Topic

Portable Black Pipe DIY hammock stand

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Portable Black Pipe DIY hammock stand

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

by No means did i make this up myself. However.. it works well, it was simple to make, it breaks down fairly simple for storage. It is NOT lightweight and I would not carry it on any trips with me.. but you could break it down and transport it in your car/van/truck. I will post 2 pictures of it set up.. at my job for those who have not seen the other post with the pictures.. then I will post 2 pictures of it broken down (laying on the floor) and i will also list the sizes of the black pipe and which pieces you will need. Everything is 1 inch black pipe..

So as said. It is all 1 inch black pipe.  You will need 4 lengths of 6 foot threaded pipe. 4 lengths of 2 foot threaded pipe. 2 Tees. 2 elbows, 1 union and 4 end caps.

So 2 lengths of the the 6 foot pipes will be joined together with the union.. this is where it connects in the center and makes it easy to break down. Screw one end of the union onto each end of the straight 6 ft pipes ( 2 of them)

The 4 ( 2 foot lengths) are connected to to Tees.. this makes the “stand legs”.

The remaining 2 (6 ft lengths) get screwed into the Tees on the legs.. and on the top of the 6 ft lengths you will need an elbow (on each one).

At this point.. you now have the 4 pieces shown in the picture on the floor.. this is how i keep it for storage when its broken down.

To set it up.. screw one end of the straight 6 ft length into each one of the elbows.. and connect them together with that union.

I used black gaffers tape on the top ends so the straps with have extra friction to grip.. but i did not have any problems without it.. wrapping straps around the pipes. Hopefully this all makes sense and you can understand how to make it. I was lucky to have the pipe laying around at work from the steam fitters so i cut what i needed and threaded it here.. but im sure you can get it cut and threaded from lowes or home depot.

Post some pictures when you have it made and set up!! Good luck.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

FYI.. I am 5 ft 10 and I weigh 195 – 205 lbs and the stand is stable with no problems at all!! No, I can use a tarp with this set up.. It only designed to set up a hammock.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Thanks much!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

No problem.  Its pretty simple. Hopefully i explained it well and the photos give an idea of what it looks like. I also used teflon tape.. it is not needed.. i think i just used it out of habbit when i thread pipe for a job.. but really there is no need for it on this kind of thing.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Since it is black pipe, you could plumb it for propane and drill some small holes for mood lighting.  Nice job.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Neat!  I wonder if one could do the same thing using PVC pipe?  Easier to cut to length and lighter in weight, tho still not backpackable.  Any reason not to use PVC?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I don’t know since I haven’t tried it, but I’d worry that PVC wouldn’t be strong enough to hold the forces that lying in a hammock create.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

PVC pipe is not a strong material. You would have to use at least 3” pvc to even come close to strong enough… maybe you could get away w/ 2” Schedule 80 (thicker walls). Anything less might hold you temporarily but would def not last. PVC gets very brittle when cold, and degrades in UV light, so would only get weaker over time.

keep in mind that dirtbag’s setup doesn’t require any cutting… you can buy lengths precut and threaded at big box stores.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

You would need some thick heavy duty PVC… and definitely much thicker then 1 inch.. for sure.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

The trick to using PVC would be to design it such that the PVC was in compress or tension: no bending moments.  At that point you would be looking at a tensegrity design concept.

https://tensegritywiki.com/wiki/How_To_Build_A_3_Strut_Hammock_Stand

Doable, requires space and needs some careful planning

Google Tensegrity & Hammock

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

The beauty of Dirtbag’s construction is (with the load attached at the corners), the verticals are only loaded vertically and the horizontal member is only loaded horizontally.

It clearly works in 1″ black iron (actually steel), in Schedule-40 (Sch-80 is not commonly available at DIY homer centers) I presume and would also work in 1″ galvanized steel pipe.

It certainly wouldn’t work in 1″ PVC, even Sch-80, might in 2″ and probably would be fine in 3″ PVC.  I’d suggest 3″ ABS instead because it’s cheaper, lighter, stiffer and more tolerant of UV and high temperatures.  I see fishermen on my beach using racks of 3″ and 4″ ABS to stage and repair their nets on.  The 6-foot lengths are unfortunate because ABS (and PVC, black iron and galv) mostly come in 10-footers.  A plumbing supply with 20 footers would reduce waste.

But, instead, I’d suggest trying wood 2″ x 2″s (this being BPL) with plywood gussets.

I’m sure it would work with 2x3s or cheaper 2x4s and 2x4s are readily available in 12-foot lengths so no joining would be necessary in the middle.

If you wanted to break it down to 6-foot pieces, then I’d glue&screw a plywood box around the one 2×2 where it joins the other in the middle.  Or drill out each piece for a 1/2″ hardwood dowel.  The two horizontals would not otherwise need to be secured since they are in compression.  Likewise, plywood sleeves or dowels could be used at the top of each upright to receive the horizontal 2x2s.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Yea, even if you kept PVC in compression only, like the Tensegrity setup, you’d need it to be pretty beefy pipe, I’d wager 2″ at least.

Just for grins, I happened to have some 3/4″ galvanized iron pipe and PVC out back so put together a quick and dirty setup to demonstrate differences in flexibility/rigidity. This obviously isn’t a perfect experiment/example, nor does it approximate the specific forces the pipe would experience in these hammock setups. Just wanted to see how the two pipes would react.

Here’s a pic of the two pipes, extended roughly 7′ from a fixed anchor (wedged in the rungs of a ladder). The galv pipe had just a little deflection. The PVC was already sagging 8-9″ under just its own weight.

Then I hung a nalgene filled halfway w/ water (roughly 1.5lb total) at the end of each pipe. The galv pipe still had barely noticeable deflection. The 3/4″ pipe darn near touched the ground, which was about 3′ of deflection.

So, would PVC hold under direct compression? If it wasn’t allowed to deflect, probably… but its SO flexible that it just bows out of the way under even slight compressive forces if not stiffened thru larger pipe size or some other method.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

BTW, I read “tensa”-something and didn’t look close enough at the pic Jon posted to realize it wasn’t the typical tensa-hedron single person hammock stand. ( https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/2019/06/17/make-your-own-tensahedron-stand/ )

That thing is AMAZING! As a single person unit, it would be quite heavy for backpacking… but if you split that up between 3 people, now you’re getting into the realm of a real option. Love it! So many cool hammock stands out there!

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

^^ Ryan thanks for those photos. That was a perfect demonstration.

2×2 with plywood gussetts?  That would be interesting. Might work. I’m picturing or imagining a weight limit. Like 150? hmmm

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Thanks for the comments on doing this (or NOT) with PVC pipe.  Makes sense that it would bend under load.  My other experiences with PVC have not involved stressing longer lengths.  Appreciate the DIY’ers!

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Carbon tube anyone?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools