fine, but now use this one. It doesn’t mate well to the neoair valve so you have to heat up the female connector on the pump sack and mold it a little bit so it fits better. Mine is 2 oz. I use it in cold weather to store wet shoes, water, wet socks, my filter, etc., and sleep right next to it so my stuff doesn’t freeze at night.

Craig B
    BPL Member

@kurogane

The other great benefit to a pump sack is the breath you save at altitude.  When you arrive at camp at 10K feet after gaining a couple K feet of elevation, it’s very easy to get light headed when blowing up your air mattress!  This is not a pleasant experience after a long day on the trail.  Totally worth the extra couple of ounces, and like Ryan said, you can use it for other things since it’s water proof.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

This is why I switched to Exped.  The Schnozzel is 2.1oz and replaces a large drybag with room for sleeping bag and clothes.   So a net ~1oz weight cost – or arguably better than that, since it’s a far more reliable drybag than DCF drybags that weigh ~1oz.   About 3 fills to blow up a pad, and a whole lot more robust than a jury-rigged plastic bag.

I can’t imagine why Thermarest don’t produce something similar.   Have Exped patented the idea of a drybag that doubles as an inflation sack?

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I’ve also been using the Schnozzel.  When my Exped Synmat 7 bit the dust, I went looking for a lower cost pad that also mates with the Schnozzle.  The REI Flash pad fits the bill perfectly, especially when REI offers them at a steep discount.  The reviews are mixed, which appears to be a quality control issue.  An any rate, I’m finding mine to be warm, comfortable, and reasonably lightweight at 14.9 oz.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Another Schnozzel user here who is totally satisfied.  It mates with an TAR xLite using a cheap, simple, reliable mod to attach the two.  Been using this system for 3 years.

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

I made one using the Thermarest Air Tap pump. I use a trash compactor bag and it serves double duty as a pack liner. It looks like the product has been discontinued, but I did a quick search and it appears there are a few still out there.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools