Topic

Pot that fits a large canister + stove?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pot that fits a large canister + stove?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Julie G
    BPL Member

@julie_g

Locale: Norway

Hi,

I’m looking for a pot, with lid (not a pan), which will hold a large canister (230g) and a stove (Soto Windmaster). I’m just going to be boiling water on solo hikes so a 700-1000 mL pot would be enough. I’ve been looking on the GSI Soloist, but it’s a bit on the heavy side. As for the titanium pots, I have no idea which would fit, so any recommendations?

Julie

James L
    BPL Member

@jimmerul

Julie,
    Any 4.5″ or wider pot that is at least 3.5″ tall will stow a large 220g cannister.
    The problem is getting a pot TALL enough in the sub 1000 ml range to stow the cannister PLUS your stove.

In titanium pots my bet is that a 1,000 to 1,100 ml pot will be your closest match.Forget anything smaller than Evernew and TOAKS sell pots in that size range that should work.
    The key to shopping around is having both the stove AND the cannister you will be using to IN HAND to get the minimum “stack height” of those two items. From there , you can determine which pots will work from the manufacturer’s scecs.

This one should work. Its not cheap but at 4.8 oz with lid, its half the weight of that GSI soloist pot and plastic lid at 8 oz.

http://toaksoutdoor.com/titanium1100mlpot.aspx

Another pot that should stow everything is the US mafe FOUR DOG Open Country 1 .1 gt bush pot. Its hard anodized has nice folding handles and a pour spot @ 6.8 oz with a lid. Its only $30 shipped from Four Dog.
    Its a better pot IMHO than the teflon Coated GSI ..
    http://fourdog.com/1-1-liter-bush-pot-hard-anodized/

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Not cheap, slightly larger, definitely would fit everything: Evernew 1.3 liter pot. I carried one of these during a long hike with my son as a two-person kitchen last summer. The pot fit a 220 canister, Gigapower stove, lighter, two spoons, a folded HD aluminum foil windbreak and a scrap of towel.

The .9 liter might was well. Order it from ZPacks and you get a cute little cuben bag, too.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/evernew.shtml

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Sorry…on second thought my question is related but would probably highjack the thread…will start a separate thread.

I’ve been considering ditching freezer bags and rehydrating/eating from the pot, but that means I need a larger pot. I however only require the pot to house the smaller 100g/110g/4oz canisters like SnowPeak/Jetboil/(new) MSR and (coincidentally also) a Soto Windmaster.

I was looking at the 130mm Toaks 900ml. From the previous responses it sounds like this *might* work, but does anyone have any direct experience with this (or similar) combination)?

Several reviews on Amazon say that a small canister and stove fit inside, but I am concerned about the rather wide fixed head of the Windmaster.

Apologies in advance for the slight thread drift…

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Good luck, my guess is that you won’t find a sub 1000 ml to hold a 230 gram canister AND Stove.  Here is a picture of my MSR Titan Kettle (850 ml) and it is just big enough to hold only the canister.  My 2 cents

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I have an Olicamp XTS 1 Liter pot (that I’m trying to sell right now on hammock forums).  It holds the larger canister and my kovea spider stove.  It comes with a silcone (or some kind of plastic) lid that holds on tight, and a mesh bag.  I’ve also procured a four dog stoves Ti lid for it (that is for sale with it).  the pot is 6.3 oz and the Ti lid is ~0.8 oz.  Pretty light for a strong 1 L pot with heat exchanger.

I don’t have pics of the pot with the canister/stove inside, but here is the pot and lids.

I switched to the MSR windburner setup, otherwise I would keep this for whenever I use a canister stove.  If you are interested let me know.

Julie G
    BPL Member

@julie_g

Thanks for all your comments, it really helped :) I think maybe I should consider getting a smaller pot and store the canister separate. Does the soloist hold a 230g canister and stove? I thought it did, but I’m not sure.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I suggest a total rethink.

A 230 g gas canister with plastic cap!! is a very robust item which can be thrown into your pack any old way. On the other hand, there are lots of small things, including the stove, which need some protection. I pack all those small things into the pot, put the lid on and encase it in a light stuff sack. That way I know all those things are safe.

He – sometimes the gas canister sits on TOP of the pot in my pack. Why not?

Cheers

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

I don’t know about the Soto Windmaster stove but I fit a BRS3000 and mini Bic under the concave base of a 230g canister in my Evernew 900ml (ECA265 model) without the frypan lid. I also fit in my cup/bowl which slides over the top of the canister.

Julie G
    BPL Member

@julie_g

Looking at my options, there isn’t a lot of weight to be saved especially if I want a pot to fit it all. The soloist probably won’t fit the cup, a Soto OD-1RX and a 220g/8oz canister, so I’m looking at smaller pot w/lid options + a cup/mug. I might go with GSI Minimalist because it will also function as a mug, even if the pot holder is bad. Are there any better options? I’m not going ultralight, so small weight differences doesn’t bother me :) Another option is to get a smaller stove, though I’m skeptical to the BRS3000.

On a side note: I’m going hiking above treeline at about 900-1700 meters/2900-5600 feet (in Norway), so I have to take wind in consideration.

Off topic question: I’ve been looking at quilts and at Zpacks/Katabantic/EE/etc, they only specify one temperature, would that be T-lim or T-comf? (I already have a 21F/-6C (T-lim) down comforter)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I just put my Soto Windmaster in my 900 mL Evernew Ti pot, and then put the 230 g canister separate.

Like Roger said, with the plastic cap it’s robust.

Jesse Jakomait
    BPL Member

@jakomait

Looking for something similar so I’ll revive this thread.  My stove is tiny and can fit anywhere but I want the lightest ti pot that fits the larger 230g fuel canister.  Price is not a concern and pot volume should be an easy variable to meet.  I can get away with a 650mL pot, I doubt it could be smaller and still fit the fuel.  Anyone have anything better (lighter) than the MSR Titan Kettle?

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

230g canisters are 110mm (4.33″) in diameter so base your search for pots on that spec.

Jesse Jakomait
    BPL Member

@jakomait

Thanks Bob!  Do you have the height as well (my quick googles wasn’t successful)?  I found Toaks has a series of 115mm dia pots with one 72mm or 92mm tall…

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I just measured a 230g Primus canister (also made my Taeyang in S Korea, who make ~80% of all canisters on the planet!) and it is 3-5/8″ tall. Which means it probably isn’t going to fit inside anything smaller than the Titan 850ml.

Ross T
    Spectator

@treiber-7

I’m a little late to this thread, and new to BPL, so forgive me if this is all well known or not specific enough (I dont have the soto windmaster). Im currently on a similar hunt for a larger 2p setup and planning on using the MSR pocket rocket 2 with a 230g canister inside a toaks 115mm 1100ml pot (still to purchase all)

First is something I dont think I’ve seen mentioned in this thread. I always turn my canister upside down to nest inside my pots (I use the plastic cap to protect the valve). I can still fit my mini bic underneath the upside down canister inside the pot (it fits to the side of the plastic cap) and when using a 230g canister I can also fit my toaks titanium folding spoon underneath the canister and still within the sides of the canister (presumably would then fit inside the pot too). Everything else would go on top of the canister.

Since I dont currently own the pocket rocket, I can only speak to what I do have: the BRS stove. When I put the BRS stove on top of the upside down 230g canister, I can get it so that it does not protrude above the top surface of the canister. I mean, its perfectly at the top surface. Measuring the BRS alone would presumably give me the max depth of the metal bubble indent on the bottom of a canister:

Coleman 70/30 230g fuel canister (use the MSR isopro 110g in my 1p setup and plan to use MSR isopro 220g for my 2p, but could only find an 230g coleman to write this):

• 3-3/8 inch tall
    • 4-3/8 wide
    • 15/16 inch deep indent on bottom of can

Ultimately, if you have the stove and a canister to play around with, I would do just that. You can tape a couple sheets of paper into a tube that is the diameter and height of the pots you are considering and roughly see which dimensions and configuration works best. Just play around with the canister right side up, upside down, different items on top and bottom of the canister within the “pot”.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools